• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Interference after chemotherapy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook air, pro ipad air
A strange request but who knows someone may have an answer. I have just finished a course of chemo. The main after effects are in the hands. I use have to wear gloves for just about everything. Almost anything, especially metallic is painful to touch (without gloves)

I am guessing static has something to do with this as I moved a coke can without touching it ! I can run my hand over the mouse which then tends to operate on it's own. I have been informed that this will dissipate in time but no one will hazard a guess when. I am going for the ipad gloves which hopefully will help with the ipad, maybe this will help. As I have mentioned this is a way of question but who knows ? just maybe someone else has experienced this..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Madinmex - I'm a retired physician (academic radiologist) and am just wondering since you list Mexico as your location - what disease did you have the chemo for and what were you given?

Without these details, it would be impossible to respond to your questions; now, you may not want to reveal these facts about your situation (and I understand completely), so up to you to provide some further information. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for answering Redave..

Sorry I must ammend my address. I am now in Spain.

No problem with the reason for chemo. I was rushed in with a rupture in the sigmoid colon. Apart from the piece removed (I'm not very medical ;D ) which was diagnosed as cancerous further intensive exams showed other areas clear. However the oncologist thought it wise to undergo a preventative course of chemo. I completed 9/12 which he thought was sufficient.

The main side effects were not to touch anything that was metalic (or just basically cold)

At this stage I started to get odd problems with the computer (s) I have the macbook pro, macbook air and the ipad air. Pages would change, URL's would alter, even browsers would change. I took it to the main apple store who had no problems. BTW I use a wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm sure that the reason is chemo but until that expires I'm stuck with a painful experience hence the question regarding gloves (or whatever)

I am looking into the poss. of the dragon software but not sure how dragon and mac get on with each other. Wouldn't be to bad if the oncologist could give an approx. date for this to clear the system but he is not going to commit himself. As for the contents of the chemo I have no info and do not see him again until Sept. Again many thanks for your replying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for answering Redave..

Sorry I must ammend my address. I am now in Spain.

No problem with the reason for chemo. I was rushed in with a rupture in the sigmoid colon. Apart from the piece removed (I'm not very medical ;D ) which was diagnosed as cancerous further intensive exams showed other areas clear. However the oncologist thought it wise to undergo a preventative course of chemo. I completed 9/12 which he thought was sufficient.

The main side effects were not to touch anything that was metalic (or just basically cold).............

As for the contents of the chemo I have no info and do not see him again until Sept. Again many thanks for your replying.

Hi again - thanks for the additional information and sorry about your medical problem - hope that all goes well.

Usually, 5-FU (fluorouracil) is the chemotherapy drug used for colon cancer along w/ other supplements - there can be many side effects but the one w/ your touch is not usual, so you likely received a number of different drugs w/ one or more being the cause.

Your oncologist would be the best person to advise you or if you knew the exact names of the medications used, there is plenty of information of the web that might help. Nearly all of these chemo effects do 'wear off' but might take a while, so I cannot be of much help. Good luck - Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I see from a previous post that you are somewhat interested in speech recognition as one solution. You might find this helpful. Mavericks Dictation vs. Dragon Dictate: How good is OS X's built-in tool? | Macworld

I'm using the current version of Dictate for Mac and like it. I would use it more often but the talking back to the computer drives my wife nuts when we are both in the computer room. They obviously would prefer that you purchase an expensive headset but I've gotten pretty good results with cheaper headsets.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to both posters for your replies. The lack of info I received from the oncologist was alarmingly small. He did mention that there would be a tingling of the fingers !! a huge understatement. One other serious understatement was the dangers of the "cold " touch, I drank a cold cup of water after I had my first chemo and my throat completely closed, twas quite frightening :p Anyway I digress. I will try to get some more info on the next appointment.

Thanks slydude, I have a feeling I shall get the DD :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's too bad that in 2014 (when there's so much more synergy between Mac & Windows software than there used to be in years past)...that the Mac version of Dragon Dictate is so much $$$ more than Dragon software for Windows!!!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.