Iphone 6..?

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently the proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy s4. My upgrade eligibility just came, and I am so excited to get a new phone! However, a problem arose when I realized that the iphone 6 just recently came out. What would be the benefits of switching to IOS? Will an iPhone last longer and more up to date in updates than an Android? And what about bendgate?

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

A phone last as long as you think its useful. To some, it's years, to others it until the next model comes out. Not sure what "more up to date" means here. But Apple does provide updates to fix issues and add minimal features between major upgrades..

Any device that is as thin as the iPhone 6 and bent with force is likely going to bend. You can make of it whatever you like. Be careful with the device and I'm sure it'll be fine..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What would be the benefits of switching to IOS?

I think that this is something you need to research. The choice of a devices OS is a personal choice. It's just like asking…"What would the benefits be of the Mac OS (versus the Windows OS)?"

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am facing the same dilemma. I currently have a Samsung Note II and I am eligible for an upgrade too. I am trying to decide between the iPhone 6+ and the Samsung Note 4. The physical size is very similar so that is really not a factor.

I have a MacAir, a Macbook Pro, and an iPad. I am drawn to the compatibility an iPhone would offer. Also the iPhone 6+ supposedly has better visibility outdoors.

On the other side, I like having a built in pen which the Samsung has. Also longer battery life and a less "bendable" case. I have "played" with an iPhone 6 but not the plus. I do think it will be more fragile than the Note 4 but I am not hard on phones so I really am not concerned - I will get it a case.

So I am thinking that I might get the Note 4 which I can get delivery on by Oct. 17th and if I am not sold on it in two weeks return it and order an iPhone 6+ which will not be available for at least 4 weeks.

Lisa

Reaction score
I am facing the same dilemma. I currently have a Samsung Note II and I am eligible for an upgrade too. I am trying to decide between the iPhone 6+ and the Samsung Note 4. The physical size is very similar so that is really not a factor.

I have a MacAir, a Macbook Pro, and an iPad. I am drawn to the compatibility an iPhone would offer. Also the iPhone 6+ supposedly has better visibility outdoors.

On the other side, I like having a built in pen which the Samsung has. Also longer battery life and a less "bendable" case. I have "played" with an iPhone 6 but not the plus. I do think it will be more fragile than the Note 4 but I am not hard on phones so I really am not concerned - I will get it a case.

So I am thinking that I might get the Note 4 which I can get delivery on by Oct. 17th and if I am not sold on it in two weeks return it and order an iPhone 6+ which will not be available for at least 4 weeks.

Lisa

I personally am staying with Apple. After that S4 ordeal. If i "Was" gonna look at a note I would take a look at that Note Edge. It looks pretty slick.

It's just the android portion of it that doesn't sit well. like i said after the whole S4 happening. (meaning i hated it and took a beating on trying to get rid of it.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Good friend of mine just traded in his iPhone 4S for the Note 3 (Verizon) and he absolutely loves it. He showed me several things he could do with it that puts my iPhone 5C to shame. The only thing about it that I didn't like was its size. I'm fairly certain that if I upgrade sometime in the future it won't be for a large size phone like the 6+ or a Note 4. My wife is a different story though.... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good friend of mine just traded in his iPhone 4S for the Note 3 (Verizon) and he absolutely loves it. He showed me several things he could do with it that puts my iPhone 5C to shame. The only thing about it that I didn't like was its size. I'm fairly certain that if I upgrade sometime in the future it won't be for a large size phone like the 6+ or a Note 4. My wife is a different story though.... :D

We had the size discussion on another thread. Size is not an issue for me as my current Note II is very close to the same size. It just is not a factor.

I guess I would like the option of getting my text on my iPad from my phone which I have been told is a nice feature of the iPhone/iPad compatibility. Also the iCloud ability to coordinate content.

Still debating.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I would like the option of getting my text on my iPad from my phone which I have been told is a nice feature of the iPhone/iPad compatibility. Also the iCloud ability to coordinate content.

Definitely an important consideration. Apple just makes it so much easier and I foresee it will even be better when Yosemite is released and we can use iCloud Drive.

C

chas_m

What would be the benefits of switching to IOS? Will an iPhone last longer and more up to date in updates than an Android? And what about bendgate?

Thanks!

Advantages of switching to iOS:
* Timely updates not held hostage by carrier
* No malware/viruses
* Much better thought out, integrated and consistent OSAMA
* Much better integration with hardware
* Much better after-sale support
* No carrier bloat ware
* Way better App Store
* Better resale value
* Better security
* Stronger commitment to user privacy - no user tracking for ad purposes, for example.
* No collection of user data except where necessary, and only with permission

Major DISadvantages of Apple/iOS:

* No plastic phones that better survive drops
* **** iOS and new models make you want a new one every year!
* Rooting/jail breaking/opening up security holes strongly discouraged (actually, that's probably an advantage)

Bend gate: overblown, see Consumer Reports article.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another pro for iOS that Chas didn't mention...

The worst applications on iOS tend to be better made than the best applications on Android. Because of the nature of the SDK, iOS apps don't have to play to the least common denominator and therefore tend to be of much higher quality.

There are of course exceptions to that statement, but that one point was certainly one of the most striking things for me when I switched from Android to iOS.

In my never-to-be-humbled-opinion, if you enjoy tinkering, poking and proding to get your machine to work the way it should, or the way you want it to, Android is for you (no question). If you just want it to work and integrate with your life (and you don't want to sell your soul and identity to Google), then iOS is for you.

And if you're the kind of person that a stylus appeals to (sorry, "S-Pen", in Engrish)... well, 1997 called and they want YOU back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with CWA on ease of use on IOS Vs Android. On a phone I really don't want to tinker, just make calls and do a few things. Screen is too small for the kind of work I do on a computer.

I do like the tinkering a lot more though with a tablet as it's closer to a computer screen in size and I can easily do a lot more then on my phone.

The one thing about Apples devices I wonder about with the new Lightning plug, if you plug it into your computer does it still not mount on the desktop? Someone said it now does and if that is the case can you access the whole file system? That part impresses me on an android tablet and could come in handy on the phone also. I really hate having on my older iPad having to use iTunes or the cloud to move files to and from a computer.

C

chas_m

The one thing about Apples devices I wonder about with the new Lightning plug, if you plug it into your computer does it still not mount on the desktop?

It can if that's what you want.

Someone said it now does and if that is the case can you access the whole file system?

By default, no. With the help of third-party apps, yes. Bad idea in most cases, as you can easily brick the phone if you don't know what you are doing.

That part impresses me on an android tablet and could come in handy on the phone also. I really hate having on my older iPad having to use iTunes or the cloud to move files to and from a computer.

There's always been (well, in recent years) other ways to move files to and from, but remember the iPhone isn't a file-oriented system. Because it's not a desktop computer.

I haven't seen anything that I thought was quicker or easier than using a cloud service such as copy.com or Dropbox (et al) thus far, but it's also not difficult to add files to programs using iTunes; I use it all the time to add PDFs to Goodreader or movie files to VLC or GPlayer.

Some programs, like my audio-recording programs on the iPhone, set up a mini-webserver so I can grab files through a web browser and bring them over to the Mac. I use this for recordings and movie files all the time. In short, you've always had these options, but for day-to-day work Apple's system works fine for most people, and with iCloud Drive I suspect it will get exponentially easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay chas_m, I took the plunge. I ordered an iPhone 6+. I am supposed to get it in 2-4 weeks. You had some very logical and convincing arguments. I did go to an Apple store to actually hold a plus and compare it to the regular iPhone 6. I matched the iPhone 6+ to my current Note II for size and weight. The iPhone 6+ is slightly longer, a little slimmer, and a lot thinner thus weighing less than my Note II. I like the feel and responsiveness of it.

I talked to a resident "genius" and he did a brief demo. I asked if they had them in stock and he said yes but it depended on the carrier. If I wanted to find out I had to stand in a long line to talk to someone else. I looked at the other people in the line and I swear they looked like they could have been extras in a zombie movie! How long had they been waiting????? So I thanked him and left, went home and ordered it. I can wait. Besides I ordered the gold one and he didn't think they had any of those in stock - only silver.

The phone was my last hold out for going totally over to Apple. I really think it is all good.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that is what I have been reading too. I plan to get it a Pong case too. It is supposed to protect you from radiation and more important to me, extend the phone's signal range. I do live in a cell tower frugal area. And it will help to give it more stability. I like to carry my phone in my back pocket so we shall see if I will have to change that.

Pong Radiation Protection Cases for iPhone, iPad and Samsung Galaxy

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.