Facebook missing pictures

Reaction score
Here's a strange one. Generally I do e-mail and Facebook on an old Black Macbook running Ubuntu. When I want to do more complicated things, particularly with pictures, I have a Macbook pro with an SSD for speed and Ubuntu running under VMWare Fusion. The Mac OS gives me Photoshop Elements and IMAGEmini and browsers that are separated from the ones that I use for e-mail, Facebook and Twitter by the VM in the hope that this might provide more security.

Here's the problem. In recent days I have noticed that when logged on to Facebook using Firefox under Ubuntu/Fusion, pictures (loaded by self and others) disappear at random. Everything else works perfectly. When logged on using Firefox under native Ubuntu or Mac OS and no VM the problem goes away.

I'm not sure that there is an easy answer to this, but is interesting that Facebook reacts differently to Firefox running under Linux if it is running in a VM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know if you noticed, but this is a Mac OS related forum.

Try a Ubuntu/Fusion etc. forum group for your question/answer.

OP
John F
Reaction score
At the top of my screen as I look at it now, there is a line that says "Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac."

I took that to mean that since this is an issue involving the running of Linux on a Mac OS computer, that it would fit that description.

BTW VMWare Fusion allows other OSs to be run on Mac computers running Mac OS. Fusion only runs under Mac OS.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's OK, your post is on topic here. It sounds like your problem has to do with the way Firefox is running in an Ubuntu VM. I have never run Ubuntu in a VM since it was so easy to setup using a dual boot from Windows. And I always used FF. Nowadays FF is undergoing a lot of changes even in OS X so who knows what's going on with it.

OP
John F
Reaction score
Besides the (possibly illusory) feeling that I might have better security using the VM, I find that there are a few things that seem to go better with it. For example when I have prepared a video for upload to YouTube using iMovie (I have yet to find anything that runs better under Linux) I find that I get fewer dropped uploads under Linux (none that I can remember so far). I like not having to reboot and with VMWare Tools installed I can cut and paste between the two. I can also run browsers on both sides and know that they will have little or no interference with each other.

OP
John F
Reaction score
Some months on . . . . and after several upgrades of Firefox, the problem has gone away and not returned.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Some months on . . . . and after several upgrades of Firefox, the problem has gone away and not returned.

John. You seem to be the "King" of issues that mysteriously go away over time. First the video/graphics issue you posted about earlier today…and now missing Facebook pictures.

You should buy some lottery tickets. Seems like you're on a lucky streak!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.