NFS Shares

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Sometime ago I posted something about automounting samba shares. Here it is..
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/312619-mounting-network-drives.html#post1589883

Recently however I got to know that considering that Mac OS is essentially Unix based, I able to use NFS. From what I hear, NFS is far more faster for transfer speeds over the network. If that assumption is wrong, please correct me.

As of now, the shares are working really well, but I would like to see how fast NFS works.

I have run into a snag though. I Googled as much as I could but I don't think I'm getting the right information

The fileserver is running OpenSUSE 13.1. I have setup the NFS server looking at the articles on the web. However being new to NFS setup, I would need some kind of guidance as to all the options like no_all_squash etc...

Does anyone here know how to setup the NFS Server properly on OpenSUSE 13.1 & NFS Client on a Mac running Yosemite?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are comparing NFS to SMB as opposed to SMB2, then NFS is significantly faster. SMB2 comes closer to matching NFS speeds, but doesn't match/beat it..

mavericks+nfs+vs+smb.png

So you'll definitely see a boost switching to NFS if you can..

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I'm not sure if I'm using SMB2 at the moment. How do I find that out?
Anyways, does anyone know how to setup NFS shares on the mac?

I tried all the methods of mounting like Command + K and putting the server information.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.