Advice on second hand MacBook please

Reaction score
Hi, Looking for advice please: My 11 yr old is looking for a laptop and has found a second hand 2009 MacBook 13 inch that runs on OS X leopard. Do you think this will be enough for him to run minecraft and similar games, general Microsoft word, excel, ppt and internet. It's offered at £150 which seems ok but I've no idea what I should be looking for re hard drive space and RAM, any suggestions or watch outs for used Macs?
Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Yes it will, as these posts in Minecraft forums show. Tell him not to have it on his lap, use on a table or desk only as it will get hot. That MacBook can handle 6GB of memory so it will pay to increase to that from whatever it has. Be aware if Office comes on the MacBook, without the original discs and activation code it is pirated. With a five year old computer, you pays your money and takes your chances alas.

MAC COMPUTERS - Computers & Technology - Off Topic - Minecraft Forum - Minecraft Forum

C

chas_m

Due to security concerns I would not put any machine running Leopard or older on the Internet anymore. I strongly suggest that you upgrade the machine to *at least* Snow Leopard (10.6.8), which you can obtain from Apple for $20 on DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.