disk can't be burned because device failed to calibrate the laser level of this media

Reaction score
Does anybody have an answer to my title? (Disk can't be burned because device failed to calibrate the laser level of this media) I have tried several things that I've found on the web. I tried the air, credit card wrapped in a soft cloth and a cd soaked in alcohol. I continue to get the same message. I did improve the actual acceptance and playing of a dvd, which I couldn't when I started all this. The DVD player would beep, boop and beep some more and then spit it out.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you tried both a CD and DVD in the drive? I've gotten that message before, particularly from Toast, and found later that the drive was failing. It may play/burn a CD and not a DVD or vice versa. If I recall correctly I think the CD and DVD are read by lasers of differing wavelengths allowing the possibility of working for one type of disc and not the other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.