Best mac-compatible monitors on a budget

Reaction score
I'm researching large monitors to accompany a new macbook pro. While I would love the apple monitor, it's just not in my budget. I'm a graphic designer so need a monitor that is somewhat comparable. Suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As a graphic designer, I imagine you're looking for a monitor of quality? If so, take a look at Dell monitors, BenQ, and to some extent Viewsonic. The Apple Cinema display would be my choice but at $999.00 is definitely pricey. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Compatibility (mentioned in the title)…is really not the issue. Almost all monitors sold today are compatible. But like mentioned in the posting…comparability is a different thing.

Better quality monitors are IPS based (better quality being better visual quality). They are generally more expensive…and IPS technology is used in the $999 Apple Thunderbolt display. AND…since quality is important to you (or comparabilty to your MacBook Pro)…it would be best to look at it before buying it so you are satisfied with it.

Finally. Since you have a new MacBook Pro (which I'm going to assume it has a retina display). You are going to find it VERY difficult to find an external monitor with comparable quality…since I don't think anyone sells a "retina external display"…yet.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.