Can the Apple keyboard be opened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
I thought it might be advantageous to clean out any dirt/ dust that might have gotten in.
I have the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (full-size, thin, aluminum Model MB110LL).

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own that one and if you ever did get it apart it would never go back together so please do not try!! It's tightly glued together!

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
I own that one and if you ever did get it apart it would never go back together so please do not try!! It's tightly glued together!

Thanks Dennis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Dennis.

Just curious after Dennis' response, so checked iFixit - not much available but some interesting posts if you want to click the link. For myself, once the keyboard broke, I'd buy a new one - ;) Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Same advice as dtravis7 gave. The think Apple aluminum keyboard is not really meant to be disassembled & then reassembled. Sure…someone mentioned in the ifixit thread that they were able to use a hair dryer to facilitate things. If this were tried…I hope for the best..but expect the worst. And be ready to spend $49 for a new keyboard!;)

The best you can really do…is to pop-off the keys…and clean as best as possible.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was in the Navy Exchange at the Fort Worth Naval Base last week and they have a full line of everything Apple. They also had some substitute full sized wired keyboards with the numeric keypad and two USB ports made by iHome. Looked very nice and unless you were close up could not tell the difference between it and the real Apple wired keyboard. The Navy Exchange was selling them for $39 (no sales tax).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.