cleaning my mac..safe?

Reaction score
Hi, My Macbook is full of info and really slow. I have time machine and backups that run every 10 days. If I erase everything off my computer after a back up, will the info pom my harddrive be ok after the next back up, or would it sync and remove the stuff off my external harddrive as well? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, My Macbook is full of info and really slow.

If by "full of info" you mean that your hard drive is almost full or is full…then a Time Machine backup may be almost as full (unless you added a bunch of stuff in the last 10 days). So restoring from a Time Machine backup may not be helpful.

What you need to do is…get rid of the stuff/junk once & for all. Unused Apps, videos, music, documents, photos, etc.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

My computer is full of files, I use a 1 tr b back up external.
I want to back up and then clear my computer of all files, but when I back up again afterwards, will the computer sync with the external and wipe the info which was deleted off the mac also off the external harddrive, or will it just every time add any new info without deleting the old back ups?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.