What do you do for music?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
Right now I just have a few albums on my partition. I want to find a solution where windows can seamlessly access the files on my mac partition.

I know this isn't possible with iTunes and it is a resource hog so I deleted it doesn't run well on Windows.

Just wondering if anyone found a way to set it up yet. Doesn't make sense to have the same files on two partitions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Right now I just have a few albums on my partition. I want to find a solution where windows can seamlessly access the files on my mac partition.

I know this isn't possible with iTunes and it is a resource hog so I deleted it doesn't run well on Windows.

Just wondering if anyone found a way to set it up yet. Doesn't make sense to have the same files on two partitions.

Hello - please provide some more information on your setup, i.e. are you also running Windows on the Mac computer, e.g. using Bootcamp or Parallels (my assumption) vs. also having a Windows computer? In addition, let us know about your home computer setup (assume you have a wireless router at least)?

For example, if you have two computers (and even more wireless devices), a networked media server (such as the one HERE would be an inexpensive solution). I'll just stop there for some clarification - Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running bootcamp. All of this is on one device.

The problem with running iTunes is that you can add music but it doesn't update.

The Windows media player in the metro app has potential because it checks the folder but it can't index the files in the osx partition I tried to add.

Thanks looking forward to configuring this so I don't have to mess with it.

Reaction score
there is another problem with windows and iTunes in windows vista microsoft decided to provide a security update to remove malware and spyware well because iTunes was not signed by a microsoft digital signature but a apple one instead windows vista considered iTunes a piece of malware and will start auto deleting albums this is why i tell people please use a copy of windows 7 or 8 on mac you will be better off

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No dude there is a way to do it, I just don't have a few days to devote to this.

I will post my solution.

You have programs that can access the Windows files, and you have programs that can't. And you ultimately can piggyback programs on the data of other programs and find an ideal solution, nobody here has done it yet.

One a side note why was my thread deleted? That was funny. I'm the guy who is good with this stuff and I can't make fun of Apple culture?

edit: your osx files windows os can read both file systems you can only do it from windows and run it on mac, but that works because of time machine

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK got your email don't know why deleted this is my response

iTunes sucks in Windows, I deleted it, the only reason why I run it is because of my iPhone. The architecture of the operating systems is completely different. I hate using iTunes on Windows I use the metro app.

On a sidenote there is a reason why protools, for example is industry standard, it runs better on mac, not just the coolness that apple used to have you believe, they seem to have moved towards ios devices with their marketing.

the iTunes library must be updated because it cannot be added in windows, so you are continually deleting and reinstalling iTunes (unless you know the program better).

There is a way to be completely synchronous and there are many options with the Microsoft app. Look I run Windows 8.1 almost entirely right now, so I have to run iTunes but there is a way to do it.

C

chas_m

I had HUGE difficulty in trying to interpret and work out what your question/problem even was, there's a sticky around here called "Writing a Quality Post" you should really have a look at.

I gather (kind of) that you want to have your iTunes Library available in both the Mac and Windows partitions of Bootcamp without duplication. If this wasn't on all one device, you could simply use Family Sharing in iTunes, but that won't work in this instance, so my suggestion would be to relocate the iTunes library to an external FAT-formatted drive or NAS drive and have both the Windows and Mac iTunes point to that library.

Another option would be iTunes Match, which is effectively the same idea (but way cheaper than buying an external or NAS). For $25/year you get a cloud library of 25,000 tunes (plus whatever you've bought from iTunes, those purchases don't count against the total) and ad-free iTunes Radio, accessible from any device where you can log into your iTunes account.

Hope that helps!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are thinking like an apple user. There is great potential and nobody has discovered it, which is maybe why I want to be the first, you know I have to be the best at everything I do.

OK so main reason I came here is to say yea maybe I got a big head or whatever.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and if you thought the apple thing you know was funny well I like the people here, and I like macintosh (and windows).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.