Yosemite Beta—Having trouble with dual boot with linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I recently installed the Yosemite beta on my Macbook Pro. I dual boot OS X and Ubuntu with a partitioned hard drive using rEFIt. But after installing Yosemite, rEFIt disappeared and with it, my access to my Ubuntu partition. Now, I don't have any critical files on the linux side of things, so I'm okay with just living in Yosemite if I need to, but I'd like to get the old functionality back.

I've tried various solutions and this is as far as I got so far:

I installed rEFInd following the instructions for a manual installation in OS X, as found here: The rEFInd Boot Manager: Installing rEFInd
This included going the route of making a directory under /Volumes/esp and mounting that directory.
I then moved all the rEFInd files into /Volumes/esp and blessed them as the new boot.
After restarting, I booted into rEFInd, but it only recognized my Ubuntu EFI partition and not my OS X partition.
I chose the option to recover Mac OS X that rEFInd gave me, since I wanted to first make sure I could boot back into OS X.
This took me to the restore/recover OS X utility.
I chose to just restart.
Restarted back into Yosemite.
Everything's fine, but now I've lost the ability to boot into rEFInd again without repeating the installation. The directory that I mounted in /Volumes is gone.

So I'm wondering if this is a normal behavior with regards to wiping /Volumes after a reboot or if it's a Yosemite quirk/bug. I've never really had any reason to go exploring /Volumes before so I'm not sure what its normal behavior is. I suppose what I really want to know is if there's a way that I can get a more stable installation of rEFInd that doesn't require me to mount it and then bless it each time I want to boot into my linux partition. If that's not viable, would just creating a shell script that does the mounting and blessing for me be a better option? And any ideas as to why rEFInd identified my Ubuntu partition but not my main OS X partition? Thanks.

Some other notes:

rEFIt was totally disabled, which led me to switch to rEFInd. I tried reinstalling rEFIt and it failed. rEFInd also failed to work unless I mounted /Volumes/esp and then blessed it. Just using rEFInd's install.sh did nothing. Holding the option key on startup also doesn't produce any difference.

Reaction score
the reason for this is simple refit was designed for mavericks not yosemite and by installing yosemite you removed the bootefi off of the hard drive and replaced it with the stock apple one so your machine will no longer boot mac os x time to reinstall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This is one reason why you should not use Yosemite as your main operating system. On a partition or external drive only until the official release, and then wait to OS X.10.2 maybe.

uji

Reaction score
Ok so I did some research online for you, and I found that you can re-enable refit like this:

Go to terminal and type in these two lines, one after the other.

cd /efi/refit
./enable.sh

I tested this in Yosemite beta 5 and refit became re-enabled. Hopefully this will help you get back in to Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:

uji

Reaction score
That was my first post, which I specifically signed up for because I was annoyed by the first two replies in this thread and actually wanted to help the OP. I mentioned that people should give constructive, helpful feedback. My feedback has been edited out by a moderator. This will be my last post on this forum.

Last edited:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That was my first post, which I specifically signed up for because I was annoyed by the first two replies in this thread and actually wanted to help the OP. I mentioned that people should give constructive, helpful feedback. My feedback has been edited out by a moderator. This will be my last post on this forum.

Correction, your impolite and unnecessary remarks were edited out by an administrator. And as far as your last post... well.... please don't let the door hit you in the derriere on the way out.

And with that, we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.