Apple Laserwriter 12/640PS Printer

Reaction score
This printer is still in use, with an ethernet connection to a router. Would it be possible to use it to print wirelessly?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suppose anything is possible but that's a very old printer and I doubt that an adapter or dongle exists for it to enable wireless. If it's still working OK, just continue to use it as you already are.

OP
I
Reaction score
I would like to print from a laptop in another room, which connects to the router wirelessly. I am clueless about what would be required to (or even if it would be possible to) connect to the printer through the router.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This printer is still in use, with an ethernet connection to a router. Would it be possible to use it to print wirelessly?

Yikes…that's a VERY VERY old Apple printer!!!;)

I have tried using a number of wireless gizmo's/dongles over the years in an attempt to allow an Apple computer (without built in WiFi)…or a printer (Apple or non-Apple)…to be able to operate over a WiFi network…and I have NEVER had any success.

And when talking about such an old printer like this (1996ish). Even though it has ethernet (and many of these WiFi gizmos/dongles can work via the internet port)…there just aren't the drivers written to communicate with such an old printer. Plus it's an Apple printer making it just that much more of a "rare animal"…which makes it all the less likely that someone created drivers for such an old Apple printer.

And like I mentioned. I've tried to get WiFi gizmo's to work with MUCH newer printers from HP, Canon, etc….which would have had WiFi drivers written for them…and the gimos are supposed to work with these printers…and I still couldn't get things to work.

Why? Because these WiFi gizmos are supposed to work with both the Mac and Windows OS's. But in reality…they work better with the Windows OS. The Mac OS (and Mac's in general)…just get left "out in the cold" when it comes to these sort of 3rd party gizmo products.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to print from a laptop in another room, which connects to the router wirelessly. I am clueless about what would be required to (or even if it would be possible to) connect to the printer through the router.

I know that you would REALLY like to continue using this printer…but if you want the benefits of WiFi (wireless printing)…it's really time for a new printer!;)

I have a Brother laser printer/scanner/photocopier (which has built-in WiFi)…that I've been using for at least 3-5 years…and it works great! And I got it for about $100.:)

Believe it or not. The wireless gizmos/gadgets that claim to add WiFi functionality to older non-WiFi printers…can cost a pretty penny. Maybe even a good portion of the $100 I spent for my wireless printer. So if someone is spending that much for a WiFi gizmo…why not just buy the whole new printer??…no "gizmos" needed!:)

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
I have a bluetooth adapter that looks like a usb flash drive, which came with a bunch of stuff that I got with a used laptop some years ago. Obviously there isn't a usb port on the printer, but I have an adapter that I could attach to the printer. This whole project may seem daffy, but thinking about it more, the printer is currently connected to an iMac G4 and works great. The iMac doesn't have a bluetooth connection, but it does have the printer drivers, and I think I might be able to connect the bluetooth adapter and possibly access the antique laser printer that way. It is a stellar printer, cranking out copies with the speed of light (unless they have illustrations, then it gets slow) and somewhere along the line I even acquired a back-up toner cartridge. My husband uses it all the time with his iMac, but I have never connected my PowerMac to his computer (I don't even know for sure how to do that!), which might be another solution.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMac doesn't have a bluetooth connection, but it does have the printer drivers, and I think I might be able to connect the bluetooth adapter and possibly access the antique laser printer that way.

This may work with the G4 iMac (to send & receive signals wirelessly)...but you still need something added to the printer so it can send & receive signals wirelessly. The bigger problem is the printer...not the iMac G4.;)

And by the way...you can add an Airport card to an iMac G4...which will make the iMac G4 capable of wireless communication. But...this is still not solution for the printer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD

The answers all assume you want the printer to be disconnected from ethernet and want the printer to be wireless. Or, do you just want your Mac to print? Even though it's old the printer still supports the standard print comm protocol - LPD. Usable by new and old Macs - without the need to do any complicated "sharing" setup.

Please clarify if you want the printer itself to be wireless. Or, that you just want to be able to print from your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.