Laser printer recommendations to use with Mac mini

Reaction score
Need to buy a new printer. I want to get a Wifi laser printer and am open to suggestions. I see that Brother and Canon have more positive than negative user reviews on the Amazon and Staples websites, but some people have had issues with getting them to run with OSX operating system, which could just be user error. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't speak for the Canon laser, however, the Brother WiFi laser printer is difficult to get setup for wireless. You can do some googling and read thru discussions about this. Also, the Brother laser in addition to Toner cartridge changes, also requires a Drum change every 3 or 4 Toner cartridge changes. While you can buy the Toner and the Drum at a discount, it's still a bother in my opinion.

I actually prefer an HP laser, but their wireless setup is even worse than the Brother. If you can live without wireless, the HP laser will save you money in consumables over the long haul. Their Toner cartridges include the Drum and are heavily discounted throughout web suppliers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another vote for HP Lasers both for the reason Chscag said and also very long life. I have a friend with an old HP 1012 HP Laser and has put in over 20 toners and it still looks as good as when he bought it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
just get printopia and you can print to printers on the network. (not wireless) My last HP was so bad I haven't bought one in 20 years, but have had great luck with Brother. My experience is that the drums last longer than 3-4 cartridges. costco sells the toner and drums (OEM) reasonably.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.