Consumer Reports: "Bending Controversy" overblown

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was just reading this story about 60 minutes ago. Great objective info!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There was 6 people complain to Apple about this, with what 10,000,000 sold in the week. Not bad IMHO, but I did see a "Bend Youtube test" and the bloke had to really put his thumb weigh behind it.
Mute issue I reckon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You mean I can not run over my iphone 6+ with a Sherman Tank and have it still work? :D Grin

On another NOTE, the Note 3 sure could take a lot of weight! :D Grin

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'll give the mainstream tech media credit, though: they are 100 percent consistent on getting any story that paints Apple in a negative light fundamentally wrong in at least some aspect.
So, negative critiques of Apple are always wrong when reported? Apple is always great and never makes mistakes if it's reported as such?

Mute issue I reckon.
Moot point? I'd say the discussion has hardly been mute. :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On a serious note and in reply to Van, I feel it's been a Bit exaggerated and the tests do prove that as other phones bend easier, but it's still there but I doubt it's the issue it's being made into.

And yes Van, did you not know people at Apple never ever make one mistake? They never even use erasers on pencils they are so perfect! I am Kidding in case you can not tell! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have seen bent phones and wondered how they got that way until i was shopping at Best Buy and a funny ringtone went off the person standing a few feet away reached into her back pocket and pulled the phone out that pretty much summed it up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...reached into her back pocket and pulled the phone out that pretty much summed it up.

I'm going to make an assumption that this person had plenty of "junk in the trunk" as well!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
So, negative critiques of Apple are always wrong when reported? Apple is always great and never makes mistakes if it's reported as such?

Well said. It's naive to believe that Apple products are the holy grail of technology that "just work" 24/7. Every product has its issues. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Apple make good products with generally good reliability, but nothing is perfect, as some people want to believe.

Reaction score
can i say something about this did you notice that none of the videos showed the iPhone being tested after it came out of a warm pocket let me explain why cell phones actually bend naturally so they don't brake the touch screen now for the down side yes the phone will break however if you take it fresh out of your warm pocket you will notice the phone is plyable it will in fact bend and on some phones bend a lot its nothing new do you wonder why motorola stopped making the attrix android phone for it was because the phone actually bended like a bridge and so did the screen they where afraid the phone would electrocute someone

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can i say something about this did you notice that none of the videos showed the iPhone being tested after it came out of a warm pocket let me explain why cell phones actually bend naturally so they don't brake the touch screen now for the down side yes the phone will break however if you take it fresh out of your warm pocket you will notice the phone is plyable it will in fact bend and on some phones bend a lot...

Are you suggesting that if the outdoor air temperature is 90°F…and if human "rear-end" temp. is 98.6°F…that this increase of 8.6°F will noticeably increase the pliability of aluminum?

Or a 2nd scenario. If someone is indoors…and the ambient temp. in an air-conditioned room is 75°F. Are you suggesting that 98.6°F - 75°F = 23.6°F temp. difference is enough to noticeably increase the pliability of aluminum?

Personally I don't think that this is enough of a temp. diff. to be significant.

If you were referring to a different part (other than the aluminum body of the iPhone)…please mention.:)

- Nick

p.s. Just for fun;)…the melting point of aluminum is 1,221°F (660.3°C).

OP
C

chas_m

So, negative critiques of Apple are always wrong when reported? Apple is always great and never makes mistakes if it's reported as such.

Nope. That's neither said nor inferred in my post. You sure like putting (the wrong) words in people's mouths, are you sure you don't work in the media?

What I actually said, since apparently it needs clarification, is that the media get at least some aspect of those negative stories fundamentally wrong, particularly in the early reporting.

Is that clear enough?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You put a 6-8mm thick plastic or aluminum phone in your back pocket and then sit on it for a few hours and it bends - shocking news.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What I actually said, since apparently it needs clarification, is that the media get at least some aspect of those negative stories fundamentally wrong, particularly in the early reporting.

Is that clear enough?

You said that they always get something wrong and I asked if this was always the case. I'm not really sure how that doesn't adequately address what you said explicitly.

And seriously, I'm not going to warn you against about the underhanded sarcasm. You can approach a conversation without passive aggressively attacking a person when they call into question your quite obvious defence of Apple.

Nope. That's neither said nor inferred in my post. You sure like putting (the wrong) words in people's mouths, are you sure you don't work in the media?
See above. Stop directing critiques at people.

OP
C

chas_m

You said that they always get something wrong and I asked if this was always the case. I'm not really sure how that doesn't adequately address what you said explicitly.

Try reading your post #5 in this thread and then explain to me who's engaging in "underhanded sarcasm" here. You willfully misinterpreted my comment (as you frequently do) to engage in the very act you accuse me of.

All I said was that the media has a habit of getting at least one aspect of their negative stories about Apple fundamentally wrong. You've deliberately misinterpreted this as me saying the stories are wrong. This is incorrect. I'm not accusing all media stories about Apple that are negative of being completely wrong. I'm saying they usually get at least some detail wrong -- sometimes big errors, sometimes little errors, but it's remarkably noticeable that they do this.

It was in no way a defense of anything. That's your misinterpretation. It was a comment on sloppy reporting.

Stop directing critiques at people.

Again I direct you to your own passive-aggressive and sarcastic post #5 in this thread.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You put a 6-8mm thick plastic or aluminum phone in your back pocket and then sit on it for a few hours and it bends - shocking news.

ROFL - had to be the best part of this thread so far!

Reaction score
Try reading your post #5 in this thread and then explain to me who's engaging in "underhanded sarcasm" here. You willfully misinterpreted my comment (as you frequently do) to engage in the very act you accuse me of.

All I said was that the media has a habit of getting at least one aspect of their negative stories about Apple fundamentally wrong. You've deliberately misinterpreted this as me saying the stories are wrong. This is incorrect. I'm not accusing all media stories about Apple that are negative of being completely wrong. I'm saying they usually get at least some detail wrong -- sometimes big errors, sometimes little errors, but it's remarkably noticeable that they do this.

It was in no way a defense of anything. That's your misinterpretation. It was a comment on sloppy reporting.

Again I direct you to your own passive-aggressive and sarcastic post #5 in this thread.

Well it more seemed like Van was disagreeing with you on your first post. More of back and forth banter, However it more seemed like you were attacking him personally in your post following his. I would say have a disagreement just don't personally attack.

just my two cents.

OP
C

chas_m

I'm a little tired of his habit of willfully misinterpreting things I post and attacking them sarcastically. It's very unbecoming conduct for a moderator.

Nonetheless I will cheerfully apologize for anything I posted that comes across as personally insulting. I intended only to criticize the behavior, not the person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Some of the reports I read over the last few weeks specifically mentioned people who carry their iPhone in their front pocket too. I am of that variety and it does make me a little cautious to adopt an iPhone 6. I want one, but am still mulling it over. I wouldn't call it a design flaw because, as bobtomay pointed out, it's just natural for a soft metal like aluminum to be pliable as you stretch it further and thinner. You can't expect phone makers to use indestructible materials.

I guess I'll have to be extra careful with it or stick to my 5 until the next iPhone comes out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.