iPad Air - Using Bluetooth Key Board

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
I have an iPad Air. I also have a relatively new iMac with a wireless Apple Keyboard. I tried to use my iMac wireless keyboard with my iPad but I can't get it to work. I have "bluetooth" turned on in the iPad settings and it shows the device constantly searching for any bluetooth device but it never "finds" this keyboard. Can I use the iMac keyboard with my iPad Air? Thanks, Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have an iPad Air. I also have a relatively new iMac with a wireless Apple Keyboard. I tried to use my iMac wireless keyboard with my iPad but I can't get it to work. I have "bluetooth" turned on in the iPad settings and it shows the device constantly searching for any bluetooth device but it never "finds" this keyboard. Can I use the iMac keyboard with my iPad Air? Thanks, Bill

Yes you can. Unless the keyboard is already paired to the iMac, it would seem. See this discussion:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5733660

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Thanks! I am printing wirelessly again!

Lifeisabeach,
Thanks for the links on how to set up an Apple wireless keyboard to work with my iPad Air.
Life-is-a-beach if you live in Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, which we both do!

I want to get a wireless keyboard to keep paired with my iPad. I am an old guy and I just don't like to type anything other than very brief content with the iPad on screen keyboard.

I saw Costco had a wireless Logitec keyboard for $50. (with the Costco rebate) and on the other end of the price spectrum the ClamCase (which is a little more than a keyboard but gets very good reviews) will have an iPad Air model out in September but with coupon/shipping it will cost $150. I am considering just getting another Apple wireless keyboard which will cost me, $69., but will pair well with the iPad Air and is a good keyboard with good tactile feel in the keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Lifeisabeach,
Thanks for the links on how to set up an Apple wireless keyboard to work with my iPad Air.
Life-is-a-beach if you live in Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, which we both do!

I'm not too far from Wrightsville Beach. I hit it semi-regularly to walk the Loop with one or more of my dogs. And shop at the Lighthouse. :Cool:

I want to get a wireless keyboard to keep paired with my iPad. I am an old guy and I just don't like to type anything other than very brief content with the iPad on screen keyboard.

I feel your pain. The on-screen keyboard is adequate for light typing, but I'd go crazy trying to do more. Dictating sometimes works better. Sometimes.

I saw Costco had a wireless Logitec keyboard for $50. (with the Costco rebate) and on the other end of the price spectrum the ClamCase (which is a little more than a keyboard but gets very good reviews) will have an iPad Air model out in September but with coupon/shipping it will cost $150. I am considering just getting another Apple wireless keyboard which will cost me, $69., but will pair well with the iPad Air and is a good keyboard with good tactile feel in the keys.

My wife had a keyboard case for a while, and was quite fond of it. I don't recall why she decided to sell it though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.