Apple ID Issues on IPad

Reaction score
So, I have one of the original IPads. My Apple ID was attached to an email account that is no longer in use and is no longer accessible. I had added another email that is in use, but my IPad still recognizes the nonexistent email as the main email.

So, like, when I go to update my apps, I get the "Sign in to ITunes Store" pop up for the Apple ID for "Inaccessible Obsolete Email Address." I go to punch in the password, and no password that I can remember or have written down works. So, after 3 tries I get the "Get Password" link, and come to My Apple ID. I click next, and can't click "Email authentication" because that email is obsolete. So, I pick "Answer security questions." It says to verify my birthdate to continue. I punch in my birthdate. It says the authentication information provided does not match their records. (WHAT!?)

So, I go back. I click "Forgot your Apple ID." I type in my name, my current email address, and prior addresses including the OBSOLETE one listed for my Apple ID. I reset my password to a complicated one that is 16 characters long, because the 11 character long password I'd originally typed in wasn't long enough. (WHAT!?) Then, I think, cool. I am good to go. Right?

I go back to my app store, I get the password prompt for my apple ID being the OLD OBSOLETE EMAIL. I type in the new and improved 16 character password. And it doesn't work. I can't type in my new email address to the Apple ID there, because it's set and won't let me.

So I can't access my Apple ID on my Ipad. Do I need to wipe my IPad and start over as if I'm a whole new being? What is going on? And why, oh why, does Apple itself not allow me to contact it without paying a zillion dollars for Apple Care to ask how to fix this? Rather than buy Apple Care, or buy a new IPad, I'll just go somewhere else altogether if I can't fix this. Actually, I'll just quit, because I'm too poor to buy anything new. BAD WORDS!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, try resetting your iPad. And for problems like this, you can contact Apple Customer Support toll free (no charge) as it does not involve Apple Care which you do not have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.