Recover through Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB
My friends at the Genius Bar have discovered that I have a fail hard drive on my 2009 era iMac. I have used an Iomega eGo Desktop Hard Drive as a backup through TimeMachine. Is there anything special I should know before attempting data recovery? Never done this before. Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the genius bar says your hard drive failed, what are they or you doing to remedy that? I would hope that they installed a new hard drive for you in the iMac and also loaded it with the latest version of Mavericks? Let us know that info before we advise you about how to recover using Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
All you need to do after installing the replacement hard drive is to select Restore from Time Machine backup when your setting up the computer after replacing the drive. The computer will take care of the rest.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB
Thanks. A new Hard Drive is being installed - 3 days. I will check on the Maverick version but cannot imagine it being anything but the latest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
All you need to do after installing the replacement hard drive is to select Restore from Time Machine backup when your setting up the computer after replacing the drive. The computer will take care of the rest.

Hmmm...??? But not knowing what OS X version was being used, you make it seem so easy. But maybe the HD replacers will do the reinstall from the TM backup for him.

Otherwise it can be a bit more involved especially without a Recovery Partition on the new drive, or even an install disk, unless some OS X and some TM things have changed lately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.