A1316 Apple Cinema Display Surge Shock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with 3.33Ghz 6-core, and 16GB RAM
Hi folks... I have an A1316 Apple 27" Cinema Display connected to a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1. We recently had a power surge and the Display no longer responds in any way. Both the Pro and the Display were in the same APS Surge Protector and the Pro works fine... I am able to login to it remotely via laptop... but the Display does nothing, no response whatsoever. I've unplugged it, re-plugged it... nothing. It is no longer under AppleCare, so I have opened it but do not see any obvious signs of destruction. Interestingly, I did find a ball of solder that was loose and fell out, but cannot locate where it may have come from. I have opened the display before with success on replacing the All-In-One cable and the display has been full operational until now.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot and rectify the issue? I don't have the pin-outs on the PSB, etc.

Thanks, in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There are three possible problem areas here:

- The Mac Pro
- The Mac Pro video card
- The Cinema Display

If the computer is working fine…then we can cross the Mac Pro off the list. This leaves the video card & the 27" monitor.

What happens if you attach a different monitor to the Mac Pro? If a different (known working) monitor has the same problem…then it could be the video card.

If the known working 2nd monitor works fine…then the 27" display is the problem. Fixing a 27" monitor is not easy stuff…and very expensive.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry... I don't have an extra display to swap out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry... I don't have an extra display to swap out.

You got a Mac Pro and an 27" Apple Cinema display. Reach into those DEEP POCKETS…!;)

I see used $20 dollar display's on Craig's List all the time (perfect for testing with)!:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, my pockets have holes in 'em... mostly from the amount of money I've spent on this thing! ;) Thanks for the Craig's List suggestion... will def. look at picking another up as a second display.

As far as this one, I was thinking about the ball of solder that fell out and thought it was odd. I figured it was possible that it might have been knocked off of a joint somewhere from the power surge.... quality Apple product, I know, but it would explain why the Pro was working fine and the display is doing nothing. Sure enough, one of the coils on the backside of the Power Supply Board had a big gob of solder on it and the lead next to it looked as if it might have been missing one. So, took a crack at soldering a new gob on the lead, closed it up, and it cranked up!

...love it when a plan comes together, [chomping on a cigar] ...an A-Team reference, for those keeping track.

Cinema%20Display%20PSB.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure enough, one of the coils on the backside of the Power Supply Board had a big gob of solder on it and the lead next to it looked as if it might have been missing one. So, took a crack at soldering a new gob on the lead, closed it up, and it cranked up!

WOW...that's pretty darn lucky & awesome that you were able to fix it!!!:)

Power surges usually do damage that cannot be seen...or damage that cannot be repaired (without an expensive parts replacement).

Congrats again!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.