Weird hard drive problem w parallels

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's a difference between the virtual HD size and your actual HD size. In Parallels, you can limit how large the virtual disk gets. If you go to the VM configuration > Hardware > Hard Disk > Edit..., you can modify this value.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer but i only have these options under that section and i tried to expand it but it doesn't affect the 8gb part..
I actually have resize file system checked must have missclicked during the screen shot

http://i.imgur.com/JUn5mtv.jpg

Reaction score
I just took a look at my Windows 8.1 Parallel setup. Under General - Configurations my hard drive space does not matches the space used by Windows and apps or the allotted hard drive space.

The size I have matches more closely to the actual virtual file of windows. A PVM file. I had 14 gb that were reclaimable. I reclaimed them and checked the PVM file size with the General - Configurations size, both reduced by 14gb.

Looks like the hard drive space you are asking about is the size of the compressed data file on the mac system that parallels uses to run the virtual os.

OP
E
Reaction score
I just took a look at my Windows 8.1 Parallel setup. Under General - Configurations my hard drive space does not matches the space used by Windows and apps or the allotted hard drive space.

The size I have matches more closely to the actual virtual file of windows. A PVM file. I had 14 gb that were reclaimable. I reclaimed them and checked the PVM file size with the General - Configurations size, both reduced by 14gb.

Looks like the hard drive space you are asking about is the size of the compressed data file on the mac system that parallels uses to run the virtual os.

Yes it is close to the size of that file for me too.. PVM file is 9gb and parallels shows 8.7gb.

So does that means everything is ok ? Because I know that it shows the same size of the desired hdd on there for almost everyone :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.