Looking to try out Linux on my Dell

C

CharlesP2001

I'm fed up with Windows XP and I'd like to try out Linux. However I've never before used Linux and I'm kinda wondering where I should start. I know this is a Mac forum and may be an odd place to ask about Linux, but many of the people here seem to be experienced with multiple OSes and I figure I may find some good advice here.

Anyway, I'd like a good general-purpose Linux to install on my Dell Inspiron laptop and I'd appreciate any suggestions. I don't need anything specifically, but I'd like to test out the waters. I'm looking to totally erase Windows and put Linux on so I don't need one that'll install on a drive with XP.

Also, is Linux targeted by viruses/spyware/ect.?

OP
K

Kokopelli

i would recommend Ubuntu. A nice simple distro that is well thought of and supported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
if you want good support for your laptop then either Ubuntu os SuSe imo.

both are easier to install than windows and have a great following and support forums. Not only that you can get a lot of rpms already built for SuSe and Ubuntu can use straight debs so id plump for one of them

OP
C

CharlesP2001

Fedora Linux

I tried downloading the ISOs for Fedora Linux but Roxio on my laptop couldn't burn them. It just gives an error message. I've got the latest update to my version of Roxio, and I did try downloading the ISOs again, but still no go.

I'm downloading the Ubuntu Linux now.

I'm not really concerned with a laptop vs. desktop Linux, I just want a good general one I can use on all of the Windows computers in the household.

We'll see how Ubuntu turns out.

Now here's a question, how do you folks think your favorite version of Linux stacks up compared to Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
They stack up good TBH its only the convienence of OSX that keeps me to it sometimes as i like to play around with systems :D

eg having CS2, Office etc native without all the hassle of emulating and having real plug n play hardware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
These are my favorite distributions:

1. SUSE (The best UI, and the best package manager).
2. Fedora (The networking GUI tools in Fedora make setting up Samba a breeze).
3. Ubuntu (Good selection of packages, fits on one CD).

If you want to see some wicked 3d windowing stuff. Check out these videos of Novell's Desktop Linux. It should be released soon.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=novell+desktop+linux

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.