iPad 2 Storage Problems w/iOS 8

Reaction score
Just updated to iOS 8.0.2 on iPad 2. Storage changed from 40GB available on iOS 7 to 21GB availabe on iOS 8. I expected iOS to take up more storage on iOS 8 but not that much. I noticed that in Video App on iOS 7 even cloud streamed videos would show up as taking uip storage (music also), but could be deleted in settings usage to increase available storage. Cloud streamed videos in iOS 8 seem to decrease available storage also, but Video and Music Apps no longer show in settings/usage to delete files (will show if physically downloaded), and cannot be deleted within apps themsselves. Has anyone noticed this problem? I have also deleted unused apps and files, but no significant change in available storage has resulted. What else is using extra storgage is unknown.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something is not right and I really can't tell from your post what you have and don't have on the iPad. My advice is to first back it up to your Mac and then reset it. That means downloading and installing 8.0.2 again. That may get your free space back. Assuming that your iPad 2 is a 64 GB model?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.