100mbps still having problems with feedback

Reaction score
No one seems to be able to help me with this. The movies keep stopping and it looks like its a buffering issue but everything is running fine. I have 100 mbps download speed, I have reset the modem, reset my apple network adaptor, unplugged everything, plugged everything back in. No one seems to have any answer for me. Any one have any thoughts?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- What website are these "movies" coming from?
- How do you know that the website that the movies are coming from isn't the problem?
- How do you know that you are not having intermittent ISP issues (fast download speed one minute & slow the next minute)? Could be a local (outside your home)…signal or hardware issue.
- What "feedback" are you talking about?

* Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I should have been more clear:

- What website are these "movies" coming from? I have the Apple TV and the movies I am having issue with are from Netflix, HULU, purchased from iTunes, etc.
- How do you know that the website that the movies are coming from isn't the problem? I have spoken with Netflix, my cable provider & Hulu and there are no problems on their end when the connection is tested.
- How do you know that you are not having intermittent ISP issues (fast download speed one minute & slow the next minute)? Could be a local (outside your home)…signal or hardware issue. How would I test for that? I have currently been testing by doing a wifi internet connection test at moments of failure.
- What "feedback" are you talking about? The feedback is what I have been told from Apple, my cable provider, Netflix and Hulu.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How would I test for that? I have currently been testing by doing a wifi internet connection test at moments of failure.

Thanks for all the info.

You could try a website like "Speedtest.net". The problem with this sort of testing is…unless the problem lasts for at least 30-60 seconds (or more)…you may not get an accurate picture of things (if the internet speed is fluctuating rapidly).

I'm not saying that the internet signal strength into your home is the problem. I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Speedtest.net is what I have been using. I pull it up when the problem occurs, and its speed is always over 100mbps.

Its just odd, because Apple swears its not the network adaptor, Netflix says the same, cable company the same, etc.

Its just weird that I am having the issue but nothing seems to be the problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok…thanks again for the info. I'm going to ask some quick troubleshooting questions:

1. When was the last time you rebooted the computer?
2. How full is the computers storage (gigs free & gigs used)?
3. How much ram do you have?
4. How many apps do you usually have open at the same time?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Wait - so the problem is on the Apple TV, not on the Mac? But you have been testing download speeds only on the Mac, right?
Have you tried viewing a movie on your Mac, to be sure it is just the Apple TV that has the issue?

OP
M
Reaction score
I have taken the Apple TV to the genius bar and had them test it. Apple TV checks out A-Ok.

I have streamed the services via my tower, but its wired via ethernet so it changes the dynamic of the test a little bit.

When I do the speed test for the apple TV I always do it on a wireless laptop to emulate the connection giving me the problem. Now here is where it gets weirder. The Apple TV works better wireless than it did when I had it hooked up via ethernet.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
On top of doing a speed test, you need to do the packet loss test, i.e. the PingTest at speedtest.net. You will need to enable java to run that test in order to get results for the packet loss portion.

Just went round and round with this where the packet loss test was consistently indicating 58% to 72% loss via wifi and 90+% packet loss via ethernet while the speed test portion was still getting better speed than my plan.

My ISP showed no packet loss from their end to the modem. Finally had them come out to do a test here - with the tech saying there was nothing wrong but changed out their modem anyway. The new modem on the same test shows 0% packet loss and my intermittent connection problems I lived with for at least a couple of months have disappeared.

Reaction score
Hello!!!

Simple solution!!!

1. Very easy to do is the Apple TV Connected to Wireless.

2. Do you have a wireless n router.

3. If so you have a bottle neck which will stop all traffic on hulu netflix and other services

let me explain:

in order to stream without losing connectivity you have to be wired or you send to much data across the wireless channel and lose connection

OP
M
Reaction score
Reconnecting the ethernet cable was the first thing I tried. But unfortunately it made the connection slower. That one stumped the Apple service desk when I called them, because it should be the opposite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.