PDA

View Full Version : Apple Watch

Raz0rEdge
09-10-2014, 01:28 PM
From the Sep 9th event, nice to see the new iPhones, but owning an iPhone 5S, I won't be upgrading anytime soon..

The Apple Watch, however, was intriguing since I have a number of devices that do portions of what the Watch would do as a single device. Consolidating it all to a Watch that I would wear is great and all.

Apple announced the availability to be 2015 which is fine but I hadn't read anything about the pricing from the Keynote and now that I have seen it, I'm torn. The pricing will start at $349 and since it comes in 3 editions, the Sport and Edition versions will likely cost more..

I'm not sure what my cut-off price point would've been, but I think if it was $150 or something I would've picked it up without even giving it a second thought. At more than double that "don't care" price in my head, now I gotta think and ensure that it's a solid experience all around before plunking that much cash down.

I know people who have the Samsung watch which just sucks.

Via: Apple announces Apple Watch pricing and availability | 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/09/apple-watch-availability/)

Chris H.
09-10-2014, 01:45 PM
The WATCH as we know it looks to be an almost complete device.

I think it needs further refinement. $350 is a bit much even for me…I'd rather spend that on an iPhone than anything else.

But looking at Android Wear and Samsung Galaxy Gear…the WATCH is much more appealing.

With that being said, I wonder if Apple will update the watch every year. If that's the case, I may just wait for the second generation if it makes the first generation at a lower price point. The other thing to consider is perhaps a price drop sometime after its initial release.

The part that has me holding back though is 1) requires an iPhone, 2) I can't upgrade to a new phone until next year...

Raz0rEdge
09-10-2014, 02:17 PM
The part about requiring the iPhone is likely more a marketing ploy than a technical challenge. They could, no doubt, cram the necessary phone bits in the Watch to make it a stand-alone device, but if you can double your sales with that coupling, why not? :) Besides, since Android Wear and Samsung Galaxy Gear do the same thing, no need to differentiate yet..

You bring a good point about the upgrade cycle. I imagine, like every other Apple product, this will fall into the once a year refresh cycle..

vansmith
09-10-2014, 02:26 PM
It's $350 for a watch. My phone, unlocked, cost $330 and can do so much more than this watch. I'm left concluding that this is very much a "if you have money to burn" luxury device that serves little productive purpose. Then again, Android Wear watches fall into that category but at least some of them are nice looking (the Moto 360 is leagues ahead of the Apple Watch in terms of design) and considerably cheaper.

I don't get Apple sometimes. They make a hell of a computer and tablet but every once in a while, they release something like this and all I can think is...so, this is a joke right? I think I went from pleasantly surprised (given that the iP6 is the first iPhone I would actually consider using) to utterly underwhelmed.

At the end of the day, no matter how you look at it, it's a chunky square on your wrist which just looks awkward. Watches are round and given the design ethos (circle shapes dominate the watch interface), I don't know why they didn't go circle.

jennymac
09-10-2014, 04:04 PM
It's $350 for a watch. My phone, unlocked, cost $330 and can do so much more than this watch. I'm left concluding that this is very much a "if you have money to burn" luxury device that serves little productive purpose. Then again, Android Wear watches fall into that category but at least some of them are nice looking (the Moto 360 is leagues ahead of the Apple Watch in terms of design) and considerably cheaper.

I don't get Apple sometimes. They make a hell of a computer and tablet but every once in a while, they release something like this and all I can think is...so, this is a joke right? I think I went from pleasantly surprised (given that the iP6 is the first iPhone I would actually consider using) to utterly underwhelmed.

At the end of the day, no matter how you look at it, it's a chunky square on your wrist which just looks awkward. Watches are round and given the design ethos (circle shapes dominate the watch interface), I don't know why they didn't go circle.
Totally agree, my husband said he wouldn't wear one if it was free. Plus they are UGLY! Doesn't look like an Apple product at all.

fleurya
09-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Overall I think it's pretty good. I like that they made 2 different sizes, 3 different finishes, and a multitude of very clever bands that can be very quickly and eaily swapped out. That kind of differentiation is very costly in the manufacturing world, and I don't think people are giving Apple any due credit for investing in making so many options available. It is certainly way out of their character and sets them apart from the competition for a device that is traditionally as much or more of a fashion piece than it's intended function.

What I wanted more than anything is independent GPS so I could use it as a running watch, but I guess you can't have it all. My other gripe is the digital cronw. Even if it is silky smooth to operate, it's going to be awkward to use on your wrist, especially for right-handed people funny enough. I don't think Steve Jobs would have taken this route. I think a better idea would have been to make the bezel touch-enabled. you could touch the sides to move around, and touch-hold the top or bottom to zoom in and out. Maybe they'll consider this if/when the crown fails.

Watches are round.

MOST watches are round, but there ar plenty that have square faces too. And if you look around, you'll notice a lot of multi-functional watches are square/rectangle in shape. Just look at the GPS watch category. Only more recently have they slimmed down their watches and started making round versions. And this does so much more than those watches!

People are bulking at the idea of a rectangle watch because of the convention of mostly being round. But what people need to come to terms with is the fact that this is not simply a watch. It does much more. And the things that it is intended to do work better on a square screen.

Just look at cell phones. People were all about making them smaller until the smartphone. If the iPhone launched with a 5.5" screen in 2007, people would have laughed at it and it would have failed. Now, it's the growing trend.

When it gets more mainstream, people will understand why smartwatches have to be more square, and learn to accept the look and appreciate it, just like phablets of today.

osxx
09-11-2014, 02:13 PM
I will pass on the watch since for me when it comes to watches I am old school and like autos that only tell time hour,minute and second while not requiring a battery or sunlight just the movement of my wrist.

chas_m
09-11-2014, 09:02 PM
I imagine, like every other Apple product, this will fall into the once a year refresh cycle..

Actually, almost no Apple products are on a "yearly refresh cycle." Only the iPhone, iPad (and that's probably about to change) and the iOS/OS X platforms. Everything else is on a "when it's ready" cycle that varies. (Ask any Mac Pro owner!)

I acknowledge that the "yearly refresh" products are their biggest sellers, but the statement is still inaccurate. Have no idea about how often the iPhone Watch will be refreshed, it might go either way.

It's $350 for a watch. My phone, unlocked, cost $330 and can do so much more than this watch. I'm left concluding that this is very much a "if you have money to burn" luxury device that serves little productive purpose. Then again, Android Wear watches fall into that category but at least some of them are nice looking (the Moto 360 is leagues ahead of the Apple Watch in terms of design) and considerably cheaper.]

Perhaps you are not looking at it from the correct perspective. Consider someone who relies heavily on their iPhone, but also wears a $500 timepiece (and that's considered "low end" in luxury watches). They might find the Apple Watch to be a steal.

Here's another perspective: For me, I'm not a wristwatch wearer, nor am I excited by the price of the Apple Watch. I am *amazed* by the engineering however. I was thinking about buying a top-of-the-line fitness band, one of the really good ones not a POS cheapie.

Oh look, guess what? The best one available costs $150-$200 and doesn't do a fraction of what the Apple Watch does. That $350 still looks steep, but not as steep as it did a minute ago.

It's really all a matter of how you look at it, I think. I'm not in the market at the moment, but I'm certainly open-minded enough to actually wait till I can *try one* before I make a judgement on its worth to me personally. I suspect the Apple Watch will do very well among people who wear watches (more than you might expect, I've been noticing this for the first time in the last day or so), but the key to the device will be if they can persuade people like me who don't wear watches to consider changing that habit.

I didn't expect fitness bands to do NEARLY as well as they did for the same reasons I listed above ... I don't need to pay $100 or so for a thing to nag me to walk more. But you know what? I was wrong about that. Being open-minded is fun!*

*if a little expensive ... :)

fleurya
09-11-2014, 10:54 PM
^^ very good points! I wear an $800 watch (wedding gift from my wife) and, as you said that's low end. I don't know if watches under $1,000 are even considered true luxury!

I also have a Garmin 220 GPS running watch. It's, doesn't do much, but what it does, it does well, and sells very well at $250. And it's not even the high end GPS watch. It's mid-range!

When you put it in that perspective, the Apple Watch isn't that bad at all. But, I think people are making a mistake in even in comparing it to a normal watch in terms of battery life or price. It's really a totally different product. Comparing to a regular watch is like comparing a smartphone with an old rotary phone.

chscag
09-11-2014, 11:38 PM
You're right, nowadays $350 for a watch is nothing. You can always buy one of these beauties:

Rolex GMT‑Master I...
$6,450.00
Portero

Rolex GMT Master II Men...
$6,190.00
SwissWatchE...

Rolex GMT Master II Stai...
$5,995.00
Portero

Vintage Rolex GMT‑Master...
$5,650.00
Portero

osxx
09-12-2014, 01:21 AM
You're right, nowadays $350 for a watch is nothing. You can always buy one of these beauties:

Rolex GMT‑Master I...
$6,450.00
Portero

Rolex GMT Master II Men...
$6,190.00
SwissWatchE...

Rolex GMT Master II Stai...
$5,995.00
Portero

Vintage Rolex GMT‑Master...
$5,650.00
Portero

Add an Omega Aqua Terra Seamaster at around 6000.00

pigoo3
09-12-2014, 02:37 AM
Back in the mid-1980's...I owned a Casio calculator watch. In my opinion...it does have somewhat of a similar appearance to the new Apple Watch.

It was thick, chunky, and square...and basically kind of "fugly"!;) But it was a cool...geeky...nerdy...sort of thing back then. Hey...it was a calculator on a watch darn it!!! It actually could have been the "Apple Watch" of the mid-1980's.

So I guess I have to say (from a beauty/appearance standpoint)...the Apple Watch is a bit "fugly" as well!;)

Some photos of course:

http://www.tickdong.com/images/detailed/8/atom035.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSySFT9N-5LtEjJiae3IH2gJcK1runRI2LmGerF7sGmZb-7OHQDbA https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAqds38L84oJRzvut7s9Uz4xS5kTTmt 5jD8rbS2Hj1uSXSDYng

And the Apple Watch:

http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE0LzA5LzA5LzNhL1dhdGNoR2FsbGVyLmUxYjkzLmpwZw pwCXRodW1iCTg1MHg4NTA-CmUJanBn/0627a923/9cf/Watch%20Gallery-17.jpg

Sure...they don't look exactly the same. But there are some similarities.:)

- Nick

fleurya
09-12-2014, 10:16 AM
For a watch comparison perspective, here is a good story about one watch expert’s opinion of Apple’s watch. He looked at it purely from a build and design perspective, and in his opinion, it is a superior watch for the relatively low $350 watch price range.

This Is What a Watch Expert Thinks of the Apple Watch (http://gizmodo.com/this-is-what-a-watch-expert-thinks-of-the-apple-watch-1633387118)

vansmith
09-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Perhaps you are not looking at it from the correct perspective. Consider someone who relies heavily on their iPhone, but also wears a $500 timepiece (and that's considered "low end" in luxury watches). They might find the Apple Watch to be a steal.The AW is not a luxury watch though. This is akin to equating a well built Toyota to a Ferrari and pretending that the AW is a Lambo. Luxury watches are just that - luxury. I'd hardly qualify any smartwatch as a luxury watch but that's an issue of semantics I suppose.

Oh look, guess what? The best one available costs $150-$200 and doesn't do a fraction of what the Apple Watch does. That $350 still looks steep, but not as steep as it did a minute ago.This forgets one important thing though - you need an iPhone. A useable AW is thus going to cost you close to $1000.

For a watch comparison perspective, here is a good story about one watch expert’s opinion of Apple’s watch.Hmmm...
It's unclear how much time he actually spent with the Apple Watch [...] Clymer's Apple Watch impressions are only about the exterior. He purposely stays away from the functionality and the interface. And while he's mostly positive, it's clear he still thinks that smartwatches in general are missing somethingSo, he didn't spend much time with the watch and completely ignored the functionality of it? He might be an expert on watches but not reviews. ;)

fleurya
09-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Hmmm... So, he didn't spend much time with the watch and completely ignored the functionality of it? He might be an expert on watches but not reviews. ;)

Like I said, he was speaking only about the design and build quality, which, of course, is all you can use to compare it with traditional watches. I don't know how much time he spent with the watch, but I doubt someone who wants to maintain their reputation in a luxury product industry would go around giving half-baked opinions. Possible, but not probable. I would also respectfully point out that, even if he only handled it for a minute, it's probably enough for him to gain some understanding of the relative quality as a person in the industry. Also, it would be a minute more than you have handled it in person, yet you felt free to pass judgement on its relative quality in your cars comparison.

Overall style and built quality do play an important role. There are $100 Android phones available at your local supermarket that do 95% of what a $650+ Samsung GS4 can do. Is that 5% that not many people use anyway really worth a 600% price markup? Not likely, but people still buy them. They buy them for the style, quality, build, and brand cache.

vansmith
09-12-2014, 03:37 PM
I would also respectfully point out that, even if he only handled it for a minute, it's probably enough for him to gain some understanding of the relative quality as a person in the industry.You are absolutely correct - I haven't held it nor do I suggest that I am a watch expert (does it tell me the nice and looks nice? Great). That said, you can't assess a watch and neglect to test it. That would be like saying that a computer looks nice and recommending others to purchase it without having turned it on. It's shallow and superficial reporting at best.

Also, it would be a minute more than you have handled it in person, yet you felt free to pass judgement on its relative quality in your cars comparison.I said nothing of its quality - it may very well be a well built watch. However, at $350, it hardly qualifies as "luxury" especially given the craftsmanship and cost of real luxury watches. I'm also skeptical of the Apple marketing machine which always positions their products as revolutionary, ground breaking and the best thing since the Big Bang (even when they often aren't). The watch reveal was a perfect example - I thought Cook was going to cry...revealing a watch.

MacInWin
09-12-2014, 05:45 PM
I'll probably get an AW. I already have an iPhone, so that part of the expense is covered. It is a 5s, so I'm skipping the iP6 release, but getting the AW may provide the NFC functionality to the 5s, and I'm all for that. The US is way behind the curve in getting rid of the old magnetic stripe credit cards. Witness the data breaches at Target and Home Depot. The chip and pin cards of Europe are much more secure, but from the description of how Apple is implementing the token process, it looks even MORE secure. And since the payment requires a PIN for the watch when it's put on your wrist and starts to sense the pulses, it's relatively safe against a thief. If they set it up to kill the watch if the PIN is wrong more than a few times, that's even better. No real CC data flows in a transaction, so no tracking software at the store. And the convenience of waving your wrist at a sensor to pay is pretty attractive. So, I'll probably get one if the early adopters report that it works as advertised. The price is about the same as I've paid for my current Citizen, so that doesn't scare me off much, either.

lclev
09-12-2014, 11:22 PM
I am planning on getting an iPhone 6 probably the 5.5 since I have that screen size now on my Note II.

As for the watch...... I like to change my watches to match my mood or what I am wearing so all my watches cost in the $15-$100 range. Plus I just want it to tell time and have a big enough and bright enough display for my old eyes to see easily.

So not planning on an iWatch. :D

Lisa

chas_m
09-13-2014, 08:07 AM
The AW is not a luxury watch though.

I would argue that it is, but of course not in the same sense as a $1,000 Rolex. It's a luxury watch in the sense that it's not essential. :)

No, kidding. I mean its a luxury watch in the sense that it is finely engineered, and does more than other watches in its class. It has the ability, I believe, to attract "luxury" watch users.

This forgets one important thing though - you need an iPhone. A useable AW is thus going to cost you close to $1000.

By that argument, all Android smart watches also cost close to $1,000, since all the ones I'm aware of need a premium phone as well (excluding any low-functionality "cheapie" watches I may not be aware of).

There may be a misconception that the Appke Watch works only with the iPhone 6. That is not correct, it works with the iPhone 5 family as well.

vansmith
09-13-2014, 11:46 AM
I would argue that it is, but of course not in the same sense as a $1,000 Rolex. It's a luxury watch in the sense that it's not essential. :)No watch is essential. ;)

No, kidding. I mean its a luxury watch in the sense that it is finely engineered, and does more than other watches in its class. It has the ability, I believe, to attract "luxury" watch users.I'm going to guess that people who buy Rolexes are not going to buy an AW and if they do, they won't be wearing it as a replacement.

By that argument, all Android smart watches also cost close to $1,000, since all the ones I'm aware of need a premium phone as well (excluding any low-functionality "cheapie" watches I may not be aware of).Absolutely they do. All Android Wear and Apple Watch smartwatches cost more than the cost of the watch itself.

MBP17•David
09-13-2014, 12:39 PM
As much as I like all things Apple, I'm with osxx (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/members/osxx.html) on this one.

This is a watch:
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag317/macforums-david/Breguet_zps458e404c.png~original

This is a phone / gadget:
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag317/macforums-david/ScreenShot2014-09-13at163708_zps6212e402.png~original

Not really interested in cross-breeding ;D

John F
09-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Rolex GMT‑Master I...
$6,450.00
Portero

Bell and Ross Aviation BR0192-CA-FIBER $7,900.00

Bell & Ross Aviation BR0192-CA-FIBER-PH $8,000.00

fleurya
09-13-2014, 09:21 PM
You are absolutely correct - I haven't held it nor do I suggest that I am a watch expert (does it tell me the nice and looks nice? Great). That said, you can't assess a watch and neglect to test it. That would be like saying that a computer looks nice and recommending others to purchase it without having turned it on. It's shallow and superficial reporting at best.

But watches can be shallow and superficial things. Anything can really. Also, everything is judged not only on it's bare functionality, but also it's appearance and quality: even non-luxury cars like Toyotas. If they weren't we would all be driving around bland grey boxes.

And, as I mentioned twice already, this was only judged based on it's relative build and design quality, meaning he wasn't passing any judgement on functionality. You do it all the time whenever you see an ad for something. You've been intrigued by things based just on looks (like an attractive person walking down the street. Maybe it doesn't tell us the whole story, but at least it tells us whether or not it's worth more of our attention later.

I said nothing of its quality - it may very well be a well built watch. However, at $350, it hardly qualifies as "luxury" especially given the craftsmanship and cost of real luxury watches.

Ahem...

This is akin to equating a well built Toyota to a Ferrari and pretending that the AW is a Lambo. Luxury watches are just that - luxury. I'd hardly qualify any smartwatch as a luxury watch but that's an issue of semantics I suppose.

You implied your view of it's quality by equating it with a Toyota in a world of Ferraris. Also, you are implying that there is only one level of luxury, in both cars and watches. Lastly, this guy was not comparing it with the ultra luxury watches as you imply, he was only comparing it with watches in the same price range. So, whether you use Toyotas or Ferraris is irrelevant.

All he said, and I am repeating, is that from a build and design perspective, it is on par or above watches that cost $350. With the caveat that the internals could be junk for all he knows, but that qualification was disclosed.

I'm also skeptical of the Apple marketing machine which always positions their products as revolutionary, ground breaking and the best thing since the Big Bang (even when they often aren't). The watch reveal was a perfect example - I thought Cook was going to cry...revealing a watch.

Oh come on now, you're going to fault a business for embellishing in it's marketing to trying to sell it's product? Do you complain about every Burger King commercials that shows a Whopper that looks nothing like the actual sandwich? Or every photo on a box of food in your grocery store?

If you haven't yet learned that companies embellish in their advertising, then I feel for you. If you are choosing to rip on one company while blinding yourself to all others, then I'm annoyed by you.

johnodd4
09-13-2014, 09:29 PM
The samsung watch and apple watch are the same thing you need a samsung galaxy to use the samsung watch same with the apple watch you need a iPhone all it is is a remote control that communicates wireless to bluetooth to the iPhone

thats it it reads the date and time from your iPhone it doesn't store music on the watch it just streams it from the phone to the watch.

it's basically a 350.00 remote control

chas_m
09-13-2014, 09:53 PM
The samsung watch and apple watch are the same thing

This is possibly the most erroneous clause since Custer looked at the Indians and said "I think we can take 'em." :)

(yes I'm taking your statement completely out of context to make a joke. :)

I get what you are saying here, and you're largely correct. The Apple Watch, like the Gear watches, are front-ends that make certain phone functionality available (and in some cases more convenient) by allowing you to keep the phone in your pocket/bag/nearby. There are some limited things it can do without the phone (keep track of health data, make payments with Apple Pay in the case of the Apple Watch*, a few other things perhaps, but it is an augment to an existing device.

*Actually, an iPhone (5 or later) is still needed, but not an iPhone 6 necessarily.

But I think you oversimplify it a bit. A TV remote is a useless (without the TV) augment to an existing device, but it seems to me that it did rather well for itself. And over time it learned to do a few more tricks. It's hard to imagine using a TV now without one, isn't it?

pigoo3
09-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Some folks obviously have bigger "Every Day" watch budgets than I do.;)

When I'm looking for an "Every Day" watch (not a "fancy outing" watch)…budgets like $350 & above don't even enter the picture. When I shop for an every-day watch…I'm talking a $20-$40 budget…usually for a Timex "Ironman" type watch (day, date, time, alarms, stop watch).:)

This is not to say I wouldn't "spring" the $350+ for the Apple Watch (maybe). I just wouldn't be looking at it as an "every-day" watch. But a special "gizmo" I wear on my wrist (much more than a watch).:)

- Nick

Slydude
09-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Some folks obviously have bigger "Every Day" watch budgets than I do.;)

When I'm looking for an "Every Day" watch (not a "fancy outing" watch)…budgets like $350 & above don't even enter the picture. When I shop for an every-day watch…I'm talking a $20-$40 budget…usually for a Timex "Ironman" type watch (day, date, time, alarms, stop watch).:)

This is not to say I wouldn't "spring" the $350+ for the Apple Watch (maybe). I just wouldn't be looking at it as an "every-day" watch. But a special "gizmo" I wear on my wrist (much more than a watch).:)

- Nick

Same here. It's been a while since I wore a watch on a regular basis. Saw the keynote earlier this Summer but didn't see a compelling reason to buy this gadget. It makes much more sense for me to either upgrade my iPhone 4 or save up for a new Mac.

Of course, I'm always game if someone wants to contribute tot he new gear fund. :)

pigoo3
09-14-2014, 01:22 AM
It makes much more sense for me to either upgrade my iPhone 4 or save up for a new Mac.

This would be my difficulty too. That Apple Watch money could go towards partially paying for another computer (50+% for a Mac-Mini), ram upgrade, SSD, monitor, etc.

Gotta wait & see more info on the Apple Watch to get a better idea what it can do.

Decisions...decisions!;)

- Nick

chas_m
09-14-2014, 01:39 AM
Like all Apple products, it is simply not aimed at EVERYONE. This is exactly what I *like* about Apple.

The Apple Watch would appear to appeal mostly to people who rely heavily on their iPhone for the management of their day-to-day lives, and would like to stop taking the iPhone out of their pocket/bag so much. Oh, and it's an advanced fitness band. Oh, and it does payments.

Am I that sort of person who would appreciate and utilize the value this offers to make it worth the money? Don't know really -- though I'm kind of enjoying having to ask myself that. I'll figure that out when it's actually available for me to test. I am kind of a sucker for devices that make me feel like I'm living in the future, but I'm also frugal enough not to buy everything that has a "gee whiz" factor to it.

Slydude
09-14-2014, 01:53 AM
If I buy one at all it will likely be in the second or third iteration. That's usually the case for me due to budget constraints.

The other reason I often get in on the third or forth iteration is just the nature of technology. Sometimes I don't see an immediate reason to get a device other than the "gee whiz" factor. Then, after folks have used it for a while, I notice a use that I had never really considered.

pigoo3
09-14-2014, 02:07 AM
I totally forgot. I could certainly use that same $350+ "Apple Watch" money...for an iPad upgrade!:) I'm still using an iPad 1...and I've been "shopping" Craig's List for a newer model.:)

But then again...who knows...there's always the "gee-whiz" factor of a new device.;)

- Nick

chas_m
09-14-2014, 04:49 AM
If Apple's biggest problem in selling the Apple Watch is that the company sells too many other cool devices we want more than the Watch, I'd say that's a pretty nice problem to have.

fleurya
09-14-2014, 11:59 AM
I've been checking out some of the Apple Watch vs Android Wear articles, and it's interesting to see what's going on at apple and Google through these new devices.

As a lot of articles point out, it's as if Google and Apple both did a 180 in terms of device control and purpose. While Apple has typically been one to lock down the style and keep things clean and simple, with the Watch they are making it very customizable and immediately granting devs the ability to make some rich interactive Watch apps. Even the physical part of the watch is very customizable with sizes, finishes and bands. Also, giving the ability to provide a lot of information on a single screen at a glance. Despite saying they didn't just want shrunken down iOS, in a way Apple is gearing their watch more towards being at least a little bit of an independent device with its own apps.

Meanwhile with Google, they have typically made their OS very customizable by both manufactures and users, and gave the ability to do a lot of tinkering. With Android Wear they have totally locked down the OS: no manufacturer skinning and the third party "apps" are little more than providing the Phone app makers the ability to create a means of pushing notifications to the Wear watch. And the screens are kept very simple: usually just one piece of information at a time. And the way Android has the OS locked down, other than a few things like Maps and directions, it is little more than a mere notification extension and wireless mic for voice commands to the phone.

But what is really interesting is to read the comments of those articles. The Android community (or fanboys more likely) seems to be ripping Apple for making the Watch "too busy" and putting on too much information (an argument usually leveled against Android home screens with all the widgets and junk you can put on it). Meanwhile they are praising Google for keeping Wear very simple and clean, which they usually rip on iOS for and calling it dumbed down and childish.

It's just funny to see people lobbing insults around for things they used to praise and vice versa. I would agree that the Watch interface is a bit busy in some options, but like Android users always argue, at least you have the option, and you can make it simple if you want. You can have a watch face with the weather, moon phase, and stock ticker, but you don't have to. Just like with an Android phone screen. You can have tons of widgets or just a grid of icons. Though I do think the Apple watch aesthetically looks better both in the exterior and OS finish. Wear watches for the most part lock like plastic prototypes. Apple Watch seems more graceful and reminds me of a watch more. I do love the look of the Moto 360 very much, but in the end I know this is not just a watch, that a square screen is superior for content viewing.

Anyway, it's fun to watch all the changes and the fanboys get in a frenzy over them. I just grab some popcorn and enjoy the show!

canadiantowman
09-19-2014, 02:38 PM
When I look for an every day watch, I think when it breaks or when I lose it how much am I willing to lose. I would be considering the sport one but not for $350 maybe $200 the most. The wife and I are both waiting for it to come out but come on this is worse then waiting for christmas, I need something like this now.

Luther Mac
09-26-2014, 04:47 AM
Actually, almost no Apple products are on a "yearly refresh cycle." Only the iPhone, iPad (and that's probably about to change) and the iOS/OS X platforms. Everything else is on a "when it's ready" cycle that varies. (Ask any Mac Pro owner!)

I acknowledge that the "yearly refresh" products are their biggest sellers, but the statement is still inaccurate. Have no idea about how often the iPhone Watch will be refreshed, it might go either way.

Perhaps you are not looking at it from the correct perspective. Consider someone who relies heavily on their iPhone, but also wears a $500 timepiece (and that's considered "low end" in luxury watches). They might find the Apple Watch to be a steal.

Here's another perspective: For me, I'm not a wristwatch wearer, nor am I excited by the price of the Apple Watch. I am *amazed* by the engineering however. I was thinking about buying a top-of-the-line fitness band, one of the really good ones not a POS cheapie.

Oh look, guess what? The best one available costs $150-$200 and doesn't do a fraction of what the Apple Watch does. That $350 still looks steep, but not as steep as it did a minute ago.

It's really all a matter of how you look at it, I think. I'm not in the market at the moment, but I'm certainly open-minded enough to actually wait till I can *try one* before I make a judgement on its worth to me personally. I suspect the Apple Watch will do very well among people who wear watches (more than you might expect, I've been noticing this for the first time in the last day or so), but the key to the device will be if they can persuade people like me who don't wear watches to consider changing that habit.

I didn't expect fitness bands to do NEARLY as well as they did for the same reasons I listed above ... I don't need to pay $100 or so for a thing to nag me to walk more. But you know what? I was wrong about that. Being open-minded is fun!*

*if a little expensive ... :)

I wear a $3000 watch. It tells time. And does so poorly at that. Been a piece of junk Ive had to send back to Switzerland on multiple occasions.

I'll never buy another fancy watch again. I'll be buying Chinese knockoffs that look like the expensive watches, that I wont care if I break, and I can replace yearly.

$350 for the base model Apple Watch? Sorry but it wont do anything that my iPhone doesnt do. I cant see why I would wear a AW. Cause if there is one thing Ive learned, is that watches break. It's what they do, no matter the retail price.

TattooedMac
09-26-2014, 05:34 AM
If my mates saw me wearing a Apple Watch, they would take that Salmon and slap me a few times around the head. Serious. AW, Android Watch, Google Glass, are gimmicks at the moment. I think Apple can, and I'm betting they know they can, make a better looking and functioning watch. Remember the iPad Mini same specs as the iPad 1, then they bring out something worthy of the iPhone 5, wait until next time around, 2016 and ill take a look then.

Luther Mac
09-28-2014, 06:10 AM
If my mates saw me wearing a Apple Watch, they would take that Salmon and slap me a few times around the head. Serious. AW, Android Watch, Google Glass, are gimmicks at the moment. I think Apple can, and I'm betting they know they can, make a better looking and functioning watch. Remember the iPad Mini same specs as the iPad 1, then they bring out something worthy of the iPhone 5, wait until next time around, 2016 and ill take a look then.

Im with you on this one for sure.

Maybe Apple is hoping the developers can be creative and find a way to develop apps that are outside the box thinking and thus create a use for these devices.

That's their only hope IMO, cause to me a "smart" watch seems redundant/useless.

howieho
10-21-2014, 08:05 PM
I think what makes the Apple Watch or any Smartwatch ahead of their time, or more accurately, not ready yet for mass adoption is the battery issue. I think people would be more accepting of it if it didn't require a regular charge. Ideally, it should have a 6 month or longer battery life or a mechanical, automatic ability to generate power or even a solar charging feature.

If you could wear it like a watch without having to think about it, you would wear it like a regular watch and then slowly discover its greater capabilities as the opportunities arise. As it is, I think a lot of early adopters will eventually get bored of having to remember to charge it every night and stop using it.

MacbookWilis
10-27-2014, 11:40 PM
when I saw it in the keynote I actually liked the design like all things apple they all go for that premium look, yes it is a bit pricey but so are many watches that only tell time that are designer watches. One thing thats a nice feature is that it has nfc so many of us that aren't planning on buying an iPhone 6 o 6 plus can use apple pay with the watch with our 5's o 5S's. I would be buying one on day one of release but here in Mexico its gonna take a lot longer to get here and is probably going to be even more expensive. The iPhone 6 and 6 plus are finally going to sell here on Friday for a little over a hundred bucks more :S

Delorean88
04-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Apple watches shipping? Anyone else get one of these? Found this in another forum.

Delorean88

Luther Mac
04-16-2015, 06:34 PM
Apple watches shipping? Anyone else get one of these? Found this in another forum.

Delorean88

I should have got one but I got screwed by the Apple Store employee.

Bought a apple store gift card for my wife's AW. Immediately got on the Apple Store App at 12:01am. Put my order in and it showed a delivery date of April 24th. Went to submit payment to find out that the App doesnt allow for Apple Store Cards to be used as payment. Credit Card only.

Had to go to the website. By this time it is 12:05am. Delivery time is May.

By 12:15 it was June.

It is kinda baffling that the Apple Store employees can be so ignorant on a new product launch.

chas_m
04-17-2015, 05:49 AM
Re-reading this entire thread, it's pretty funny to watch the pivot happen.

Luther Mac
04-17-2015, 06:13 AM
Re-reading this entire thread, it's pretty funny to watch the pivot happen.

For sure. Im guilty 110%.

My wife wanted one, so I had to look into it more closely. Then my $3000 Tag Heuer took a **** for the 5th time and Im over it. Plus, Ive been wanting to buy another Polar HR monitor.

It appears the AW will have some usefulness after all. If for myself it only fixes 2 issues I'll be happy. It replaces my nice dress watch & it saves me the money I would have spent on more Polar stuff.

At $350 for a Sport model, the AW is a bargain for me compared to just the 2 gadgets I plan on replacing it with.

EGSExec
04-18-2015, 11:33 PM
So frustrated with the Apple Store experience regarding the watch. I went with my girlfriend to take a look in person. She gave her information and once we were both called up to be shown the watches, the lady kept trying to "sell" us on a watch. I don't need to be sold. We simply wanted to get our hands on a watch. She actually asked what she could do to have us place an order today! Come on. This is below the Apple standard. My girlfriend and I tried to talk amongst ourselves about the watch and this lady kept interrupting. It all seemed very scripted. This isn't the way I've come to know Apple. Why the sudden change?!

TattooedMac
04-19-2015, 12:50 AM
So frustrated with the Apple Store experience regarding the watch. I went with my girlfriend to take a look in person. She gave her information and once we were both called up to be shown the watches, the lady kept trying to "sell" us on a watch. I don't need to be sold. We simply wanted to get our hands on a watch. She actually asked what she could do to have us place an order today! Come on. This is below the Apple standard. My girlfriend and I tried to talk amongst ourselves about the watch and this lady kept interrupting. It all seemed very scripted. This isn't the way I've come to know Apple. Why the sudden change?!

Im sure the Apple Staff are pretty sick of people just going in to look at the watch and "get their hands on one". The bottom line is, Apple is a company that sells products, and trained staff can tell if your just window shopping, so its in their right to try and get you too buy one.

Drella
04-24-2015, 04:09 AM
Love the watch. But the battery is so poor :(

Raz0rEdge
04-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Love the watch. But the battery is so poor :(

What does poor mean? Does it last the entire day or what? From the get-go the Apple Watch is known not to last for many days without charging..

vansmith
04-24-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to explain how a smartwatch makes anything easier. None of them do anything particularly well except for notifications and honestly, why would I want to spend a few hundred dollars on something that my phone already does just fine? I think, in some ways, this is the heart of all the ambivalence that surrounds the watch - what does it actually solve? From where I sit, smartwatches create a problem (a lack of connectedness to our devices) and do a terrible job at solving it.

Raz0rEdge
04-24-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to explain how a smartwatch makes anything easier. None of them do anything particularly well except for notifications and honestly, why would I want to spend a few hundred dollars on something that my phone already does just fine? I think, in some ways, this is the heart of all the ambivalence that surrounds the watch - what does it actually solve? From where I sit, smartwatches create a problem (a lack of connectedness to our devices) and do a terrible job at solving it.

Van, I generally agree that there isn't a killer app for the Apple Watch yet. However, I don't think it will be long before there will be that or many of those kinds of apps for different people to make this a potential worthwhile purchase.

I look at this from the perspective from a few people I know that recently switched from flip or "dumb" phones to smartphones since the upgrade price was essentially $0 for the Android phones..

These were the folks that were adamant about not doing anything other than making phones calls and occasional text or what have you. However, having made the switch, the entire smartphone experience is a "killer app" for them and now they are questioning why they waited so long..

I think giving the entire smart watch group (Android, Apple or otherwise) a little bit of time might provide some interesting things that work well alongside the capabilities of the phones..

vansmith
04-24-2015, 01:59 PM
I have no doubt that, at some point, smartwatches will develop some sort of functionality that will increase its utility beyond "notification tray." For this reason, I may sit a generation or two out with an eye on its possibility.

RONE
04-24-2015, 08:24 PM

Women who keep their phones in their purses and never hear the thing ring/beep/etc. You're welcome.

vansmith
04-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Women who keep their phones in their purses and never hear the thing ring/beep/etc. You're welcome.Put the phone in your pocket? Your suggestion seems to be one premised on buying something to solve what could easily be a change of habit. And, honestly, given that most people seem to be wedded to their phones these days, missing a notification or two may not be all that bad.

pigoo3
04-24-2015, 10:49 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to explain how a smartwatch makes anything easier.

You can measure your heart rate easier!lol;)

But seriously. Some of the health, fitness, or even medical related apps sound pretty interesting. But these still would't be enough for me (by themselves) to encourage me to purchase an iWatch.

Since I'm used to wearing $30 digital watches (that can last me 5, 10, or more years)…just need to replace the battery every couple years. I think that I need a MUCH lower iWatch price.

And I CERTAINLY don't want to spend $350 on an iWatch…just to have it be obsolete in 1-2 years…and then worth $75 bucks.

And remember what happened with the iPad 1…and how it was limited to only iOS 5 after only a couple years. Don't want this to happen with the iWatch 1.

I'm spending enough money on computers, smartphones, and tablets that become obsolete…that I don't need a 4th electronic device category to suck more cash out of my wallet. ;)

- Nick

dtravis7
04-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Hey Van, it has iTAP! Don't you want a tapping on your wrist? :D Grin

TattooedMac
04-25-2015, 02:05 AM
What I am wondering., is how many Apps the Watch can hold ? Apple ships with 20 in-built Apps, but how many can it hold.. Whats the capacity ?/ Did I overlook this, because everyone seems to be eyeing off the battery life, but how big is the onboard storage ??

dtravis7
04-25-2015, 02:16 AM
Here you go!

Apple Watch Has 8GB of Storage, Limited to 2GB for Music and 75MB for Photos - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/10/apple-watch-storage-photos-music/)

8GB.

TattooedMac
04-25-2015, 02:24 AM
Thanks Dennis. I thought there would be something otut there, but couldn't recall hearing anything about it.
now i know that, you would think that the higher priced watches, would have a higher capacity to store songs, and the likes. 8GB isnt huge, but then gain, either are the Watch Apps . . .

Written on my iPad Air 2

dbm
04-25-2015, 07:20 AM
Put the phone in your pocket? Your suggestion seems to be one premised on buying something to solve what could easily be a change of habit. And, honestly, given that most people seem to be wedded to their phones these days, missing a notification or two may not be all that bad.

Ladies fashion means women don't want to do that in many cases. My wife hardly wears anything with pockets. And if I suggested changing her wardrobe so she hears her phone ring I would be sleeping on the porch...

vansmith
04-25-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm spending enough money on computers, smartphones, and tablets that become obsolete…that I don't need a 4th electronic device category to suck more cash out of my wallet. ;)You and I both. The three devices, which all serve a useful purpose for me, work just fine.

You mentioned fitness which would genuinely be a nice use for it...were it not 3-5x as expensive as other devices which do the same. I'm still looking for that killer use. :)

Hey Van, it has iTAP! Don't you want a tapping on your wrist? :D GrinThe haptic feedback is likely the most annoying feature (yet one of the most useful given that it's a watch and needs to alert you silently). I don't need my wrist vibrating all day.

Thanks Dennis. I thought there would be something otut there, but couldn't recall hearing anything about it.
now i know that, you would think that the higher priced watches, would have a higher capacity to store songs, and the likes. 8GB isnt huge, but then gain, either are the Watch Apps . . .I thought the intent was that things would be "pushed" to the watch on the fly from the phone (and why reviews say some apps take ages to open). Maybe that explains the low amount of available storage?

Ladies fashion means women don't want to do that in many cases. My wife hardly wears anything with pockets. And if I suggested changing her wardrobe so she hears her phone ring I would be sleeping on the porch...Fair enough. I suppose my response would be to take your phone out of your purse or simply ignore the notification but I realize that everyone has different needs.

TattooedMac
04-26-2015, 12:43 AM
You and I both. The three devices, which all serve a useful purpose for me, work just fine.

The more I think about this watch, the less I'm liking it. I feel the same, and if I was a huge traveller, or sportsman, then yes it would be of benefit too me, but after looking at the iFixIt ~ Watch Teardown (https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Teardown/40655?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Apple+Watch+Teardown+Newsletter&utm_content=Apple+Watch+Teardown+Newsletter+CID_ee b70741531e5567b46c67e1b504c797&utm_source=CampaignMonitor&utm_term=Apple%20Watch) then I'm not really sure if these are going to be the next iPods.
Funnily enough, they do mention in the article about maybe Apple will have a upgrade program, for the insides of the Watch. I made this prediction in another thread here. In 3-4 yrs, the OS will be obsolete, and 2-4 yrs after that, maybe the Hardware will be too. So what will happen to all these really expensive watches, when the OS can't keep up with todays computing ??

I thought the intent was that things would be "pushed" to the watch on the fly from the phone (and why reviews say some apps take ages to open). Maybe that explains the low amount of available storage?

Yea, well thats my thought, BUT the Apps being made within the App updates are going to take up some room. I haven't yet delved into the WatchKit, so I can't tell you what size these will be, including 4 Size icons . . .
Still 20 Pre-installed apps, would get my goat going, because there isn't a way to hide these and they will be front and centre of the watch :(

vansmith
04-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Funnily enough, they do mention in the article about maybe Apple will have a upgrade program, for the insides of the Watch. I made this prediction in another thread here. In 3-4 yrs, the OS will be obsolete, and 2-4 yrs after that, maybe the Hardware will be too. So what will happen to all these really expensive watches, when the OS can't keep up with todays computing ??Normally, I'd say that hardware upgrades wouldn't make sense but given that this is, by far, the most expensive product Apple has (or, it can be), I can see them offering some sort of upgrade option for those who buy the really expensive ones (maybe not an upgrade to the watch itself but perhaps some sort of offer for new versions).

dbm
04-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Interesting perspective from someone who has been using one for a while now: Hands Free Computing (https://techpinions.com/apple-watch-and-hands-free-computing/39890).

vansmith
04-28-2015, 06:33 PM
Interesting perspective from someone who has been using one for a while now: Hands Free Computing (https://techpinions.com/apple-watch-and-hands-free-computing/39890).
You need to touch the screen, a screen that is on a watch which is as close as we can get to having a "hand dependent" technology that isn't actually on your hand...

As I've said before - if you like the watch, that's wonderful and I hope you really enjoy it (not specifically you dbm although I hope you do as well!). I continue, however, to have a difficult time ascertaining its use value in a world in which a smartphone is infinitely more powerful and not all that inconvenient comparatively so.

chas_m
04-29-2015, 02:57 AM
I'd suggest two things for the more close-minded among you:

1. Have a look at the video tutorials Apple has posted on its site, particularly the one for Activity. Most of you really appear to be arguing against the concept of wearing a watch at all. I think after watching those videos you'll have a better understanding that this device does, in fact, quite a few things the iPhone doesn't do, and in working together with it it does more than (a) any other watch and (b) notifications.

2. Go to an Apple Store and get a demo from the staff instead of speculating about stuff you haven't actually tried out.

The best fitness bands run about 2/3rds the price of the Apple Watch, so when you consider it as a better fitness band than any other AND the other things it can do, THEN the $350 entry point starts to look pretty reasonable. Not having to pull my iPhone out of my pocket 70 times a day to check the time or the latest notification will actually be kind of nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing if that makes a big difference. I'm also, as an iPhone 5s owner, looking forward to using the Watch with Apple Pay. Call me old-fashioned, but I think your wrist is, in fact, a better place for what Apple calls "glances" rather than pulling out the iPhone all the time.

lclev
04-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Just had to throw this in. If you have an arm tattoo that would be under the watch - it malfunctions!

Tattoos may cause Apple Watch to stop working | www.news965.com (http://www.news965.com/news/news/national/tattoos-may-cause-apple-watches-stop-working/nk5nP/?icmp=cmgcontent_internallink_relatedcontent_2014_ partners1)

Apple Watch, heart rate sensors, and wrist tattoos: What you need to know! | iMore (http://www.imore.com/heres-why-apple-watch-does-not-play-nice-with-some-tattoos)

Interesting.

Lisa

chscag
04-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Well, looks like half of the NFL players will have to pass on an Apple Watch! ;D

dtravis7
04-29-2015, 03:59 PM
I know some of the Mac Evangelists will hate me for this but: Hey watches can fall to the ground and 3 feet is not very far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwqANb9Acg

dbm
04-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Any hard substance is vulnerable to smashing under impact. It's the downside of hardness.

My current Rado watch is made of ceramics twice as tough as steel. This means it is absolutely scratch free after about four years of daily wear, but if I dropped it onto concrete it would probably shatter, too.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/dan_martland/4bfede7fa0fd02c1ecdb21e6fd916ac2_zpsvwnq06wx.jpg

It's hardly an Apple problem, it's just physics.

vansmith
04-29-2015, 06:53 PM
It's hardly an Apple problem, it's just physics.Pfft, that's no excuse. :P

I watched some video the other day outlining its water resistance which is basically mandatory for a watch given that it has direct contact with the elements. It handled the (granted, informal) tests quite well. Any word on its durability?

dbm
04-29-2015, 07:20 PM
It's still early days. Some people have reported what appear to be defects of manufacturer, but I haven't heard of any real-world, normal use failures yet.

TattooedMac
04-29-2015, 08:49 PM
I know some of the Mac Evangelists will hate me for this but: Hey watches can fall to the ground and 3 feet is not very far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwqANb9Acg

This was quite surprising actually. Hard or not, a 3 foot fall to pavement, my iPhone5 HAS survived !!

dtravis7
04-29-2015, 10:22 PM
This was quite surprising actually. Hard or not, a 3 foot fall to pavement, my iPhone5 HAS survived !!

My niece dropped her 3GS 100 or more times. I guess she is prone to dropping things. Even after all those drops, most on concrete and some from head level it still worked and just had a few minor cracks in the glass on the display.

My original 3g went down a few times but not one crack. What finally killed it one day was I was with a friend shopping and got out of his car with bags of food. Somehow the phone fell out of my jacket pocket and I did not notice it till 5 min later. Went out there and a car drove up and parked and RAN OVER the poor thing. That killed it! :D

pigoo3
04-30-2015, 12:37 AM
Went out there and a car drove up and parked and RAN OVER the poor thing. That killed it! :D

At least it went out with style!!!;)

- Nick

chas_m
04-30-2015, 02:33 AM
Watches, being strapped to your wrist, are actually pretty hard to drop ... unless you're using a watch in an entirely different way than what I would think of as "normal" ...

dbm
04-30-2015, 04:21 AM
It all depends on how the device impacts. When I got my iPhone 5 I initially decided to try going without a case. I managed to drop it onto concrete on day 2 of ownership! But it impacted on a corner so it just got a couple of small gouges in the metal frame with no effect.

By contrast, I had a later phone in my inside jacket pocket, which I put over the back of a swivel chair that had arms. I turned round and the phone got caught between chair and desk, with the pressure applied to a point on the screen. It smashed.

On my Rado watch, the saphire screen is the most prominent part. It is the bit which makes contact with the world when it happens. The other day I was doing stuff in my garage and accidentally bashed it against a cinder block wall. Absolutely no effect.

Macisaverb
04-30-2015, 09:22 AM
I've spent a little bit of money on the latest stuff. Remember Palm Pilot? I'll just take it easy until the next gen of watches comes out. I can't say what the improvements will be, but I imagine they'll be significant.;P

vansmith
04-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Watches, being strapped to your wrist, are actually pretty hard to drop ... unless you're using a watch in an entirely different way than what I would think of as "normal" ...I think the issue might be bumping into things or having the watch make contact with something hard given that people's arm move constantly. I imagine, for this reason, that it's built to take a beating (or at least I hope so).

dtravis7
04-30-2015, 11:45 AM
I think the issue might be bumping into things or having the watch make contact with something hard given that people's arm move constantly. I imagine, for this reason, that it's built to take a beating (or at least I hope so).

Agreed completely. I know though some very uncoordinated folks drop their watch sometimes just trying to put it on! :D

TattooedMac
04-30-2015, 09:51 PM
Agreed completely. I know though some very uncoordinated folks drop their watch sometimes just trying to put it on! :D

Ding, Ding, Ding !!!! Me in my 20's and while in the Military . . . . I'll leave the rest to the imagination ;P

RONE
04-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Put the phone in your pocket? Your suggestion seems to be one premised on buying something to solve what could easily be a change of habit. And, honestly, given that most people seem to be wedded to their phones these days, missing a notification or two may not be all that bad.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're a little out of touch with women. Have you seen the clothes they wear? Have you seen their purses? My mother-in-law could lose a small child in her purse. And there's no way she would routinely carry a phone in her pocket.

dbm
05-01-2015, 04:51 AM
It's interesting. I could see ladies as the primary audience for Apple Watches, and typically fashion factors are more important to them than most men (fitting with the fashion push as part of the launch). As they are 51% of the population that wouldn't be a bad target to aim for.

vansmith
05-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're a little out of touch with women. Have you seen the clothes they wear? Have you seen their purses? My mother-in-law could lose a small child in her purse. And there's no way she would routinely carry a phone in her pocket.Given that I teach college students and work with women on a regular basis, I'm very well aware of what they wear and I stand by my suggestion. Aside from issues generalizing the types of clothing women wear, I think it's problematic to suggest that women only ever put their phone in their purse. And, even if they do, why would women (and men for that matter) need constant connections to their phones? It's already bad enough that most people walk around with their phones in their hands.

chscag
05-01-2015, 08:59 PM
It's already bad enough that most people walk around with their phones in their hands.

Even worse when they're driving. I don't how it is during the busy hours in Toronto, but here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area I can easily count one out three drivers talking on their phones while trying to navigate traffic at the same time.

vansmith
05-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Even worse when they're driving. I don't how it is during the busy hours in Toronto, but here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area I can easily count one out three drivers talking on their phones while trying to navigate traffic at the same time.A distracted driving law was passed a few years back in Ontario to curb this behaviour (which hasn't really worked) since people do it all the time. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting pulled over for that. I think the worst part though is the disjoint between people's awareness of the law and their inaction (often saying "yes, I know this is against the law but I just need to call...").

Slydude
05-02-2015, 12:31 PM
A distracted driving law was passed a few years back in Ontario to curb this behaviour (which hasn't really worked) since people do it all the time. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting pulled over for that. I think the worst part though is the disjoint between people's awareness of the law and their inaction (often saying "yes, I know this is against the law but I just need to call...").

Same is true for many cities here in the U.S. The laws are in place in many cities/states. When a headline making accident occurs everyone is aware of the tragic consequences but within a day or two everything back to the status quo.

Even the hands free devices don't really help. The conversation is still a major distraction.

vansmith
05-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Even the hands free devices don't really help. The conversation is still a major distraction.It's actually amazing how much more distracting conversations are when they're dependent on technology. You even see this with people on their phones walking down the street.

Slydude
05-02-2015, 12:49 PM
It's actually amazing how much more distracting conversations are when they're dependent on technology. You even see this with people on their phones walking down the street.

Exactly. You wouldn't believe how many times I've encountered people who say hello as they're passing and I respond only to discover they were talking to someone on the phone via one of the in ear headsets.

vansmith
05-02-2015, 01:21 PM
The one thing that really bothers me are people who are oblivious to the world around them and walk without looking (and in those cases, they almost walk into everything). Thinking back to the watch, I actually see this getting worse if it's much easier for people to be distracted as they travel.

I wonder where smartwatches will fall with regards to distracted driving laws...

Slydude
05-02-2015, 01:29 PM
I agree. The distractions do seem to be getting worse. I used to think it was the cranky old man in me screaming the digital equivalent of "Hey you kids get off my lawn". Even some of my younger friends have noticed it though.

With regard to the law. I'm not a lawyer obviously but I bet the same distracted driving laws covering cell phones are going to be applied not only to the Apple watch but wearables in general. To me it doesn't take much of a stretch in logic to say that the intent of these laws is to reduce the number of distracted drivers.

If judges conclude these laws don't apply it probably won't be long before they are amended.

IWT
05-02-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm coming in to this 6 pages from the start and most of anything worth saying has been said.

To reassure chas-m, I'm not in any way knocking the Apple Watch which I don't have and never will.

Not because it doesn't work, not because some clown throwing it on the ground causes it to malfunction, not because I don't believe versions .2 .3 and so on will be a huge improvement and certainly not because I'm a Luddite.

I have a beautiful watch which, for me, is as much jewellery as a timekeeper and I wouldn't swap it for....most anything.

If we recognise that there are those with mobile (cell) phones who drive and phone; drive and text, then how about the "watch" (any make). Got a text, look at watch. Got a notification, look at watch. Got an email, look at watch, and so forth. This is a recipe for dangerous driving. And even more difficult to prosecute. Observe a person with phone to ear; see someone texting with both hands on their phone and steering the car with their knees—even then prosecutions are rare. But fiddling with your watch. Who's to know or see. Even the person they knock down won't ever know.

Hands-free communication. An oxymoron.

Great technology, but in the wrong environment, a potential killer.

Ian

chas_m
05-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Ian: well put. I would argue that notifications on the Apple Watch are going to be easier to handle than with an iPhone, but its a distraction nonetheless. I personally don't find that I have much a problem with notifications on the iPhone, and have little temptation to reply to them when I'm driving. I do look at the notification to see if it is urgent, but early on I trained myself to find a spot to pull over if I need to respond, and that has worked out well (and needs to happen far less often than one might think -- most messages in life are just not that important).

Since your wrist is right in your eyeline, notifications will be easier to see, which may or may not be a good thing (an early tip I've heard from friends with the Watch is that you really have to pare down to just the VIPs and alarmed events your notifications when using the Apple Watch). I fear the driver who is using the watch to have a chat just as I do the driver who is using their iPhone while driving.

I imagine in time these device manufacturers will be forced by law (or just decide to do so themselves) to implement a technology that turns off certain more common kinds of notifications when the device detects that it is moving in such a way that indicates car driving and just lets the intelligently-detected "important" ones through, kind of like "do not disturb" on iPhones works now (and which is brilliant, btw). The technology is getting more intelligent, and ultimately I think that will help. Siri might one day say to me "you have a message from your wife. Do you want me to read it to you?" Where the only responses are "yes" and "no," but no matter how much you try and safeguard drivers they have a disturbing tendency to put themselves in danger ...

TattooedMac
05-02-2015, 08:56 PM
I wonder where smartwatches will fall with regards to distracted driving laws...

Got a notification, look at watch. Got an email, look at watch, and so forth. This is a recipe for dangerous driving. And even more difficult to prosecute. Observe a person with phone to ear; see someone texting with both hands on their phone and steering the car with their knees—even then prosecutions are rare. But fiddling with your watch. Who's to know or see. Even the person they knock down won't ever know.

Great technology, but in the wrong environment, a potential killer.

Down here, the Law says, something like "If you are driving recklessly, then you can be charged" and they define Recklessly, as if you don't have your eyes on the road, and/or you don't have 2 hands on the steering wheel.

I know this, because I carry a small HandHeld UHF in my car. Being a ex truckie, I like to chat with other drivers, and find out where the 'Speed Traps' are, and tell them to drive safe and make it home tonight, and being pulled over by said 'Cops', he was going to charge me with talking on my Phone, until I pulled it out of my bag, and showed him it had no battery power.
I showed him I had a handheld UHF and then he then rattled off the "reckless driving" thing.

I argued that if I was in a Truck right now, he couldn't charge me with using the UHF, because every truck has one. He then reminded me, that yes he could, but because of the 'truckies law' he let me go.
So I could guarantee that if the Police saw someone playing around with their wrist, then they would be pulled over and charged with 'Reckless Driving' . . . .

Rod Sprague
05-03-2015, 03:09 AM
So now that the Apple Watch has been released what do people think about it. I have read some accounts and some are rather funny i have to say. This site describes a conversation between Siri on his iPhone and "Rocky" on his Apple Watch.
Here's how silly taking a call on Apple Watch might be - CNET (http://www.cnet.com/news/heres-how-silly-taking-a-call-on-apple-watch-will-be/)
Humour aside I can see some issues, as it is whenever I am with my wife in the office and she receives a phone call, her iPhone, iPad and laptop all ring at the same time. Yesterday I received a phone call on my iPhone which I answered but was surprised when I returned to my MBP to see a notification stating one missed call. What if I'd had an Apple Watch as well? Would 2 out of 3 register missed calls? No just kidding, the Apple Watch of course works via Bluetooth from my mobile phone but the picture of someone taking a call on one is, well, kinda funny.;)

Slydude
05-03-2015, 01:08 PM
I
I imagine in time these device manufacturers will be forced by law (or just decide to do so themselves) to implement a technology that turns off certain more common kinds of notifications when the device detects that it is moving in such a way that indicates car driving and just lets the intelligently-detected "important" ones through, kind of like "do not disturb" on iPhones works now (and which is brilliant, btw). ...

I don't have a problem with this idea in theory as long as manufacturers are doing it voluntarily. I do have problems with manufacturers (and by extension their users) being forced not to have notifications /only have them in certain ways.

My first objection is purely philosophical and some may think trivial: I'm getting a bit tired of having the entire world adapt the the lowest common denominator / attempting to correct for the fact someone might behave irresponsibly. Someone behaves irresponsibly and the rest of the world is treated like a toddler as a consequence? There's something wrong with that.

Second, if watches / other devices are going to "intelligently" decide what gets responded to based in part on whether it senses motion, I want the ability to set the rules for that. Intelligently responding to messages from certain contacts might be useful to me. Responding based upon whether the device detects a certain degree of motion is not. Not being a driver, my responding to notifications while in motion is not an issue for me.

chas_m
05-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Good point. At present, users have great control over what notifications do or do not appear on the iPhone or the Watch, and should use good judgement on what gets to pass through and what can wait for later.

You've punched a nice hole in my motion-based idea, so I doubt that will ever happen. Forgot about passengers (as I'm the one who does ALL the driving in my family). That could still work, but it would have to be a pref the user set ("disable notifications while driving except for VIP/Emergency"), and yes there is already a way to get emergency messages through. Even runners would find too many notifications distracting, so I expect that is something most people will limit themselves, but as you point out the bad apples who can't behave responsibly will probably ruin it for the rest of us.

Of course, part of the problem is that a LOT of people imagine themselves more responsible than they actually are ...

Slydude
05-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Of course, part of the problem is that a LOT of people imagine themselves more responsible than they actually are ...

How right you are about that. Like everything else each driver thinks it's the other guy that's a menace.

I actually think motion based notification might be fun. Since I'm pushing my wheelchair throughout the day, I wonder if I could get going fast enough to trigger the motion warning that would prevent notifications.

MacInWin
05-03-2015, 10:15 PM
I was aircrew in the US Navy. See my avatar. We learned to fly, run weapons systems, communicate and execute the mission, all simultaneously. I'm also an amateur radio operator (ham) and I have a radio in my car with a handheld microphone. I use it practically ever day while driving. It's an issue of training. Nobody trains drivers on how to multiprocess, or when to stop multiprocessing and single focus. But with training, one CAN learn to fly (drive) and communicate at the same time. One CAN learn when the flying (driving) needs more attention than communications, and vice versa. So maybe what is needed is NOT more laws about distractors in the cockpit, but a change of training emphasis to include how to drive with the distractors. Maybe we should include distractors in our drivers' education courses, both classroom and on the road. Train drivers HOW to use the technology safely before we let them get a license.

If we did that, then all NEW drivers would be trained, but what about the old guys? Well, we could, if we wanted, say to existing drivers, if you want to use your distractors, get trained, come in, take a test with distractors in use to show you can do it safely and get a new license and we'll endorse your license that you have been trained how to use those distractors. Now, if you get stopped by a policeman, or get into an accident and your distractors had any role (even if YOU are not the primary cause) and you don't have a "distractor endorsement" on your license, you get charged with distracted driving. If you do have the endorsement, no charge unless YOU are the primary cause of the accident. Insurance companies could then be the financial incentive to get that training and endorsement...they can charge a higher rate for folks without the endorsement.

BTW, "distractors" are defined as not just phones and watches, but all the screens, nav gear, and "features" being built in to the cockpit these days. I saw one ad for a car (Mercedes, I think) that has a screen as big as an iPad at steering wheel height in the middle of the dash! Just imagine Gramps buying that beast and driving down the road watching not the road, but the display! And more cars will come down the road with the so-called head's up display on the inside of the windshield. How about THAT for a distractor!

As for motion-disabled functions, they just don't work well. I had one that prevented texting when it was moving, but then my wife couldn't text as the passenger, so I disabled it.

What we need is to train people how to use the technology safely.

TattooedMac
05-03-2015, 10:42 PM
^^^^ Jake, I agree wholeheartedly with your perception of people CAN be trained to multitask. I like you am a Military brat. I grew up on a farm, so learning to multitask, was with me at a early age, driving a tractor, reading the instruments, while at the same time, changing the depths of tines.
That was simple, but when in the Army, to pass our license, with had to pass a advanced driving course, on a Skid pan. Then driving Armoured vehicles, while listening to the commander, and/or radioing in co-ordinates was he same.
Then it took me to driving Multi-Combination Trucks, mainly Road Trains, B-Doubles and B-Triples where there was 3-5 pivot points. I could drive these while on the UHF, and even reversing one around a corner, while talking to a operator, it isn't easy. (eevn reversing a B-Double requires thinking 2-3 steps ahead)
In all these situations, there are only certain people that can do this. When I became a Driving Instructor in the Military, I would fail 35-40% of participants, because they couldn't reverse even a single pivot trailer. No matter how hard we worked at training the individual, they just couldn't pick it up.
Its because of this, they would of been a danger on the road to other users, because it weeded them out, that they couldn't multitask like others could.

As I said above, I agree people CAN be trained, I have to say, that training people to multitask for the road, would be a bad idea. As it is now, there are instructors that will put people through the test and pass them, for one reason or another (we have all seen those drivers that you say "How on earth did they get a license"?? I do it every day more than once). So add to that, people being distracted while driving, and you would double the danger on the road.
I have never had a accident, in the 1,000,000's of Kilometres I have driven around the biggest Island on earth, and I know I could watch my NavMan, read text msgs, write text messages, and if possible, watch a TV show while I was driving, but there are people out there, that would crash, even if they were only listening to a Audio Book, because they would try to process the words being said, more than concentrating on the road. . . . Its too dangerous to let such legislation into the Law of the Road !!!

MacInWin
05-03-2015, 10:56 PM
TM, the real challenge is that drivers are distracted by more than just technology. Phones and watches may be easy targets, but what about food, cigarettes, children, etc? I was rear-ended in city traffic once. I was sitting there at a light, looked in the mirror to see a car coming with the woman driver facing the back seat! She never saw me at all. Slammed right into me, still looking at her child. Because I saw her coming, I braced and held the brakes really hard to keep from being pushed into the car in front of me. Fortunately, nobody was hurt and because my car was a rental, I got to leave it to them to sort out with her insurance company. But my point is that she was distracted.

What is different now is that we have a lot of drivers who have no idea what they are doing with the phone and their car. Training them on it, testing them on it, licensing them according to the testing and letting insurance companies provide incentives could reduce the risk overall.

How about this: Let the Insurance companies certify the trainers/instructors/testers. That way the insurance companies will have a profit motive to make sure the trainers/instructors/testers actually performed as they are supposed to. If a trainer/instructor/tester has too many graduates involved in distracted accidents, the insurance company can either retrain the trainer or simply suspend them and refuse to accept the training/certification.

I am generally opposed to having the government make more laws. We have enough laws. We have enough lawyers. Let's try letting good old profit motive drive some behavioral changes.

IWT
05-04-2015, 05:17 AM
I'm really glad I brought up this subject because it has generated some wise thinking. The solutions to distractions are not straightforward and, of course Brent & Jake are military-trained. I find it hard to see how we prepare 17 year olds, with the attention span of a mayfly, not to end up with the same life expectancy. Especially those who regard mobile devices as a extra limb. Still, my sole aim was to raise awareness of a problem. And it did!

A year or two ago, the Welsh Police commissioned a team to produce a safety video highlighting the dangers of texting while driving. This video won international awards and for those interested in viewing this top quality production, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E

Ian

dbm
05-04-2015, 06:04 AM
My Bachelor's degree is in Ergonomics, and it was well understood back in the 90s and earlier that multi-tasking causes performance degradation unless the skills are taught in combination. And the military were decades ahead of everyone else on ergonomics for a long time. Interestingly, in the UK they are talking about adding "Satnav use" to the official driving test, so someone somewhere is paying attention to all this!

The real challenge with young types is that the risk-perception part of your brain is happier to take more risks the younger you are. Children really are born fearless!

MacInWin
05-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Ian, the military starts with 17-18 year olds and trains them on some pretty intense multiprocessing scenarios, so the brain of that teenager CAN be trained, despite the attention span! If the average teenager knew that multiprocessing was going to be part of the driving test, they would concentrate on passing that test! Trust me, teens can focus when it's in what they perceive as their best interest, and that license to drive is definitely in that category.

That video was fantastic! I remember when I lived in UK in the mid-70's that there was a series of adverts called "Clunk-click" that wanted you to start using your seat belts. The Clunk was the car door, the Click was the seat belt. They interviewed mostly teens who had been in accidents who had NOT used seatbelt and were injured. I remember two, a young man who had backed down his driveway and been hit, breaking his neck, leaving him a quadriplegic and a girl who had been thrown through the windscreen, cutting her face horrifically. Her stitches looked like a baseball, running all over what had been a very pretty face. Those adverts worked really well. I hope that the texting advert works as well. Teens need to be brought face to face with the consequences of actions in graphic ways to have it register, sometimes (well, maybe most times).

pigoo3
05-05-2015, 05:09 PM
I thought of this thread when I was in the checkout line at Walmart today. Part of this thread was talking about women, purses, and where they put their smartphones.

So I'm waiting in the checkout lane earlier today at Walmart…and there was a rather large-chested woman ahead of me (believe me…she wasn't my type)!;)

Well guess where her smartphone was??…in her bra.;) She was wearing a tank top with a plunging neckline (lots of cleavage showing)…so definitely easy access to the cellphone.;) So what happens…the smartphone rings & she just reaches in there to get it & answer it.;)

She had no purse. Yup…lots of storage in there!;) Probably a lot faster & easier to access than a purse. I think that the smartphone was about the size of an iPhone 6.

- Nick

lclev
05-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Oh Nick NOOOOO you were NOT noticing her ample blessings! ;) It was just for scientific observation I am sure.

Be that as it may, there is a ton of discussions about a direct correlation to breast cancer and carrying a cellphone in a bra.

snopes.com: Cell Phones in Bras Cause Breast Cancer? (http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/cellphonebra.asp)

If she is as blessed as you indicate she has a lot to loose.

I personally carry in my back pocket or mainly in my purse. My girls are safe! :Blushing:

Lisa

lclev
05-09-2015, 08:48 PM
I came back to this thread to talk about how I went for a Watch try on and I find a discussion about distracted driving and cellphone carrying choices.

So back to the watch. I went for a watch try on appointment at my local apple store. I had a blast playing with the watch. They have these simulation stations that let you pretend to set up the watch, delete text, change the look of the face etc. I tried on the sport watch and the watch. I like the 42mm - the larger one. I can see it better and I like big watches.

I do liked the leather watch band with magnets that wrap around. It really feels nice. But for the extra $300, I don't like it that much.

The sport watch feels lighter on my wrist which I liked. I did discover you can not buy a sport watch then get a band made for the watch. They are not interchangeable between models.

So I came home and ordered a white sport watch - 42 mm. Delivery month is July, which is fine as I am in no hurry. That gives me time to enroll in a distracted driving program! :*

Seriously, I get the distracted drive problem and I am not making light of it. I have a strict no texting when driving policy. I will have to see how I will deal with the watch notifying me. I anticipate it will allow me to decide if I need to pull over or ignore it. I guess I will see.

Lisa

pigoo3
05-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Oh Nick NOOOOO you were NOT noticing her ample blessings! ;) It was just for scientific observation I am sure.

Think of it sort of as a geometry lesson.:) When you see something that's supposed to be roughly spherical or cone shaped…and what you actually see is a rather large-flat rectangular shape (smartphone)…it tends to attract extra attention.;)

Be that as it may, there is a ton of discussions about a direct correlation to breast cancer and carrying a cellphone in a bra.

I personally carry in my back pocket or mainly in my purse.

What about "buttock" issues??;)

It seems that there's conjecture about multiple parts of the body where cellphones come into close contact repeatedly. I believe there have been studies that link cellphone use & the brain as well.

- Nick

lclev
05-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Think of it sort of as a geometry lesson.:) When you see something that's supposed to be roughly spherical or cone shaped…and what you actually see is a rather large-flat rectangular shape (smartphone)…it tends to attract extra attention.;)

Right... Having raised boys and having three brothers ... I am sure that is what they are distracted by too! ;)

What about "buttock" issues??;)

I have given that some considerable thought. I alternate sides and well... based upon my observations of my posterior, bottom shaping could be a blessing. ;P Seriously, it does ride in my purse most of the time. ;)

It seems that there's conjecture about multiple parts of the body where cellphones come into close contact repeatedly. I believe there have been studies that link cellphone use & the brain as well.

I had heard. I know they tried to blame Senator Ted Kennedy's brain cancer on his phone.

Lisa

pm-r
05-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Hmmm…??? "What about "buttock" issues?? ;) "

I dare say she has two "cheeky girls" to contend with. :Blushing:

pigoo3
05-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Right... Having raised boys and having three brothers ... I am sure that is what they are distracted by too! ;)

Just in case I wasn't super clear in my first post on this topic.:) She wasn't my type. Remember...this was at Walmart!!!;)

Let's just say that:

- she was a "big girl"
- that the iPhone 6 sized smart phone looked small in there
- her brassiere size had two letters of the alphabet in it...and those letters were near the middle of the alphabet!!!;)

* Nick

p.s. But I definitely understand what you mean about raising boys & having brothers!!!;)

Giggle...Giggle!;);)

lclev
05-10-2015, 05:19 PM
And the whole exchange and references I made are all in good fun - as are yours Nick ;)

I know what you mean. Sometimes what we encounter - especially in Walmart - just defies description. :Cool:

Lisa

TattooedMac
05-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Just in case I wasn't super clear in my first post on this topic.:) She wasn't my type. Remember...this was at Walmart!!!;)

Let's just say that:

- she was a "big girl"
- that the iPhone 6 sized smart phone looked small in there
- her brassiere size had two letters of the alphabet in it...and those letters were near the middle of the alphabet!!!;)

* Nick

p.s. But I definitely understand what you mean about raising boys & having brothers!!!;)

Giggle...Giggle!;);)

And the whole exchange and references I made are all in good fun - as are yours Nick ;)

I know what you mean. Sometimes what we encounter - especially in Walmart - just defies description. :Cool:

Lisa

This reminds me of those Funny Walmart Youtube videos lol (https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=crazy+walmart+people+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=xuhPVbiTG87u8wf22IBY)

ImDrRichard
06-21-2015, 04:22 PM
I am a watch collector and favor Rolex. In any case, I purchased an Apple Watch as I was intrigued about it's integration with my phone.

While I'm still partial to mechanical watches, I find that the Apple Watch (Version 1) is fun. I get my email, all notifications, texts, iMessages, etc., and I've added the apps I use every day on my phone. Excellent integration with my phone and computer. I would like to see future versions with wifi as well as more clock faces but I'm sure those are coming. The price is a bit high but the 42mm fit my wrist nicely and was a successful add to my obsession with Apple products.

Nighthawk4
07-13-2015, 11:12 AM
A couple of dumb questions about the Watch:

1. Anyone tried the Watch whose eyesight is no longer that good? I am wondering if I would be able to read the screen without putting on reading glasses each time. Acceptable for my iPhone but not ideal with a watch.

2. Is there any way to tell which Apps have Watch versions please? Do they appear in a different place in the App Store, or only once the Watch has been purchased?

I can see no real need for one of these, but I am still very tempted :\

IWT
07-13-2015, 12:21 PM
I am wonering if I would be able to read the screen without putting on reading glasses each time

And definitely not acceptable if one is driving!

Ian

vansmith
07-13-2015, 12:28 PM
2. Is there any way to tell which Apps have Watch versions please? Do they appear in a different place in the App Store, or only once the Watch has been purchased?They're listed with the regular iPhone app. Search for an app that you know has an AW version on your iPhone and you'll see how the App Store signals the availability of a watch version.

Nighthawk4
07-13-2015, 12:38 PM
They're listed with the regular iPhone app. Search for an app that you know has an AW version on your iPhone and you'll see how the App Store signals the availability of a watch version.

Just discovered that with some Apps thanks.

Some even give a free Watch version with the iPhone/iPad version, which is a nice touch.

pm-r
07-13-2015, 01:47 PM
And definitely not acceptable if one is driving!

Ian

What…??? You mean for the price that Siri wouldn't tell you what you wanted to know that you couldn't read without reading glasses???? :Mischievous: :\

lclev
07-13-2015, 04:32 PM

1. Anyone tried the Watch whose eyesight is no longer that good? I am wondering if I would be able to read the screen without putting on reading glasses each time. Acceptable for my iPhone but not ideal with a watch.

2. Is there any way to tell which Apps have Watch versions please? Do they appear in a different place in the App Store, or only once the Watch has been purchased?

1. I have to use computer/reading bi-focals for just about everything. My close and mid-range vision is shot. I can read my iPhone 6+ screen without them if I squint and sort of guess based on known words and shapes.

I have set my Watch text size to it's largest. This affects the text within most apps such as messages, mail, calendar etc. The watch face itself does not change text size but the one I use is already large enough plus there are large as well as small sized watch faces to pick from. Without my glasses, I have no problems seeing the watch face to tell time. It is actually much easier to see than the dozen or so other watches I have. I can even make out text messages. The watch is also fairly easy to read in sunlight.

2. Apps for the watch appear on you iPhone in the Apple Watch app that was installed with iOS 8.3 (?). If you open the app, at the bottom, you will find a Featured and Search selection. The Featured selection will open to show the watch apps.

Also I have found some apps that I had installed on my iphone have ported over automatically to the watch. You can control which ones using the watch app on the iPhone.

I know a lot of people have been hesitant about the watch and some are actively bashing it. I do think the lack of an on board GPS was not a good move for Apple and I imagine the next version will have one given their obvious fitness push (the activity app can nag you to death! Thank goodness it can be turned off or adjusted.)

I bought it to do just what it is doing so well for me. I wanted something to notify me of incoming calls and messages plus inform me of appointment. It is perfect for that. I leave my phone on silent most of the time because my job requires it. I was always forgetting to change it back and I would miss calls and messages. The watch fixed that for me. I changed my calendar app to Fantastical which also has reminders and works flawlessly with the watch and I am a happy camper.

I read a lot on different forums where people are complaining and returning the watch. I wonder what they were expecting it to do? Apple didn't miss lead people. Were they expecting hidden wonders to emerge when they opened the box - who knows?

I see some validity to the GPS issue and I would love to be able to get calls and messages without the need for my phone to be less than 30 (realistically 15) feet away, but it is a Gen 1 - this will come. And by then I will be ready to move on because I am thinking it will be a couple of years - or at least one - before we see Gen 2.

I have also seen the articles about a drop in sales by a "reputable" site that guesses based on web sales - what ever. And then I remember 2007 when the iPhone came out and how it was predicted to be a flop....so hows that working for the nay-sayers now?

Okay - now that I hope I answered Nighthawk4's questions, I will get off my soap box. ;)

Lisa

ImDrRichard
07-13-2015, 05:43 PM

1. Anyone tried the Watch whose eyesight is no longer that good? I am wonering if I would be able to read the screen without putting on reading glasses each time. Acceptable for my iPhone but not ideal with a watch.

Nighthawk4, I wear contacts and at my age need "readers" at 3.25. Without them, I can't see any watch on my wrist.

chscag
07-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Nighthawk4, I wear contacts and at my age need "readers" at 3.25. Without them, I can't see any watch on my wrist.

I use 2.25X cheap Walmart glasses for reading but I do use prescription glasses that focus at 30" when I'm sitting in front of the iMac. I don't wear a watch for the same reason. My iPhone is my watch. ;D

JPH675
07-13-2015, 10:55 PM

Dr. Richard: I have worn a gold faced Rolex for over 25 years and I could no longer see the face to tell time without putting on my reading glasses, 1.5.

Just for kicks, I bought a blue banded Apple Watch Sport and use the blue full watch face, and I can see the time without my reading glasses. However, I cannot read e-mails or texts without putting my glasses on. When e-mails or messages come through, I usually just put my glasses on and read them with my iPhone.

I have been wearing this watch the last couple months and enjoy it.

lclev
07-13-2015, 10:59 PM
Okay here you go. For all you with old (but wise) eyes out there. Here are some choices. ;)

Lisa

chscag
07-13-2015, 11:52 PM
That first face would be great if you wear your watch to bed and need to see the time in the middle of the night. And of course everyone loves Mickey. ;D

Nighthawk4
07-14-2015, 06:04 AM
The first one will be useful once WatchOS2 comes out, with the ability to use the Watch as an alarm clock whilst recharging.

Nighthawk4
07-14-2015, 06:12 AM
Thanks guys - those posts were very helpful. It seems I am not the only 'blind' one here :Mischievous:

I may well need to visit the nearest Apple Store fairly soon (about 12 - 15 miles away), mainly because they seem to have the Watches in stock compared with a very poor delivery date quoted online (end of this month).

As my Birthday is on the 25th of this month I may decide to buy myself a present ;)

Expensive - yes.
Necessary - of course not.
Desirable - yes.

So is the Watch :Cool:

Edit - I have an appointment to go and collect one this afternoon after work. Can't wait :)

Slydude
07-14-2015, 10:40 AM
:o:Cool::Cool:My wife would never agree to living that close to an Apple Store. If we did they might as well put a cot and mini fridge in the back room for me.

Nighthawk4
07-14-2015, 10:41 AM
:o:Cool::Cool:My wife would never agree to living that close to an Apple Store. If we did they might as well put a cot and mini fridge in the back room for me.

Hehe :)

Nighthawk4
07-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Not bad so far. Needs a delicate touch and very small fingers for the menu.

Smaller than expected - glad I chose the larger version, as the other one would be impossibly small.

Will take some practice I think :)

lclev
07-14-2015, 08:00 PM
When you are selecting an app, I found rotating the screen until the one you want is in the center. Then it will appear to be larger and it helps when selecting.

Lisa

chas_m
07-14-2015, 09:37 PM
You guys might find this two-part series on living WITHOUT the Apple Watch amusing:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/07/06/they.are.making.me.do.it.129388/

Hands Off: Taking off the Apple Watch for one week - part two | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/07/14/it.was.168.hours.and.it.was.damn.hard.129494/)

TattooedMac
07-14-2015, 10:02 PM
When you are selecting an app, I found rotating the screen until the one you want is in the center. Then it will appear to be larger and it helps when selecting.

Lisa

Hey Lisa, I found a article a while ago, showing the Scientific way of arranging your AppleWatch App . . It makes sense after reading the article ;)

Scientifically perfect way to organize your Apple Watch apps (http://www.cultofmac.com/322262/scientific-apple-watch-app-layout/)

http://imgur.com/kfNTfUH.png

vansmith
07-14-2015, 10:49 PM
You guys might find this two-part series on living WITHOUT the Apple Watch amusing:

Hands Off: Taking off the Apple Watch for one week | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/07/06/they.are.making.me.do.it.129388/)

Hands Off: Taking off the Apple Watch for one week - part two | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/07/14/it.was.168.hours.and.it.was.damn.hard.129494/)The author in that article needs to seek some time with himself to think about his attachment to the watch - if you're going to be that anxious about not wearing a watch for a week, you really need to find out why you have such an addiction to the device.

The second article is even worse in chronicling an honest addiction. This line is the clincher:
When the Watch reached 168 hours, and I snatched it off the desk to put on, I truly felt a sense of relief.If you feel a cathartic relief because you finally get to wear a watch, I really believe you need to think about why you have such a feeling of relief.

I get that many of us have an "addiction" to our devices but this is a little much.

lclev
07-14-2015, 11:38 PM
chas_m - interesting articles. The guy has serious issues. I just watched a Dr. Phil episode about a kid who was seriously addicted to gaming. They now have rehab centers for people with tech addictions. What are some of us coming to? All tech is nothing but "stuff" and we can certainly live without it.

I like my watch and I use it, but I won't have withdraw if I have to give it up. I will just put one of my other watches on. I do like to wear a watch to know what time it is. I seem to like being on time to meetings, appointments, etc and if I have a watch on that happens. I am funny that way.

TattoedMac I already arrange my apps similar to the scientific arranging described in the article. I like the ones I use the most to be around the center watch icon but I like the circle idea. I will give that a try. I like to keep it simple and easy.

Lisa

Nighthawk4
07-15-2015, 04:40 AM
I agree that it is easier to select an App if you move it to the centre of the screen first.

Still early days, so it is more a question of using the Watch to justify the cost rather than being addicted to using it. :Mischievous:

I cannot believe the amount of packaging - no wonder they are so expensive. The box was like the ones in Olivanders when Harry Potter bought his wand. Plus the plastic box inside the box and the sleeve with the second part of the strap. Brilliant power plug though - very clever. Lastly a strong carrier bag, especially for the Watch.

When the guy in the Apple Store arrived with that huge box I wondered what it was for - and where was my Watch? Amazing :)

It seemed weird walking back to the car park with a big carrier bag as if I had done some serious shopping - and all I had was a wristwatch :D

dbm
07-15-2015, 04:47 AM
I agree that it is easier to select an App if you move it to the centre of the screen first.

Once the app you want is in the centre spot you can use the digital crown to 'zoom in' and launch it.

Nighthawk4
07-15-2015, 05:32 AM
Whilst in the Apple Store we discussed ApplePay. The guy in the Store had it setup with a NatWest Debit Card. However, my NatWest Debit card says I need to phone NatWest and the Credit Card says it has not been approved for ApplePay. However my MBNA Card works (or at least was setup successfully).

One odd thing is that the Apple Store guy said the cards are not limited to £20. He said that if I had it setup I could have paid for my Watch with it. I said it was amazingly generous of him to let me have the Watch for £20 :Smirk:

Another odd thing is that it seems you have to add the cards twice - once in the iPhone version of the App and then in the Watch version (although still on the iPhone, not actually on the Watch). Both gave the same results for each card for me.

Anyone else tried setting up ApplePay yet, in the UK?

Edit - I now have ApplePay setup with my NatWest Debit Card. Oddly enough, they say their Visa Credit Cards are not setup yet, although their MasterCards are. Despite the fact the Debit Card is also Visa and the MBNA card is Visa :Not-Amused:

dbm
07-15-2015, 10:07 AM
One odd thing is that the Apple Store guy said the cards are not limited to £20. He said that if I had it setup I could have paid for my Watch with it. I said it was amazingly generous of him to let me have the Watch for £20 :Smirk:

Another odd thing is that it seems you have to add the cards twice - once in the iPhone version of the App and then in the Watch version (although still on the iPhone, not actually on the Watch). Both gave the same results for each card for me.

Anyone else tried setting up ApplePay yet, in the UK?

My banking providers don't support it yet, but I am planning to move banks and my new provider will. That isn't the only reason I will move, but it has been the final encouragement to change.

You do have to set up your cards on each device separately.

In terms of ApplePay vs 'regular' contactless payments: ApplePay is not limited in terms of transaction value but you can only do this with a vendor who has specifically joined the ApplePay scheme and has the upgraded NFC terminals. Beyond that, you can use an ApplePay set-up device as you would any contactless card in the UK, i.e. with a £20 limit at present, increasing to £30 in September or thenabouts.

IWT
07-15-2015, 10:49 AM
You are spot on, dbm.

My banking providers don't support it yet

That's critical problem one: too few are on the ball at the moment.

you can only do this with a vendor who has specifically joined the ApplePay scheme and has the upgraded NFC terminals

That's critical point two: outside of the big cities and selected provincial towns, those who reside in areas often designated "the sticks", but which are in fact large seaside or tourist resorts, are not going to encounter many vendors with the appropriate terminals.

It will happen in time, for sure; but for some of us that's an indefinable point in the future.

Anyway, good luck and happy shopping to those who have these facilities.

Ian

Nighthawk4
07-16-2015, 04:31 AM
It worked!! :o

This morning in Costa Coffee, I saw a message on the card scanner saying they accept ApplePay, so I tried it. I used the Watch - and after two or three tries it worked.

It would have been easier to use the iPhone really, which I used for the Costa Club App anyway. To be honest it would have been easier to use the contactless thing with the debit card, but that is not the point.

No doubt I will get used to it and that will make it quicker :\

Abhiaftermath
08-10-2015, 06:43 AM
A popular Market Research firm measured a 97% customer satisfaction rate for Apple Watch and the impact it’s having on their health, their daily routines, and how they communicate is impressive. Apple’s own market research shows that 94% of Apple Watch owners wear and use it regularly, if not every day.

lclev
08-10-2015, 12:07 PM
I just got back from a three day seminar at The Cove. (the Billy Graham Training center.) Most of the people who were in attendance are in the 60-80 year old age range. I, of course, am in the very young 60 range. ;D

What was very interesting to me (in addition to the seminar :D) was how many times my apple watch was spotted and I was asked to demo it. I know I did over a dozen demonstrations and more than a few were looking to get one. Most of the iPhone users loved the idea of the watch and the integration it offered. I showed them how to text, check mail, showed them pictures, explained about answering a call and told them about the upcoming 2.0 features.

Prior to this if I got asked about my watch, it would be a quick "Oh, that is cool!" type comment and that was it. These people would ask detailed questions and wanted to see it work. Very unexpected.

Lisa

AndyClift
08-26-2015, 04:26 AM
Before Apple Watch I rarely use my Contactless debit and credit cards. This was because I had to get my wallet out to get to the cards and once my wallet was in my hand it was just as easy to use cash. Now I use contactless all the time. It's just so easy to not have to think about taking wallet out of pocket, just click my Watch. In fact when I am at work I often go out for a coffee and I no longer bother to take my wallet. Costa, Starbucks, MacD, Marks and Spencer, etc. etc. all let me use the Watch. I have never tried it on my phone but doubt if I would use it so much if I only had the phone.

lclev
08-30-2015, 02:52 PM
I finally got my watch setup with my credit card. I had to call my card company and they had to set it up. Unfortunately, the first person I called had no idea what I was talking about so I figured I was doing something wrong. After a couple more frustrating weeks, I called them back and this time the guy knew exactly what to do and now it is all good.

Now if I could only remember to use it. It is right after I have swiped my card I remember I could have used my watch. :Smirk:

Lisa

pm-r
08-30-2015, 03:32 PM
I finally got my watch setup with my credit card. I had to call my card company and they had to set it up. …
… … ...
Now if I could only remember to use it. It is right after I have swiped my card I remember I could have used my watch. :Smirk:

Lisa

Hmmm…??? I find that hard to believe that you would have had any such difficulty, which almost means that it will probably be almost impossible for just the average user to do. ;)

Sure doesn't sound like Apple's "…it's just so simple" short setup spiel. :o :[

chscag
08-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Maybe I'm old fashioned or just don't trust Apple pay. I keep getting these hints from my bank to use it. It's not that it's hard to setup, for me it's a matter of trust. I have had my personal and business credit cards hacked several times. Each time our bank has made it good and provided new credit cards. I now have the type of credit card with the embedded chip like European banks have been using for ages. We'll see how long it takes the hackers to figure it out. Apple pay, no way. (see, it even rymes) O:)

IWT
08-30-2015, 05:16 PM
Apple pay, no way. (see, it even rymes)

So, there's two of us who are "old fashioned", or smart, or been there before. Of course Apple Pay has a seductive appeal and I'm not denying that. But there's Lisa, a young veteran, who just remembers about it after using her card. Thing is, it's almost as fast to use your card and, in the UK at least, transactions with Apple Pay are limited to £20 (maybe going up to £30 in September). And if you like "contactless", it's been around on our cards for quite a while. I don't think Apple Pay is ground breaking, but I do understand and acknowledge the appeal it has. Good fortune to those who use it.

Ian

lclev
08-30-2015, 06:47 PM
I should point out that the credit card I used has been hijacked three times now. I am on my third number. The card company has been fabulous about it and always taken care of refunding the charges. The last time it was over $200 charged by iTunes. I called Apple and they had no record those charges on my account. I found it interesting they could not search using the card number. I did ask.

Now I have an app from them that immediately tells me when a charge is made - about time! Anyway, they have earned my trust. But I confess to being a creature of habit and I just haven't gotten into the habit - yet.

The issue with the setup was that - and maybe I missed this somewhere - you have to set up the card not only on your iPhone but also separately on the Watch. While I could set up the card on my iPhone without calling the credit card company, it was not so with the Watch. Unfortunately, I got a customer service person who had no idea what I was talking about. A follow up call got me someone who knew what to do. I figured they had probably just finished up their in-service training on "how to" for setting up the Watch! ;D

Lisa

chas_m
08-31-2015, 05:40 AM
In point of fact, Apple Pay is FAR more secure than any payment system you are using now.

pm-r
08-31-2015, 06:14 PM
In point of fact, Apple Pay is FAR more secure than any payment system you are using now.

That's sure a relief to read and I guess the latest reports aren't related…??? :Smirk:

‘Biggest Apple hack ever’ hits iPhones – how to tell if you’re affected
'Biggest Apple hack ever' hits iPhones, how to tell if you're affected | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/31/225000-iphones-have-been-hacked-how-to-tell-if-youre-affected-5369358/)

lclev
08-31-2015, 09:48 PM
That's sure a relief to read and I guess the latest reports aren't related…??? :Smirk:

‘Biggest Apple hack ever’ hits iPhones – how to tell if you’re affected
'Biggest Apple hack ever' hits iPhones, how to tell if you're affected | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/31/225000-iphones-have-been-hacked-how-to-tell-if-youre-affected-5369358/)

That article says it applies to jailbroken iPhones only.

Quote - "Palo Alto networks says that the malware only affects jailbroken devices, and appears to be spread by apps on third-party app stores such as Cydia."

So what does this tell us kiddies? Thou shalt not jailbreak thy iPhone saith Apple!! ;D

Lisa

chas_m
08-31-2015, 11:03 PM
Misinformation is widespread, but perhaps this will help put some people's minds at ease:

Apple Pay mobile payment system: It could succeed where Google Wallet failed. (http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/09/apple_pay_mobile_payment_system_it_could_succeed_w here_google_wallet_failed.html)
https://www.macnn.com/articles/14/09/12/apple.gets.015.percent.cut.of.purchases.does.not.a ffect.purchase.price/
Strong security of Apple Pay exposes weakness in banking system | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/03/04/institutions.having.to.redouble.efforts.to.guard.a gainst.traditional.fraud.identity.theft/)
Apple Watch relies on PIN, constant skin contact to secure Apple Pay | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/14/09/11/works.around.lack.of.touch.id/)

chscag
08-31-2015, 11:28 PM

Of course it is, after all it's "Apple Pay" so it must be the absolute most secure pay system in the world. O:)

We also thought our "Office of Personnel Management" data base was safe and the numerous other data bases of the US Govt which have been hacked. It's just a matter of time until the hackers figure out how to circumnavigate Apple Pay and clean out some folk's accounts.

chas_m
08-31-2015, 11:51 PM
I thought I'd report in on my first couple of weeks with the Apple Watch. I received a space gray aluminum 42mm model with the black sports band (other bands will be added in the near future, I suspect, though this one is working out just fine). Given that in Canada the watch now costs $500 for the base model, I'll be the first to say that I'm not sure this will attract the casually curious the way a "at par" $350 would have. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you're looking at this thing as a super-fitness device or for that purpose, $350 isn't too far outside the realm of the best of dedicated high-quality fitness devices. It's a bit of a luxury, but to be fair it does do a lot.

A number of people have commented that since the Watch is a slave to the iPhone, there's no point to it. I can certainly see how people who haven't spent time with an Apple Watch would think that way, but in fact this is like saying that you don't need a TV remote -- you can just get up and manually change the channel on the set (and yes, you can still do that even on the latest TVs).

I have been cool to the idea of an Apple Watch right the way along since they debuted -- I had no desire to put a watch of any kind back on my wrist, and I'm not known for my athleticism, so I didn't see myself as the target market. I do, however, use my iPhone a lot -- and it turns out that this is (along with the health crowd) is who the Apple Watch is really aimed at. Apple positions it as a fashion accessory, but that's really only for the Edition version (the $10K gold model). Speaking for myself and the other Apple Watch owners I know, we are not much interested in how it looks, and like it for what it does. So what does it do that's worth at least $350?

Well, bearing in mind that your mileage may vary (and I received mine as a gift, though I was at the point where I was ready to buy), I think it primarily comes down to three things.

1. It acts as a "receptionist," if you will, for your iPhone. By this I mean it both moves notifications to your wrist and really (seriously) helps you discern more efficiently what's important and what isn't. For those of you who didn't have a receptionist at your office, he or she would screen phone calls, sort mail and appointments (important versus not important), remind you of tasks and deadlines, screen visitors and other interruptions, give you needed information, and generally make your day easier in dozens of ways, some of which you weren't even fully aware of or didn't fully appreciate.

This isn't just about Siri, though you will use it much, much more when you have a Watch. It's about being able to pare down the notifications to the most important ones (this is key), and quickly peruse them to determine if you need to do something now or later. The pre-set replies to texts and emails are a godsend, and make simple acknowledgements incredibly quick. If they're not enough, you can dictate a personal response -- it's very good at that. The net effect of this is that you don't have to take your iPhone out very often over the course of a day, which may seem odd at first considering what you paid for the thing, but it's actually quite nice. A quick glance or a quick dismissing of an incoming message or phone call takes less than a second, compared to fishing your phone out, looking to see what is making it make noise, and then dismissing it. Taps beat tones every time, and are so much more elegant.

2. The Apple Watch is a powerfully motivating fitness device. Whoever came up with the activity rings idea deserves a raise, it is nothing short of brilliant. A lot of people are just OCD enough that they MUST complete those rings every day. I'm not one of them, but I do now stand, move, and exercise more than I did, because I like seeing the progress, getting the reward (a little update or congratulatory message), and because it is on my wrist all the time, I'm aware of some of the choices I make (elevator or stairs?) and such. I find the measurements of steps and heartbeat very accurate (unlike a cheapie fitness band I tried), the sports band works well even when I get sweaty (and survives the showers), and I'm now looking for a gym so I can try out the workout-measuring app.

I'm one of those people who needs a reason (beyond the conceptual health reasons) to exercise regularly, and for me it turns out that knowing it is being *recorded and measured* is a big motivator. YMMV, but it has already made a modest difference in my health and a big difference in my willingness to do more exercise. This alone would be nearly enough to justify the cost (fitness bands that just count steps and such didn't really do it for me, again they might be fine for others), but when added into what else the Watch can do, this thing looks like a smarter investment (in myself more than anything) every day.

3. Nifty extras. Call me immature, but I like the "**** Tracy effect" of dictating a message or taking a call (without a BT headset, though you can use one) on the Watch. I'm excited to try out Apple Pay. I love feeling the tap on my wrist when I'm supposed to turn left -- and the different sort of tap that tells me when to turn right when driving to Siri's directions (don't have to interrupt the music now!). I like Glancing at stocks, weather, calendar (some of these are on the watch face itself, including my activity progress). I'm impressed at what Siri can do these days. I can see my dinner reservations, my airline boarding pass, what bands are coming to town, when my Uber ride is coming, dictate notes in Evernote, and control Keynote presentations tying up my hands holding/using the iPhone. Sure, none of these things by themselves justify the price tag -- but if you take advantage of the other two main things its good for, it beats the heck out of a cheaper fitness band (or lesser watch, I might add).

One more thing:

4. Live more in the moment. As I mentioned, I use my iPhone a lot. Less for phone calls and more for a mini-computer for when I'm away from my desk, which is as often as possible these days. Because the Watch works as a good receptionist, and keeps my iPhone in my pocket more often, I find my face isn't buried in the thing when I'm out walking or temporarily idle the way it used to be. I don't think I was as bad as some of the younger pedestrians I see around these days that walk like zombies looking at their smartphones, but I do admit I would text while crossing the street -- which is pretty bad. I would put my iPhone on the table at restaurants, or use it while waiting for the food -- sometimes ignoring my companion (who was often doing the same thing).

Now I watch where I'm going all the time, not just in periodic glances upward just in time to avoid walking into someone. Now I talk to my companions at dinner. Now I pay attention at meetings. I wasn't one of those who tries to text and drive, thank heavens, but I was guilty of looking too much at the iPhone when getting directions while driving. Taps have replaced that, so I can keep my eyes more on the road.

And this is watchOS 1. WatchOS 2 is coming out next month and promises a host of improvements. I flat didn't think I would like this thing as much as I do. Except for motivational fitness, it's probably not a life-changer, and thanks to the crappy exchange rate I'm hesitant to recommend one to my Canadian friends who don't need something specific from it (like the list above), but in hindsight do I think it was worth $350US? It's a little extravagant, but I think with watchOS 2 I'll be able to say yes with no caveats.

chscag
09-01-2015, 02:48 AM
Nice review chas. Comprehensive and detailed. The watch isn't for everyone, glad to hear you're enjoying your new "toy". :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

chas_m
09-01-2015, 03:34 AM
Of course it is, after all it's "Apple Pay" so it must be the absolute most secure pay system in the world. O:)

So you didn't bother to actually read any of the numerous links I provided?

[Ive deleted the rest of this post on the off chance that I've misinterpreted Charlie's comment, and hope he will educate himself on why Apple Pay and some other mobile payment systems are, in fact, much more secure than card-based systems. It's not my opinion, it's a well-established fact.]

chscag
09-02-2015, 03:28 AM
So you didn't bother to actually read any of the numerous links I provided?

Actually I did read them. Sorry, but I'm still not convinced enough to use Apple Pay. (I would have replied sooner but we were having data base problems which prevented me from replying. All fixed now.)

chas_m
09-02-2015, 04:31 AM
Yes, apologies for the duplicate post above; I'd delete the spare if I could.

I'm not trying to convince you that you must use Apple Pay, that's entirely your choice. But implying that its not secure is simply incorrect -- it's more secure than either the magstripe cards or the chip-and-PIN cards used widely outside the US. In addition to the fingerprint identifier, Apple Pay (and as far as I know Google Wallet and Android Pay) doesn't store the full number of the card, encrypts everything that is transmitted, limits transmissions to the issuing bank, tokenizes all personal info (and even the approval from the bank) so as to make even intercepted transmissions useless, and (at least in the case of Apple Pay) deliberately prevents the merchant or Apple from having any information about the transaction. This is far more security than banks provide currently for other systems, and indeed is precisely the reason why Apple Pay has been slow to catch on with merchants: it's too privacy-respecting for them.

IWT
09-02-2015, 05:18 AM
Chas; a very neat epistle if I may say so. And this comes from someone who has chosen (for the foreseeable future) not to buy an Apple Watch.

But the following quotes from your post chime in with exactly what makes me cross with the army of iPhone users and if their behaviour was altered for the better, as you say yours has been, then I would wholeheartedly endorse the purchase of the watch for them, at least.

I find my face isn't buried in the thing when I'm out walking

the younger pedestrians I see around these days that walk like zombies looking at their smartphones

I do admit I would text while crossing the street

I would put my iPhone on the table at restaurants, or use it while waiting for the food -- sometimes ignoring my companion (who was often doing the same thing).

Good luck with your new life and new image!

Ian

dbm
09-02-2015, 05:17 PM
I'm 10 weeks in to owning my watch, and I have found the health tracking extremely motivating. I will freely admit that I am a (physically) lazy person. I really don't enjoy exercise. But apparently I do like completing circles...

Even to the point that, when my wife and I went away for last weekend and we got to bed time I still had about 25 calories to complete. I asked her not to laugh as I marched on the spot for 10 minutes to hit my target. She laughed. :)

IWT
09-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Brilliant example of understated British humour, dbm. Anything else would have taken you above target for the day.

Ian

AndyClift
09-08-2015, 04:26 AM
Here in Uk we have had Contactless Payment for a few years. Also in London the transport system started with its own contactless cards and now it accepts all cards. In fact it is the only way to pay on buses and tube trains. Cash is NOT accepted any more. That's the background.

Now the problem. I and many others have debit and credit cards that are all contactless plus a free travel pass for London public transport which is contactless (I am rather old). Stick all these in a wallet together and have wallet near a contactless terminal and any one of them could be paying. On London transport I need to keep my FREE card away from others or the terminal may pick the wrong card and take money. If I lose any of these cards the finder can use them almost anywhere as there is NO security on the cards, i.e. pin number.

Enter Apple Pay. When I use my watch to pay nothing can happen until I double press the button on my watch. I can keep the watch next to a terminal all day but no money is taken without me pressing the button. if I take my watch off my wrist or lose it then Apple Pay will not work without it going back on my wrist and entering my pin. If I use my phone to pay nothing happens without my finger on the button and if I lose it the finder's finger will not work. I used to keep my free transport pass in my phone case and just flash the case in front of the terminal on the buses. I forgot about Apple Pay and flashed my pass as usual but the terminal would not accept it. Then I realised that the terminal had picked up my phone and not the pass but could not proceed without my finger. That would not have happened with a contactless card. It would just have taken the money.

I am not stupid enough to believe that Apple Pay offers absolute security. When UK introduced "Chip and Pin" cards that required a pin number we were told that it was the end of card fraud. For a while fraud dropped but then the criminals found ways around it and my cards have been cloned twice. Now we have Apple Pay and I guess that at some time the criminals will manage to break the security but for now it is a very secure and (with the watch particularly) a very quick, safe and convenient way to pay.

I love it.

IWT
09-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Andy

Excellent points, well made. I use special "electronic blocking" cards in my wallet to prevent accidental contactless payment. I can't think of a better word for these, but they are the same size & thickness as a normal card and work by preventing any of my cards from being accessed, by blocking signal access. Where I live now, I don't have any of your London problems I'm glad to say.

Ian

lclev
09-08-2015, 09:50 AM
I find Andy's post very interesting as it is a "foreign" concept to me. ;) We are still debating the need for a bus in our largest town and taxis are a non-existent. We definitely move at a slower pace here.

Living in rural America, contactless payment is slowly creeping in. My Capital One credit card is attached to Apple Pay but my local bank debit card does not offer contactless anything. About two years ago the one server that runs their debit card charges crashed and everyone's card's were declined!

I do like the Apple Pay concept but even though I have it set up, I have yet to use it. But, I think I will invest in RFID blocking sleeves for my credit cards (all two of them.) It is a cheap investment and occasionally I take a trip to the "big" city and you never know who you will run into in the "out world." :Cool:

Lisa

chscag
09-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Very interesting and informative post by Andy. It goes to show how "far behind" we are here in the US with contactless pay or for that matter chip embedded cards. Maybe Apple Pay will be the way to go and be secure for awhile, but like Andy stated above it may just be a matter of time before the hackers learn how to get around the security it offers. For now, I will forgo using Apple Pay.

chas_m
09-08-2015, 08:32 PM
While nobody can ever rule out the possibility of a problem with Apple Pay (particularly on the bank end of things), the system itself is so much more secure than any other system in use that the possibility of a problem originating with Apple Pay itself is about as likely as a sudden outbreak of actual viruses for OS X. Among other features that posters here may not be fully aware of:

1. Your credit card number is not stored on the device. Even if you lost the iPhone, even if someone were to crack the secure enclave, they cannot obtain your CC number, since it simply isn't there.
2. The entire system relies on your fingerprint. Again, not impossible to get around, but ... come on, how realistic is this? It's certainly more secure than your cards, which anyone can steal or copy easily.
3. There's a limit on how much can be spent using Apple Pay. Currently in the UK it's £20, it varies in the US but it is likely something south of $100.
4. The entire transaction -- every single part of it -- is encrypted. This is far more than you can say for your credit or debit card transaction now.
5. A token -- not any usable numbers -- is sent to the bank for verification. Even if this were both intercepted and unencrypted, it would still be useless information, since each token is randomized, and expired with every session.
6. The hardware security of the secure enclave is far stronger than any software encryption and needless to say far more secure than the printed numbers and magnetic information on your cards.

In short, Apple Pay security is not something you should be worried about (and I would expect this applies to Google Wallet, or Android Pay, or even Samsung Pay) ... at least not in comparison to the security of whatever you're using now.

RustProofCorn
09-09-2015, 02:02 AM
Even if Apple Pay is secure its a PITA to use. I tried to use it and like it... I really did.. However for me until its more of a standard trying to find out the companies that do and don't have it is way to cumbersome. Good ole 10 bucks in the sock or debit is good enough for me.

IWT
09-09-2015, 05:03 AM
I agree with all that Chas has said regarding security - and incidentally, since September 1st, the limit in the UK has gone up to £30. As Andy has stated in his comprehensive review, contactless cards are in wide usage in the UK and have been for several years, necessitating additional protective actions by consumers to prevent unintended transactions being debited from their card. As I said above, I use electronic blocking cards in my wallet to forestall this. So Apple Pay, whether by iPhone or Apple Watch, has huge advantages particularly in a large city environment.

But there are frustrations for sure and these have little or nothing to do with Apple, but with the infrastructure, or lack of it, in the smaller cities, towns and, of course, villages. I sympathise with rpc #165; it is often easier and quicker to pay in cash or use your chip-and-pin card in the conventional way than struggle to determine, yet again, from an uninterested shop assistant whether they do or do not offer Apple Pay.

But all this set to change and Apple Pay will become standard procedure in the near future. When established more widely in my area, I shall use it via my iPhone as I don't intend to buy the Watch. It would be great, for example, in petrol (gas) stations as you can get a reasonable fill up of petrol (gas) for £30. A lot more in the US, I guess, as it's so much cheaper there.

Ian

dbm
09-09-2015, 10:05 AM
It would be great, for example, in petrol (gas) stations as you can get a reasonable fill up of petrol (gas) for £30. A lot more in the US, I guess, as it's so much cheaper there.

Ian

Shell has just implemented a scheme where you can pay for petrol using their app and a QR code on the pump - this is pretty futuristic stuff! The system even automatically authorises the pump to start delivering.

chas_m
09-10-2015, 11:28 PM
An app and a QR code?? How ... quaint.

Paying for stuff with my Apple Watch, now that's futuristic. I can even do this up here in Canada, since I have a US-based card I can use. Most merchants around here have contactless terminals, so I just touch the lower button on the Watch twice, and turn it to face the terminal, and literally less than a second later I have paid. It works just like contactless cards in terms of the time it takes, but of course you don't have to fish around for the card.

This is, to put mildly, considerably faster than pulling out the wallet, getting the correct card out, sticking it in the machine, waiting, putting in the PIN code, waiting for approval, put the card away, sign the form, and wait for my receipt. Or even using the "chipless" US card that I now have on my Watch, for that matter. You don't even need to pull out the iPhone, or hold the Touch ID!

Going broke spending money has never been so cool! :)

Nighthawk4
09-11-2015, 05:28 AM
Only tried once so far with the Watch. However, it is great using the iPhone for payments.

Each morning in Costa Coffee, I use the Costa App for the points, switch to the ApplePay App and pay for it - all with the the iPhone and no need to search for my wallet.

Also, next week we get WatchOS2 - looks good in theory :)

dbm
09-11-2015, 08:58 AM
An app and a QR code?? How ... quaint.

Paying for stuff with my Apple Watch, now that's futuristic.

We have Chip & PIN EFTPOS at many petrol stations here in the UK. Sometimes it is your only way to pay outside of core hours. But I can't see them moving to Contactless EFTPOS unless there is a massive adoption of ApplePay or similar technologies since most Contactless payments are limited to £30, which is woefully insufficient for filling your car with petrol or diesel.

So QR codes for EFTPOS including pump authorisation (i.e. fully automated) is as good as it will get for a long time in that space.

For other applications I agree that ApplePay is way ahead.

chas_m
09-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Yes, I meant the "quaint" remark as a smiley, you're completely right that it's still better than nothing, and being in the UK you do have that ridiculously low limit. Hopefully that will get raised to something better soon as banks become convinced of the security level.

"Rajbir1994 "
09-11-2015, 11:37 PM
I am still on my old iPhone 5. Don't think to upgrade it anyway. Happy to use it.

chas_m
09-12-2015, 02:42 AM
The whole iPhone 5 family (yes, including the iPhone 5c) are just great smartphones in my opinion. Yes, the iPhone 6 is better in lots of ways, but ... some people don't need huge screens (that's what an iPad is for, or a notebook), some people find the iPhone 6 actually TOO thin (this is my wife's chief concern, as well!) and more prone to being dropped, it definitely feels more "slippery" to me, and of course while "bendgate" was a load of old toot, I think scientific tests have established that yes, the iPhone 6 does bend a bit more easily than the iPhone 5 class (but no more easily than similarly thin Android phones). So I'm delighted that they will keep the iPhone 5s around for at least another year.

lclev
09-12-2015, 10:06 AM
My husband has the iPhone 5c - his first smartphone ever. It took me getting fed up with his flip phones always dropping calls to get him on one. He loves it. It is the perfect size for him to slip it into his shirt or pants pocket and it never drops a call. So he will probably have it until it dies of natural causes.

And then there is me. My last phone was a Note II. The iPhone 6+ is about the same size and weighs less. I like the larger size. I can, in a pinch, see the screen without my glasses.

I do believe Apple needs to keep the size options. I just hope they don't get the smaller size too big. With a protective case, I think it still needs to slip in a pocket easily. After all the primary purpose of it is to be a phone for calls. Today's phone has become an entertainment system and sadly that is not always a good thing.

Lisa

dbm
09-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Yes, I meant the "quaint" remark as a smiley

I know, and took it that way :)

Re the thinness of phones I think it is worth factoring in the cases, too. My 6 with an Apple case is comparable to a naked 5 and well protected to boot.

dbm
09-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Just ordered a 6S as I was due an upgrade. The new camera tech looks pretty sweet, although I'm not convinced about the Live pictures..

Rod Sprague
09-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Lisa I'm with you. As usual I'm a little behind the times I bought the 5S just as the 6+ was released and currently I'm dictating this thread because I decided to give it another try. I realise it's been around for a while but I sort of gave up on it in Mavericks because it simply didn't work very well. I recently picked up Chas_M on a typo which suggested that he was using dictation. Funny how you forget things are even there sometimes. Sure enough he was using dictation so I was motivated to give it ago again and this is the result. Pretty good really. Perhaps I will persevere a little longer with it this time.

lclev
09-13-2015, 10:54 AM
I use dictation all the time on my watch. I never think of it when I have my phone. But when a text comes in, I just hit the microphone icon and talk away. I have had dictation fail if I am in a low service area but, for the most part it is very reliable and accurate.

I am going to have to rely on it a lot after Sept. 30th. I will be having hand surgery - arthritic joint repair and carpal tunnel repair. So I will see how well I can get along with using dictation. One handed typing is not that easy.

Lisa

chas_m
09-14-2015, 04:22 AM
Sorry to hear about the surgery, hope it goes well and you're on the mend soon! Yes, I use dictation on my Apple Watch now too, and am generally pleased with how good/useful it is.

AndyClift
09-14-2015, 05:12 AM
Am I wrong in thinking this thread is titled Apple Watch. It seems to have become a 5 and 6 comparison.

Rod Sprague
09-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Ha, yes we seem to have wandered off the topic a little but sometimes it's the only time to mention something new.

Nighthawk4
09-14-2015, 10:38 AM
I use dictation all the time on my watch. I never think of it when I have my phone. But when a text comes in, I just hit the microphone icon and talk away. I have had dictation fail if I am in a low service area but, for the most part it is very reliable and accurate.

I am going to have to rely on it a lot after Sept. 30th. I will be having hand surgery - arthritic joint repair and carpal tunnel repair. So I will see how well I can get along with using dictation. One handed typing is not that easy.

Lisa

Good luck Lisa :)

lclev
09-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Good luck Lisa :)

Thanks!

Lisa

lclev
09-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the surgery, hope it goes well and you're on the mend soon! Yes, I use dictation on my Apple Watch now too, and am generally pleased with how good/useful it is.

Thanks Chas_m!

Lisa

chas_m
09-16-2015, 01:54 AM
Today's tales of the Apple Watch: I was taking a break and laying down on the couch when I remembered I should call my doctor and make an appointment. My phone was on the charging stand in the bedroom, and I didn't want to go get it. Aha! "Hey Siri, call [doctor name]." A moment later "[Doctor Name]'s office, how can I help you?"

Made an appointment for October 20th at noon. Ended the call (this is all speaker and mic, no headset). "Hey Siri, make an appointment to see [doctor name] on October 20th at 12pm." "Okay," then a moment later the appointment comes up for me to confirm by tapping "OK."

Now that is better living through Apple! :)

lclev
09-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Wow chas_m, that gives a whole new definition to "couch potato" !!! ;)

Lisa

pm-r
09-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Next will be "Hey Siri, get me a beer and some chips." ;) Or is there already an app for that??? :o

dbm
09-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Girlfriend 1.0. Just be careful, upgrading to a Wife 1.0 reduces functionality, and it's difficult to switch to Girlfriend 1.1 after upgrading...

(I know, it's an old joke..)

lclev
09-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Girlfriend 1.0. Just be careful, upgrading to a Wife 1.0 reduces functionality, and it's difficult to switch to Girlfriend 1.1 after upgrading...

(I know, it's an old joke..)

YEs, that is sad..... I have seen the same joke with Boyfriend 1.0 and upgrading to husband 1.0.... :*

On another note - Apple has delayed the release of WatchOS 2 due to some bug that has cropped up.

Lisa

Nighthawk4
09-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Is there any news on what the bug is or when the OS is due please?

lclev
09-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Is there any news on what the bug is or when the OS is due please?

The only thing I am seeing is that it will be released "shortly." What ever that means in reference to time. I admit I am a tad disappointed. I rushed to get iOS 9 on my iPhone so I could upgrade to Watch OS2. However, I would rather is worked correctly and bug less than drive me crazy because it has bugs and fails to work correctly. :) I have become very dependent on the watch features - especially messages and calendar.

Lisa

dbm
09-18-2015, 05:05 PM
I agree on the upgrade nerves. I've always been cavalier about upgrading in the past but the thought of losing watch functionality is making me cautious.

I have a 6S on order. I may wait for that to arrive before upgrading.

chas_m
09-20-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm getting a surprising amount of use out of my Apple Watch in its present state, so I am perfectly content to wait for a version of watchOS 2 that doesn't have any showstopping bugs. I do look forward to the development of more advanced apps for the watch, however.

Nighthawk4
09-21-2015, 01:12 PM
I agree. Not risked iOS9 on my iPad Air2 or iPhone yet. I tried it on the older iPad Mini2 but no significant differences found yet, apart from the very small writing on the keyboard. It does not seem possible to increase the size of that, even with the Accessibility settings :(

Better to wait until the WatchOS works correctly.

Incidentally, I saw a report of a Security Update for iOS9 already, although not showing up yet on the iPad.

lclev
09-21-2015, 04:47 PM
So OS2 for the Watch has been released. For now I plan to let some others try it and I will see how they are doing. I probably won't wait long - like maybe until tonight? Deferred gratification has never been my strong suit....sigh. Anyway if any one else wants to play guinea pig and try it then post their results - please! I would love to know - and when I inevitable take the plunge I will post my findings too. ;)

Lisa

dbm
09-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Updating to watchOS2 as I type...

chas_m
09-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Most of what's "new" in watchOS 2 will depend on developers writing or rewriting apps to take advantage of it. You can, however, from the first minute, spot two notable changes:

1. New watch faces to play with, including custom photo faces.
2. You can reply to Mail messages on the Watch directly.

dbm
09-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Nightstand mode and Activation Lock are two important features core to the OS for me.

Upgrade finished with no issues seen so far!

chas_m
09-21-2015, 05:41 PM
Yes, good points. I have to wait for nighttime to try out the former. :)

dbm
09-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Maps wouldn't work immediately after the upgrade, but forcing a hard reset (pressing both buttons simultaneously) cured this after restarting.

MontyMo
09-21-2015, 06:36 PM
I keep getting and irritating error message:
"Unable to Check for Update" It also states I am not connected to the Internet....
I'm on on iOS 9.1 I wonder if that is the issue....
Monty

dbm
09-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Try a hard reset of your iPhone. That seems to shake out a lot of issues like this.

On a side note: the watch generated some picture faces for me automatically, both of my cat, which was cute if a little spooky!

lclev
09-21-2015, 08:05 PM
My update is stuck on verifying. It has taken longer to verify than to download and install. Not sure what to do. I will keep waiting for now.

Lisa

MontyMo
09-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks! The hard reset fixed it!!!
Monty

Try a hard reset of your iPhone. That seems to shake out a lot of issues like this.

On a side note: the watch generated some picture faces for me automatically, both of my cat, which was cute if a little spooky!

rosario1990
09-21-2015, 10:57 PM
Hey I am using 38MM for long time. Really enjoyable.

Rod Sprague
09-22-2015, 01:29 AM
Ah well, at least I'm not alone with upgrade problems. Seems very erratic though.

dbm
09-22-2015, 01:31 PM
My update is stuck on verifying. It has taken longer to verify than to download and install. Not sure what to do. I will keep waiting for now.

Lisa

Some people experiencing this problem over on MacRumours power cycled the watch when it hung on Verifying and that kicked it back into action. Which seemed brave to me, but it did work for (several of) them!

lclev
09-22-2015, 02:28 PM
After waiting over an hour for it to verify, I had to reset my iPhone and power cycle my watch. When I did it took off like a champ and finished the update. The really weird thing was initially after the update was done, my phone showed that the version of OS on the watch was 1.0.1 (and that it was up to date!) and the watch showed OS 2. I had to power off my phone again to show the correct OS version on the watch.

Lisa

lclev
09-22-2015, 08:26 PM
A new experience! I was watching the news and my watch responded to a "Hey Siri" from the TV (commercial). I felt the haptic tap and looked down to see it rapidly typing out what was being said on the TV.

So.... I have turned off the "Hey Siri" option for now. I did ask her what she thought she was doing! No explanation just silence. Reminded me of when one of the kids got in trouble.

Lisa

dbm
09-23-2015, 04:08 AM
That should only trigger if your screen had just activated on a raise. Pausing just a few seconds seems to cause the feature to go dormant again in my experience. And it's a one time thing. If you try it then abort, you can't use Hey Siri again until you lower and raise your wrist again as far as I can tell.

I think you were just very unlucky!

ETA: Just done some experimenting. I think this has changed with wOS 2.0. It's a lot more keen to listen than it used to be.

Nighthawk4
09-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Does the iPhone have to be iOS9 first?

My iPhone says the Watch is up to date at 1.0.1 :(

lclev
09-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Yes the iPhone has to have iOS 9 installed.

Lisa

chas_m
10-14-2015, 03:28 AM
I recommend visiting a store if you can. The sales people aren't pushy (though they are keen), and they can answer questions. The Watch they'll put on you runs a demo, but there are units you can play with more specifically, and trying on bands often leads to a few surprises (but mainly along the lines of "oh that's very nice -- sorry, HOW much?"). I knew exactly what I was going to get, but the time spent at the store did show me some other possibilities I may add to this Watch in the future in the way of bands I liked.

garypho
11-05-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm still deciding on whether to buy the watch... I love the new Iphone 6s it is soooo seamless and quick.

lclev
11-06-2015, 09:29 AM
If you can visit a store to try them out that is the best way to get an idea. I went to an Apple Store and tried several on before I bought the Sport Aluminum 42mm.

I love mine because of the services it provides. I can keep my iPhone on vibrate and my watch will notify me of a call by haptic taps - and a quiet ringing if I want it. I like text message notifications that I can quickly glance at to see if I need to respond immediately or wait. I use the Fantastical calendar which reminds me of appointments. And the turn by turn maps that tap your wrist when a route change is coming up is nice.

The watch does communicate with your iPhone using bluetooth so you must have them within 30ish feet of each other. Although I have found I don't need to carry my iPhone when I walk for exercise. When I am done they will sink the information and update the health app on my iPhone.

I have always worn a watch so this was not a big decision for me. But if you are someone who is use to constantly carrying your iPhone and use it to check the time or updates you might not like the adjustment to wearing it.

Lisa