Networking help

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am in a bit of a pickle. I have an iMac, Mac book pro and Mac mini. I also have a WD my cloud EX4 which has all my files stored on it.

I am a graphic designer and go from computer to computer all the time. What I would like setup is the iMac and Mac book pro to have everything the same on both from when I go from computer to computer. The MacBook Pro gets taken off location so I will still need to be able to access the files when I am not on the network. It would be great if the fonts, documents, downloads and desktop are the same on both.

I could use the Mac mini to setup Mac mini server if I need too. It's currently not being used.

Does anyone have any idea of what would be the best setup for me to get this going?

I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am a graphic designer and go from computer to computer all the time. What I would like setup is the iMac and Mac book pro to have everything the same on both from when I go from computer to computer. The MacBook Pro gets taken off location so I will still need to be able to access the files when I am not on the network. It would be great if the fonts, documents, downloads and desktop are the same on both.

Having everything alike also means the same applications in addition to the fonts, documents, and desktop. Which means you just can't copy your user account from one machine to the other. Also, you can not use cloning software because of the different hardware between the iMac and MBP.

What I think you'll need to do is copy your user account from the iMac or MBP to the other machine and then also install the same applications on both machines. That probably will be OK but involves some work on your part. There might be other ways to do it, but for now that's what I can come up with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.