PDA

View Full Version : Mac Forums Sunday Chat

Pages : [1] 2 3

vansmith
09-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Hello everyone!

Slydude and I will be hosting a live broadcast on YouTube tonight and we're inviting everyone to come and watch! We'll be discussing the new iPhones, the upcoming release of iOS and anything else that crops up.

We encourage everyone to come watch and post questions or comments in this thread. If you pose a question here or a comment, we'll do what we can to address it in the discussion.

Where: http://youtu.be/_T3wNgJg6sQ
Time: 8PM EST, 5PM PST, 1AM in the UK and early Monday morning for our Aussie members.

EDIT: We're going to be delayed a few minutes here. Bear with us.

EDIT 2: We're live!

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Apple did for sure deliberately lock out the iPad 1 from the newer IOS. I can prove that the CPU in the 3gs is way less fast than the 1st ipad.

my 3gs runs the latest iOS fast and smooth so there is no excuse.

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Hhahahhahaha! Van ate his Imperial margarine and has on a crown! :D

CanuckBoater
09-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Apple did for sure deliberately lock out the iPad 1 from the newer IOS. I can prove that the CPU in the 3gs is way less fast than the 1st ipad.

Not sure how what this has to do with the live broadcast, but as an Ipad 1 owner who feels that 'support' for the product ended way to soon, and interested in what you mean.

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Bryan, look at the specs on Apple or any other site for the 3gs cpu and the iPad1. You will see the ipads is 1Ghz and the 3gs in the MHZ.

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Also the new Nexus 7 2013 model is a great tablet as long as 7" is enough. Anand of anandtech praised it and one of my close friends just purchased one and loves it. I love IOS but feel the iPad Mini is overpriced for the old hardware it has..

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I have heard horror stories Van about TMobile and coverage so your experience does not shock me in th e least.

chscag
09-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Hey Dennis, are you tuned in to Van and Sly? The reception is pretty good....

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Not sure how what this has to do with the live broadcast, but as an Ipad 1 owner who feels that 'support' for the product ended way to soon, and interested in what you mean.

They were discussing it on the broadcast. I was going to join but tonight I am stuck on a PC without a camera or mic.

Check the specs on the CPU on the 3GS and iPad 1. Check the Clock speed. The iPad has a faster CPU. There is no reason it would not run anything a 3GS will run. That is my point.

chscag
09-15-2013, 10:41 PM
And... T-Mobile is getting better. As you know Texas is pretty desolate in places. Leave Dallas - Fort Worth and travel south and you'll run out of towers fairly quick.

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:44 PM
iPhone 3GS Specs:

CPU 600 MHz Cortex-A8
GPU PowerVR SGX535

IPad 1st Gen:

CPU 1 GHz Cortex-A8
GPU PowerVR SGX535

So exact same graphics GPU and 400Mhz faster Cortex A8. I rest my case!

vansmith
09-15-2013, 10:51 PM
My experience with T-Mobile through the state of New York was terrible. NYC was fantastic but driving through the top part and parts of Pennsylvania were exercises in frustration. Now, to be fair, I was using a service that piggy backs on T-Mobile so that may have been the cause (who knows).

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:52 PM
I watched it all. Next week I will try and join and have the Mac in here as now living with people and where the Mac is I have no privacy and there is a lot of noise. Loved it though. And Van, Get a new Nexus 7! Great tablet. Better than iPad Mini. :D

chscag
09-15-2013, 10:53 PM
@Slydude
@Van

Enjoyed the live show. At first I couldn't figure out who was who but as soon as I heard that Canadian accent.....

You guys were great, looking forward to seeing Sly and whoever next week.

vansmith
09-15-2013, 10:53 PM
And Van, Get a new Nexus 7! Great tablet. Better than iPad Mini. :DI have one of the old Nexus 7s - the screen proved to be too small. In fact, I threw Ubuntu Touch on it.

That's it for this evening! Thanks everyone who watched. Sly will be taking the reigns next week as I'm out of the country.

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:54 PM
The only experience with Cell phone reception is here in my area of Central California and the San Francisco bay. I have never lost signal anywhere driving around even on the way to SF through the mountains. I use AT&T here. I have heard it's different in other areas, but here AT&T has great signal.

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 10:55 PM
I have one of the old Nexus 7s - the screen proved to be too small. In fact, I threw Ubuntu Touch on it.

That's it for this evening! Thanks everyone who watched. Sly will be taking the reigns next week as I'm out of the country.

That was why I said earlier if the screen size is ok. The IPad mini would probably also bug you then, but the new 7 is vastly improved in every way including the screen, so check one sometime.

With my eyes 7" might be a bit too small for a tablet.

bobtomay
09-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Only caught the last 40 minutes or so, but good job guys!

edit:
Would like to grab the new Nexus7, but the 1st gen is still doing it's job ok - and have to spend money on phones next.

Slydude
09-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Finally getting to read the thread, I was having trouble keeping this visible and the hangout screen on screen at the same time. Thanks for the positive feedback.

We're looking for interesting ways to improve things so this is definitely worth exploring a bit more.

dtravis7
09-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Another vote for the video cast. Great Job to both Van and Sly! I knew who both were instantly but I cheated as I have been friends with Van for a while and know what he looks like! :D Grin

Slydude
09-16-2013, 12:09 AM
The first Mac-Forums live broadcast is in the books. Safe to say Van and I enjoyed it and we hope you enjoyed watching.

If you have suggestions / possible topics for next week post them here. That way I can do some homework and at least sound like I know what I am talking about. As usual we'll try to respond to questions from the thread as well.

dtravis7
09-16-2013, 12:19 AM
I will join next time if my connection will support it. Since I moved here with friends internet is very weak. Maybe we can do a test sometime this week. Will PM you.

Slydude
09-16-2013, 12:43 AM
Sent a PM and a reminder is in iCal as well.

vansmith
09-16-2013, 10:07 AM
At first I couldn't figure out who was who but as soon as I heard that Canadian accent.....And here I was thinking "man, Sly has quite the American accent", haha.

Only caught the last 40 minutes or so, but good job guys!Thanks! We're going to try it again and see if people want to join in on the conversation.

I knew who both were instantly but I cheated as I have been friends with Van for a while and know what he looks like! :D GrinThat helps. ;)

chas_m
09-17-2013, 05:14 AM
I'm not per se bashing T-Mob here, but my experience with them on a recent trip to Florida was pretty bad (I was in the downtown Orlando area the entire trip). I'm sure they're better in other places, but at the moment I wouldn't use them again if I was visiting Orlando unless I had no other options. AT&T is fantastic in Orlando, can't comment on Verizon or Sprint (I didn't like Sprint much when I had them as a home-phone supplier, but that's not cellular).

chscag
09-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Around here (Dallas - Fort Worth) T-Mobile is as good as any other carrier. However, once you get on I-35 and travel either North or South of the Metro area their coverage is spotty at best. Verizon generally has the best coverage in my opinion with AT&T almost as good. Sprint is getting better but generally not as good as the big two.

vansmith
09-17-2013, 02:20 PM
I just looked on T-Mobile's coverage map and it looks like I followed a perfect path from the border to NYC in that I was supposedly covered the entire time. I'm guessing that I didn't take that path exactly then because once you get off that highway in the middle of the state, you're in no man's land when it comes to getting a signal.

This is the one thing that frustrates me about cell phones - dark spots. Taking the train from Ottawa to Toronto is good if you're within 45 minutes of each. Otherwise, it's "holy crap, check everything quickly before the signal drops!"

TattooedMac
09-21-2013, 02:14 AM
This was done by the looks of it with Google Hangout, but too early in the morning for us poor poor Aussies . . . Im downloading it now and will check it at my leisure but looks like a great idea, but i did keep seeing Sly's missus checking up on him a bit lol

Keep this thread as the HangOut Thread, and post times next time and ill see if i can join, (with a inferior Cam as i sliced the connection to my iSight replacing the Optical Drive out for my SSD) :(

Keep it up gents, and yes i know Van too from our FB interactions, but Sly i had a totally different look for you in my head :P

Slydude
09-21-2013, 03:40 AM
Keep it up gents, and yes i know Van too from our FB interactions, but Sly i had a totally different look for you in my head :P

lol. I'm afraid to ask what look you had in mind.

That was indeed done with Google Hangouts. Van approached me with the idea as a means of adding some extra features to the Mac-forums experience. We're still at the brainstorming / experimentation stage so any ideas are welcome.

According to their website Google Hangouts can have as many as 10 participants at a time. We would certainly like to experiment with that sometime in the near future. Assuming that this limit is accurate, a few things occurred to us:

1. This might be an interesting replacement/adjunct for the Sunday IRC chats which seem to be dead at the moment. It's nice to put faces to the names.

2. Our European/Aussie contingent might be interested in hosting an event at times more convenient for them.

3. Roundtable discussion of future keynotes as they happen. I realize live participation there would depend upon people's work schedule.

The mini treatise is over now. We rejoin our regular programming already in progress.

dtravis7
09-21-2013, 04:11 AM
Sly, I hope this is no taken in a put down way because it's a compliment. I always figured you were much older as your friend with Rick and James. You looked so young in that chat I was not sure it was you at first! :D That is a compliment!

TattooedMac
09-21-2013, 04:19 AM
lol. I'm afraid to ask what look you had in mind.

That was indeed done with Google Hangouts. Van approached me with the idea as a means of adding some extra features to the Mac-forums experience. We're still at the brainstorming / experimentation stage so any ideas are welcome.

All good my friend, just the stereo typical Editor shirt and tie type thing, but know realising Nth Louisiana i can hear your thick American Accent and i like it :) Would love to get in a Hangout one time though :)

bobtomay
09-21-2013, 08:57 AM
If ya'll ever get to hear me, neither of those 2 have an accent at all.
I was half expectin' to hear a cajun from the swamps.;)

And what, does everyone that hangs out in forums have a beard?

Slydude
09-21-2013, 11:18 AM

I'm a bit too far in North Louisiana for a Cajun accent. Some of my Cajun buddies are even wondering if we should be part of the same state.

Grew the beard in college because I was often mistaken for someone several years younger. Now that I am past the half century mark I'm starting to question that decision.

vansmith
09-21-2013, 04:06 PM
And what, does everyone that hangs out in forums have a beard?It's a recent addition to my face. Still working through what I plan to do with it.

Enjoy the show this weekend gents. I'll join in next Sunday.

TattooedMac
09-21-2013, 09:17 PM

Well if i was to join in, you would see a Bronzed Aussie clean shaven :)

Grew the beard in college because I was often mistaken for someone several years younger. Now that I am past the half century mark I'm starting to question that decision.

And there you go, i would of put late 30's early 40's on that face mate ;)

vansmith
09-22-2013, 02:07 AM
Well if i was to join in, you would see a Bronzed Aussie clean shaven :)We require authentic participation. In other words, you can't throw up a picture of someone else on the screen. :P

Slydude
09-22-2013, 04:24 AM
We require authentic participation. In other words, you can't throw up a picture of someone else on the screen. :P

Guess I better mail Denzel his pic back then.

TattooedMac
09-22-2013, 08:23 PM
We require authentic participation. In other words, you can't throw up a picture of someone else on the screen. :P

All us Aussie's look the same :P

http://i.imgur.com/G5ab4oW.jpg

Slydude
09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Assuming all goes well we will be kicking off in a bit. I have been banished from the computer room and must move some gear to the living room.

Slydude
09-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Mac-forums broadcast is live.

bobtomay
09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Link?

dtravis7
09-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Sorry, issues here again stop me from being live with you. Will move some things here and see if I can be on next week so I can show Van the 3gs getting spanked by the iPad 1! :D

dtravis7
09-22-2013, 10:12 PM
I would love to watch though. You did not provide a url!!

Slydude
09-22-2013, 10:13 PM
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/303566-mac-forums-september-22-live-broadcast.html

dtravis7
09-22-2013, 10:21 PM
that just takes us back here Sly. What is the You Tube URL? All I can find is last weeks with van and you.

Slydude
09-22-2013, 10:24 PM
http://youtu.be/0iKS6kRpEBY

bobtomay
09-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Mac-Foruma - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iKS6kRpEBY)

little spelling error ;)

dtravis7
09-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Sly if you see this, there is a small toggle that toggles from still to digital but people have said it's cram banged close to another button. I will try and find the post and link you to it.

dtravis7
09-22-2013, 10:35 PM
I got there late due to the URL. Who is the other person? Sly I know.

dtravis7
09-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Sly, yes that button. The person that mentioned it said the same thing you just said in the broadcast. :D

Slydude
09-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Broadcast is running a few minutes late due to a network issue. Look for me in about 5 minutes. Hope this is the right url, I haven't nastered this yet.

Mac-forums Webcast - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Fl2pQ-U3NYs)

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 09:52 PM
seeing you but no sound so far.

Slydude
09-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Hope I fixed it

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Still nothing on this end and I have sound in any other you tube video.

Slydude
09-29-2013, 09:59 PM
will try restarting the cast and see if that fixes things

cradom
09-29-2013, 09:59 PM
He's right, no sound.

Slydude
09-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Going to try completely restarting the hangout

cradom
09-29-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm on G+ going to try to add you.

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 10:06 PM
There is sound!!!

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 10:09 PM
This is strange, It was there and it's gone. Not sure what to say.

cradom
09-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Lost it again...

vansmith
09-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Ah, sorry I couldn't join you! I got home late this evening and I've been busy since I got back from NYC. You have the right to castigate me...this time.

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Van have you tried watching? Two of us hear no sound after a couple of minutes.

chscag
09-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Coming through loud and clear.......

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Not here and every other on You Tube is fine. Cradom is having the same issue. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any equipment here.

cradom
09-29-2013, 10:33 PM
I had him on hangouts but couldn't hear him on youtube.

Slydude
09-29-2013, 10:35 PM
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/290ab2a25e18c803002a854cb534a4b72f94e408

vansmith
09-29-2013, 10:46 PM
I heard it on YouTube - crystal clear here. Now, I am behind in the broadcast to be fair.

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 10:51 PM
I tried windows and many macs. all the same. Sound the first few min then no sound. No other you tube broadcast does that.

cradom
09-29-2013, 11:07 PM
Night all. Til next time.

Slydude
09-29-2013, 11:12 PM
I am not sure what was causing the audio problem tonight. At one point I backed out of Google+ entirely and restarted it. At that point there was sound briefly then lost again. Other than idiot in the chair phenomenon which was part of the problem something else was going on that I never got worked out.

Whatever was wrong seems to have cleared when I shifted to Chrome. Craig and I just had a conversation for several minutes with no issues.

I would attempt a short public hangout again but I have a few things to do for work tomorrow. sorry for the problems. Next week will be better.

vansmith
09-29-2013, 11:21 PM
I'll try to jump in next week. We'll make it a good one!

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 11:22 PM
I was using Firefox and Safari (Both latest versions) with latest Flash. Exact same system and browsers as the past two weeks.

I think it was some glitch somewhere and not necessarily your issue Sly. Cool that you and Craig worked with it. I was about to try Chrome. I did not as I truly don't like the built in Flash. See you next week! Maybe mister Van will be there also with his new iPad IOS cloud device! :D Grin

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Next week Van will explain his shift from Android to IOS! :D Grin. I think I will shut up now. Ban Hammers even to Mods don't feel good! :D

Slydude
09-29-2013, 11:27 PM
After I realized sound was being really inconsistent cradom and I started a conversation between us to see if we had similar issues. We didn't in the course of the conversation a few ideas came up that warrant some feedback from the group.

1. Would a somewhat earlier time, perhaps an hour earlier be more convenient? The current time is not an issue for me but I know some of our members have very different schedule.

2. In view of the thread earlier today about member podcasts does the current show need just a bit of structure. There would always be some free form discussion but there would be certain topics that were always / almost always discussed. Possible topics:

1. Quick tips
2. hot forum topics at the moment
3. Comment / discussion of current Apple / technological events.

All thoughtful comments / criticism welcome

Slydude
09-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Not all of the problem was on my end but I would probably have noticed / resolved it sooner if I were more fluent with the Hangouts process / interface. It takes me longer to find things / notice problems than it should.

I started a feedback thread with some issues that Craig and I discussed briefly during our chat. I think he would be good to have as a regular but the time is a bit late for him most Sundays.

Slydude
09-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Next week Van will explain his shift from Android to IOS! :D Grin. I think I will shut up now. Ban Hammers even to Mods don't feel good! :D

I was planning to ask a few things about that. More specifically what aspects of Android work well on phones but not so well on tablets. I haven't spent enough time with Android on either device to comment on it.

dtravis7
09-29-2013, 11:55 PM
It's too bad it's late for him as he would be an interesting person to have on the broadcast.

dtravis7
09-30-2013, 12:00 AM
For me the time is great but one hour earlier would help those out on the East Coast for sure. Might be something to think about. It's hard to include everyone around the world!

Some structure would be cool for sure. Quick Tips would be great as would be hot forum topics and latest Apple news.

Slydude
09-30-2013, 12:01 AM
I agree. I'm going to try and connect with him later in the week and may discuss this further. During our conversation he mentioned that even a shift to 6:00 would help. If that turns out not to be a good time I am hoping to get him to join for at least the first half hour or so.

Slydude
09-30-2013, 12:06 AM
We were thinking that a little structure was needed while trying to keep some of the free form discussion. I think what we envisioned is following the general structure but the discussion itself would not be scripted. I thought about having a section for a "rant of the week" but that might get out pof hand quickly. I've been told I rant too much.

chas_m
09-30-2013, 12:22 AM
I like the ideas. If you guys want any additional participants, let me know.

chas_m
09-30-2013, 12:25 AM
FTR I've been invited to Google+ chats and they always seem to have audio problems. This is one are (multiple audio participants) where Skype is the current king IMO, particularly with Skype Call Recorder to separate the voices (makes for WAY easier editing).

chscag
09-30-2013, 01:08 AM
Skype might be better, however, the last two weeks' broadcasts were OK. The sound was good.

Slydude
09-30-2013, 01:20 AM
One nice thing about Hangouts, assuming it works properly, is that it's supposed to support up to 10 direct participants. That might make it a viable replacement for the Sunday IRC meeting.

cradom
09-30-2013, 05:37 AM
We might want to consider something like a radio talk show format. Larry King and all the others have done pretty well. Something structured with a host or two, maybe a guest and open input from people popping in on Hangouts and the Forum. Something with a topic of the night but all input/questions welcome kind of thing.

bobtomay
09-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Missed it last night - decided just over 6 yrs was long enough and upgraded the wife to a new MBP yesterday. Came home with a 5C and a 5S also and spent the rest of the day/night getting all of them set up. Still showing her how to use gestures this morning in the move from her MB.

dtravis7
09-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Tom I dont' want to derail this thread too badly but what MBP did you get her? Retina or normal?

Also when you have time what are your thoughts on IOS7?

alicepattinson
09-30-2013, 09:45 AM
There's sound now :)

bobtomay
09-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Was going to get her the low end 13" Air - but no in store 8GB, so got her the low end MBP - all she needs for her uses, but wanted to be able to upgrade it to at least 8 GB RAM for her with the way every browser eats memory. Now that I've bought one, they'll have a new one come out upgrading to the Intel 5000 to match the Air.

Will have some thoughts in a few days on iOS 7. Figure I owe at least some since I'm one of those that very much dislikes the minimalist look.

vansmith
09-30-2013, 11:53 AM
We can certainly add some structure to the broadcasts - that might help to frame the discussion and build interest if people know what's coming. Sly and I will see what we can come up with for this coming week.

MacInWin
09-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Is the podcast available for subscription? If you can't listen to it live, get it later?

vansmith
09-30-2013, 03:45 PM
The live recordings are stored on YouTube after the show.

MacInWin
09-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Today Youtube version sound disappears at 1:53. Tried multiple ways to get it past that point, but no luck.

Slydude
09-30-2013, 08:14 PM
@cradom That's kinda what I thinking after our discussion last night. I was thinking for the tips section to include a Mac/OS X tip, as well as an IOS device tip, In short one tip for each of the types of devices.

chas_m
10-01-2013, 04:25 AM
Have you thought of making the podcasts available on, you know, iTunes? The world's largest repository of podcasts? :)

Slydude
10-01-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't know if it has occurred to Van but it had crossed my mind. I was thinking though that we might work out a few of the kinks first.

Adding the kind of polish people have come to expect from podcasts might require a bit more prep time. Not saying it's a bad idea just that there are probablya few logistical issues to address.

Slydude
10-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Mac-forums Videocast - YouTube (http://youtu.be/-ncABjeynxs)

harryb2448
10-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Wow that Craig is handsome - dunno about that long haired hippy whoever he be!!

harryb2448
10-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Now seriously great videocast guys. Particularly liked the 'bonehead' references Sly.

Slydude
10-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Thanks Harry/ Tonight's show was a bit of a rush job. With each episode things should smooth out a bit more. Craig was nice enough to lend a hand. Next time I'll let him get in a word or two now and then.:D

Maybe we can find a time for you to join us one of these days. You're a wealth of useful information.

cradom
10-07-2013, 05:26 AM
Actually not that much of a talker as you found out last night. When in situations like that my brain tends to go blank. Why I was never very good with the other side. Don't know how I ever managed to get married.

vansmith
10-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Gents, I once again failed to show up (not doing too well here). Next weekend may not be much better as I'll only be returning home at around 8:30 (going to visit the parents for Thanksgiving).

Raz0rEdge
10-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Gents, I once again failed to show up (not doing too well here). Next weekend may not be much better as I'll only be returning home at around 8:30 (going to visit the parents for Thanksgiving).

You're confused again Van! Thanksgiving isn't until November..:P

dtravis7
10-07-2013, 11:04 AM
This is Canadian Giving! :D They get together and eat only Poutine!

JohnCL
10-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Great video! I'll be sure to tune in on future episodes.

vansmith
10-07-2013, 11:54 AM
You're confused again Van! Thanksgiving isn't until November..:P

This is Canadian Giving! :D They get together and eat only Poutine!

Every year, I have to remind you gents that people in what is now Canada were celebrating it 43 years before the people in what is now the United States were. If anyone is confused about the proper timing, it's you. :P

dtravis7
10-07-2013, 02:35 PM
But Van. Can you CARVE the Poutine? :D Grin

harryb2448
10-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Well van you know what Charlie told me about folk north of Texas? What is this Poutine?

cradom
10-07-2013, 07:26 PM
French fries that have been mutilated horribly :(

dtravis7
10-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Hahahahhahahahahahaaha!! Good one!!

vansmith
10-07-2013, 08:16 PM
French fries that have been mutilated horribly :(The unsophisticated palate is strong in you. :P

Slydude
10-07-2013, 08:49 PM

ROTFLMAO. Funniest definition ever.

bobtomay
10-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Good one Craig...

I got to use some of my unlimited data plan and streamed it while driving today.

vansmith
10-07-2013, 10:22 PM
If you guys would like me to start critiquing American cuisine, I'd be happy to play along. ;)

Slydude
10-07-2013, 10:47 PM
What's wrong with our food? Go to any state fair and you can get virtually anything on a stick. In Louisiana and Texas we can barbecue and eat almost anything.:) Whats wrong with that.

All of this culinary goodness is achieved without mutilating a single defenseless french fry.

vansmith
10-07-2013, 11:50 PM
What's wrong with our food? Go to any state fair and you can get virtually anything on a stick. In Louisiana and Texas we can barbecue and eat almost anything.:) Whats wrong with that.I live in the most multicultural nation in the western world (http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/18/the-most-and-least-culturally-diverse-countries-in-the-world/) - I think it's safe to say that I have access to and eat "almost anything". ;)

All of this culinary goodness is achieved without mutilating a single defenseless french fry.Don't worry, I've seen what kinds of mutilation happens in American cuisine. ;)

If you're mutilating your fries, you're not doing it right.

dtravis7
10-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Hate to be negative but from all I have read and studied on Poutine it's not the best health wise for your system. To much is in fact very unhealthy. And yes I know most American Fast food is that way. That is why I do not partake of any of it.

cradom
10-08-2013, 05:31 AM
How can you critique a state where you can get deep fried ice cream.. on a stick? With nuts.

vansmith
10-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Hate to be negative but from all I have read and studied on Poutine it's not the best health wise for your system.It's cheese, gravy and fries - no part of that equation is good for you. Haha.

How can you critique a state where you can get deep fried ice cream.. on a stick? With nuts.My heart and arteries just did. ;)

On the same token, I could ask the same about poutine.

Slydude
10-13-2013, 06:45 PM
It's that time of week again.Tonight's video sat will be startng soon. 8:00 Eastern 7:00 Central time as usual. Look for the link here shortly.

Likely topics for the night include:

1. Quick tip for the do it yourself crowd
2. Addendum to last week's iTunes Radio discussion
3. Best practices preparing for Mavericks
4. Stoked for the rumored iPad event

Not sure there will be a rant this week. I'm in a decent mood.

http://youtu.be/mH6X3f8lz8o

harryb2448
10-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Assume post again Sly? Very interested in Mavericks and any info on making a thumb drive. LionDiskMaker is in beta and reportedly is having problems with GM release. Too late for us here.

Slydude
10-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Here's the link to the show guys. Had a bit of audio difficulty so we're a tad late starting.

Mac-Forums Broadcast - YouTube (http://youtu.be/mH6X3f8lz8o)

vansmith
10-20-2013, 07:12 PM
It's that time of the week again. This week, I'll be taking over the reigns because Slydude is slacking.

The broadcast tonight will start at 8:30. A link to the broadcast will be put up before the show goes live.

Keep checking back for more details.

URL: http://youtu.be/uSJu-cL24-w

Raz0rEdge
10-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Van, are we using Google Hangouts for the video chat or something else? I might get on for a bit but want to test my connectivity and webcam and all that jazz..

vansmith
10-20-2013, 09:26 PM
The live broadcast starts in 5 minutes!

vansmith
10-20-2013, 09:40 PM
We're live! Come and join us at the URL above! Raz0rEdge and I are in there now.

TattooedMac
10-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Google hangout Invite ??

TattooedMac
10-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Im watching live how do i get in on the chat ??

vansmith
10-20-2013, 10:20 PM
TattooedMac is here now!

TattooedMac
10-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks gents. Sorry i had to shoot off, but i have a Appt down town, and you probably be gone when i get back.

Had fun and will "Watch this space" for next weeks show :)
Cheers

Brent

vansmith
10-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks for stopping in Brent. It was great to have you aboard! And thanks to you too Ashwin.

We had quite the conversation jumping back and forth between what we hope for Tuesday and general discussions around iOS. Keep an eye out for next week's discussion!

Slydude
10-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Oh swell I miss a week and now you guys show up. :) You'd think I've been skipping showers beforehand. :) Thanks for stepping in this week Van. I'll check out the episode later in the week.

Raz0rEdge
10-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Sly, as I mentioned to Van, was a pure fluke that I even remembered the broadcast and happen to get on just in time..:) It was fun and I'll try to get on more frequently..

Raz0rEdge
10-21-2013, 11:24 AM
One of the "rants" Vansmith and I went on was about the size of phones and how we seem to be going back in time..this timely graphic says it all..:)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bx33bkkbOG8/UmQ7nzrChzI/AAAAAAAB4TE/yGYj8TX9ivI/w500-h435-no/Phonesize.png

vansmith
10-21-2013, 11:40 AM
That small and indestructible.

I think that's the original Note which is smaller than the current one (Note 3). That's a little ridiculous as a phone making calls (this is independent of it being a device that does other things).

dtravis7
10-21-2013, 02:11 PM
I owned that nokia above but mine was blue. Worked great. Never one issue. I still have it somewhere and it still works! :D

Slydude
10-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Almost ready for the weekly video meet, Give me about 10 minutes to set things up.

I'll post the link here in a sec.

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/7acpjk71hkvpbmr5cl9lhcektc?authuser=0&hl=en

Slydude
11-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Video chat will be starting shortly. I'll post the link as soon as I have it. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

There'll be a Mavericks tip or two. Some quick thoughts on selecting the right iPad and anything else that comes to mind

Mac-Forums video chat (https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/76cpj5ba10l2huno4hqn6ipiek)

dtravis7
11-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Is that the URL to watch?

Slydude
11-03-2013, 09:35 PM
SHOULD BE
unless I have made a mistake

dtravis7
11-03-2013, 09:38 PM
When I click the URL it tries to install Hangouts and says I will be live! I am on a PC tonight and can't be live. so not sure what is up

Slydude
11-03-2013, 09:43 PM
When I click it in safari it asks I'f I want to join the handouts.

dtravis7
11-03-2013, 09:51 PM
You saw me pop in. That is what happens when I click the URL above. No You tube. Would have said something but on PC with no Mic or no camera.

dtravis7
11-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Found it. Here is the URL for those that just want to watch it.

Mac-Forums video Chat 11/3 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7pRWNYPn9k)

Slydude
11-03-2013, 10:28 PM
In tonight's tip I mentioned that the Maverics installer includes a tool called createinstallmedia to create boot disks. It's part of the installer package so you must run it before compelling the installation. When the installation of Mavericks is complete the installer gets deleted. Mavericks tool to create boot disks (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US)

This tool works with flash drives, external drives or even a partition on an internal drive. I see no mention of it working on 9 GB DVDs. Don't expect it works there.

harryb2448
11-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Good chat Sly particularly the Combo Updater for new users and switchers.

Slydude
11-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks. Every time I work on machines / OS versions that don't do that I appreciate that feature more and more. I forgot to mention that even when several pieces of software are available you usually don't end up playing the game of multiple reboots between installs.

Slydude
11-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Video chat will be starting soon. Will post the link as soon as I get Google hangouts open

http://youtu.be/AFfl1Y4Yy3k

Slydude
11-10-2013, 10:27 PM
As promised here are the links to a few items discussed during tonights chat:

Buying / Selling Used IOS 7 Devices Read This First (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/buying-or-selling-a-used-iphone-running-ios-7-read-this-first/). Here's the information on how Find My iPhone / iPad affects transfer of used IOS devices.

Apple's tool for creating a bootable Mavericks installer (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US)

Slydude
11-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Video Chat will be starting momentarily. I'll post the link here in a few minutes.

Link: http://youtu.be/ipBlynPqGOU

vansmith
11-17-2013, 09:04 PM
I've joined the conversation. Come join us in our discussion!

vansmith
11-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Bump - still here talking, Sly is talking about how amazing I am. ;)

dtravis7
11-17-2013, 10:15 PM
I agree on the iphones and ipads On Screen Keyboards. They are the best overall on the screen of anything I have tried.

dtravis7
11-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Most including me just to keep it all neat and organized use the Pictures, Music, ETC for their data. Just a note. :D

dtravis7
11-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Another note, I run Onyx when I feel the machine needs it. I have no set schedule to doing so.

dtravis7
11-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Excellent Video Chat tonight. Good Job Van and Sly!

Slydude
11-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks Dennis. Much more interesting when I am not the only one there.

dtravis7
11-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks Dennis. Much more interesting when I am not the only one there.

Well Did not mean that Sly :D Grin

You do fine. I made a few comments on what you were talking about above.

Again Good job!

Slydude
11-18-2013, 12:31 AM
No offense taken. Things just work better when there is more than one person involved.

I think i will go back to the data structure that you mentioned. Moved it out of there to keep from having to clone all that data but the cloning tools are much better now. Easier to exclude those folders from the clone and let Time Machine handle that.

chas_m
11-18-2013, 06:01 AM
This would be a good use of Website Notifications, to let us know when one of these things is going to happen.

TattooedMac
11-18-2013, 06:39 AM
This would be a good use of Website Notifications, to let us know when one of these things is going to happen.

I Agree on this. Bit hard to find/follow if its only a thread saying it is happening now. . .
Van you have that power as a Admin yea ??

vansmith
11-18-2013, 10:19 AM
It's the same time every week, Sunday's at 8 EST.

I'm not going to use website notifications because I can't bake that into the code for the forum (I don't have that much access). That and browser support differs which means that some users might get the heads up and others wouldn't.

Checco
11-18-2013, 12:14 PM
EST = UTC-5. :Sleeping: Europeans and us Africans left out. ;D

Slydude
11-22-2013, 12:51 AM
EST = UTC-5. :Sleeping: Europeans and us Africans left out. ;D

I will be on Thanksgiving break next week.I'm a bit of a night owl when on break. Perhaps you guys can suggest a good time for a meet up. I'm game, Been wanting to do that for a while.

Checco
11-22-2013, 12:09 PM
23:00 or 24:00 EST will be 6 or 7:00 at UTC+2, but maybe a bit early for the Central Europe and UK guys?

vansmith
11-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Hello everyone,

A few of us are going to be doing a live chat tonight. The topics are TBD but, as always, I'm sure we'll find something to chat about.

We're doing it at 8PM EST. Don't know what time that is where you are? You can see a global clock here (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/) with a list of places. For reference - Ottawa is in the EST timezone so calculate accordingly.

Come join us. A link to the live stream will be posted closer to the show (we can only get them once we start the chat).

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBZi_18s4A

Participants: vansmith, Slydude, Raz0rEdge.

Raz0rEdge
11-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Count me in, but I'll have to leave to catch up with the Patriots game that starts at 8:30 PM..:)

vansmith
11-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Excellent! The more the merrier.

Slydude
11-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Excellent. The more the merrier. Looking forward to it.

vansmith
11-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Excellent! The more the merrier.

Excellent. The more the merrier. Looking forward to it.Is there an echo in here? :P

chas_m
11-24-2013, 07:44 PM
I will see if I can join, but it will be a briefl appearance -- I have a show to do this evening.

Slydude
11-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Is there an echo in here? :P

My philosophy has always been "If you don't have something brilliant to say follow someone who does".

dtravis7
11-24-2013, 09:10 PM
What is the You Tube link? That URL opens the google hangouts and tries to make my PC with no camera join the chat.

Raz0rEdge
11-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Dennis, no YouTube link..we're on Google Hangouts..Van put the link up in the 1st post..

dtravis7
11-24-2013, 09:19 PM
There is a You Tube link. That url opens hangouts and puts me live. I know I have tried it. I did it last time and Sly saw me join but I have no mic nor camera.

dtravis7
11-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Just tried it and I was part of the chat. I know how hangouts works. It's on You Tube for non participants to view.

Raz0rEdge
11-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Ahh yes..you're right..we did see you join, you had the audio muted..

dtravis7
11-24-2013, 09:27 PM
I have no audio. :D Van should know the You Tube URL. He has found it before.

bobtomay
11-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Won't have time to be there, but here is tonights url:

Mac-Forums video chat - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBZi_18s4A)

(Had to search and filter for the past hour to find it.)

Raz0rEdge
11-24-2013, 09:32 PM
I have no audio. :D Van should know the You Tube URL. He has found it before.

No audio? In this day and age! :P

vansmith
11-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Won't have time to be there, but here is tonights url:

Mac-Forums video chat - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBZi_18s4A)

(Had to search and filter for the past hour to find it.)Our bad - we'll make sure to post this the next time.

dtravis7
11-24-2013, 10:22 PM
No audio? In this day and age! :P

No Mic. Thought people would get it! :D

I can normally find the You Tube URL but this time had no luck. Thanks Bobtomay.

vansmith
11-24-2013, 10:43 PM
The chat is done for the week. It was a good chat.

For those of you who live in very different time zones than those of us who host the show, Slydude is thinking about hosting a chat that is more friendly for those who live in drastically different time zones. Stay tuned.

vansmith
12-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone!

As with most weeks, we will be doing a live broadcast after a week off (since my American colleagues decided to celebrate the wrong Thanksgiving :P).

A link will be posted later. We've also set up a YouTube channel which will house them from now on. That link will also be posted later.

As always, we will be doing this at 8PM EST (-5 UTC).

Link: http://youtu.be/lmBHkgPVBFY

Slydude
12-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone!

As with most weeks, we will be doing a live broadcast after a week off (since my American colleagues decided to celebrate the wrong Thanksgiving :P).

As always, we will be doing this at 7PM EST (-5 UTC).

A few million Canadians start celebrating early and suddenly WE are celebrating the wrong Thanksgiving. Lol

AFAIK I'll be there.

vansmith
12-08-2013, 09:16 PM
We're live. Come on in and join!

dtravis7
12-09-2013, 01:13 AM
I watched btw. Was very tired and fell asleep toward the end. Sorry!

Slydude
12-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately neither Van or I will be able to make it for a video chat this week. It has been rather chaotic on my end today and Van is off plotting world domination or something.

Look for me at the usual time next week. As usual I'll post the link next week before the show starts.

cradom
12-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Canadian domination....
Got to be better that what we got now. Except for maybe the poutine.

Slydude
12-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Assuming I can get Google+ to behave itself I'll see you guys for the video chat. You're welcome to join us. I'll post the link near showtime.

I think Van is off spreading Christmas cheer or something. If you're interested in joining let me know.

Here is the linkhttps://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/hoaevent/AP36tYeKx8WUzIO9rW_JrS44x28I0McKmlAD6U0VA574A9C4Jc bqtQ?authuser=0&hl=en

Slydude
12-29-2013, 01:41 PM
I'll be there for the Sunday video chat this week. Hopefully one of our co-hosts will be able to join. I'll post the link here a few minutes before we start.

That reminds me: Better set the DVR to record the Cowboys - Eagles game.

Little late starting but here's the link https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/7acpjt5i5fouvluatnmvni68h0

dtravis7
12-29-2013, 09:47 PM
What is the You Tube address as that one opens the hangouts and adds me. I can not do that still from here.

Slydude
12-29-2013, 09:52 PM
If you missed the Sunday chat/monologue try this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OXrJj1VM6jI).

dtravis7
12-29-2013, 10:09 PM
As you saw that one makes you join the chat! Oh well! Did a search on YT and nothing so far.

Slydude
12-29-2013, 10:25 PM
I did a short show tonight. I am still getting the hang of which link does what. I will be tied up for about an hour our but I'll check ASAP and see if I can find the right link.

dtravis7
12-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks Sly!

Slydude
12-29-2013, 11:54 PM
If you missed the Sunday chat/monologue try this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OXrJj1VM6jI).

Slydude
01-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Having a few issues with Google chat tonight but we'll give it a try starting about 7:30

Sunday video chat (https://plus.google.com/events/cg99h5qlpv8323eude1nk7sf9h0)

dtravis7
01-13-2014, 01:11 AM
Oops. Looks like maybe the issues never ironed themselves out.

Slydude
01-13-2014, 01:27 AM
I'll check it out tomorrow. I had the sound down a bit because I was getting distracted and a little feedback with it turned up.

Slydude
01-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Hopefully this link works tonight Video Chat (https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/72cpj3hm0dk69cnh6sso9tiko4?hl=en)

vansmith
01-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Hey everyone,

We're about to start our live weekly broadcast. Feel free to come watch!

Link (https://plus.google.com/events/ct5isn9d4ue02vsvaf0210vt9o4)

EDIT: We've hit some technical difficulties. We'll be starting soon!

EDIT 2: We're live!

TattooedMac
01-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Im here watching mate. In the process of moving, so i haven't got a Web Cam and my iSight is well . . . Gone since i pulled the wire out putting in my SSD, and i can find a Soldering Iron small enough . . Im there with my ears :) and in a couple of weeks, ill be able to join in again, maybe on a shiny new iMac ?!?!?! :)

dtravis7
01-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Did you guys ever get it working? If I go to the URL it says still coming.

chscag
01-26-2014, 10:53 PM
It looks like it's still hung up Dennis. I'm also getting the wait symbol with the big arrow.

TattooedMac
01-27-2014, 12:47 AM
@Charlie & Dennis, i found i had to go accept it, then goto MY page, where i got the Youtube Player, with Sly's noggin on it, and hit the Play button there. If i went to the Hangout page, i found i got the same situation as you both, that it is coming.
Thats how i got around it anywhos :)

bobtomay
01-27-2014, 07:57 AM
I don't have a clue how to get to the broadcast from the google+ link. After playing with it for 30 minutes...

It's impossible to get there for anyone that is not logged in or doesn't have a google+ account from that link.

Even when I'm logged in and then go to "my" google+ page... clicking on 'Your events', 'Find more events' or 'Hangouts' does not get me there.

If I click the 'Events' drop down and then click 'Home' - it's there - how did it get there? - I don't have a clue how it got there on my home page. Unless, when it was created it was shared to those in your contacts - which means for anyone not in your list of friends, they still will not be able to view it from the google+ link as far as I can tell.

Plus, the link above was the first go round - that ya'll didn't get working - it does not link to the one you did get working. So, both of them show up on my homepage of google+, one that has no video and says it is coming and another that works.

The youtube link for this one is:

Mac-Forums Weekly Broadcast - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeqyDaDPXg4)

dtravis7
01-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Figured you guys would love some input. Went to the URL Bobtomay provided. Excellent cast tonight. Really liked your discussion of the Closed Box thread. I agree with you both on all your points you made.

Again, good job.

vansmith
01-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Sorry for the confusion guys. The only link I got was a Google+ one (it used to give me a YouTube link) and I assumed that it was easy to watch (evidently not). I'll keep this in mind for future chats.

Slydude
02-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Assuming all goes well the Sunday chat will start in just a few minutes.

Sunday Chat (https://plus.google.com/events/cbaqbpj3qmehgd321941bub3kmo)

bobtomay
02-02-2014, 09:24 PM
And on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZyG2pQQv6M)

TattooedMac
02-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Ill try and drop in if/once i get this 256kbyts shaped speed sorted out. How can a huge communications Company loose a bloody bill, even with a receipt # ???

vansmith
02-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Hey everyone,

Slydude and I will be starting our weekly chat shortly. Feel free to tune in and send us your questions or comments (by posting here).

URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiJTp2nrILU

Slydude
02-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Sorry guys the MBPro had a complete meltdown right before the chat was supposed to start. Back up and running on a backup drive. Now Google+ is complaining a bit. Hope to get things sorted by about 7:30

Will post an update ASAP

Slydude
02-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Try this link https://plus.google.com/events/ce209skonudf4rg10g6dt7bsh4k

Slydude
02-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Sorry folks. We had numerous technical / connectivity / operator error issues this evening. Dave has agreed to join us next week. Hope to see you then.

dtravis7
02-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Good because that url told me I was not invited! :D

RadDave
02-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Sorry folks. We had numerous technical / connectivity / operator error issues this evening. Dave has agreed to join us next week. Hope to see you then.

Thanks Slydude - we were able to communicate for an hour or so - delightful! :)

Will look forward to trying again next week - I'm completely NEW to this Google+ option so if there are any 'tutorials' that will help me more, please pass on the information. Dave :)

Slydude
02-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Good because that url told me I was not invited! :D

Their description of which url to post is a bit nebulous. I probably grabbed the wrong url.

Enjoyed the chat with Dave though. I think we might re-enact part of that chat next week. It turned out to be an interesting review of how mcu technology has changed things.

vansmith
02-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Hey everyone!

Our weekly chat is up live.

Link: Mac-Forums Broadcast - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Z33ImDe59dg)

Come join.

dtravis7
02-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Question to Sly, on the Visicalc thing you saw was that Robert Cringley in his film Rise of the Nerds to Power? I heard him in the movie say that exact statement you mentioned as to why Visicalc made the Apple II successful. Just curious.

Slydude
02-23-2014, 11:26 PM
I don't remember for sure but that sounds right. IIRC I read it in some good that described the early days of Apple. I'll see if I can dig up the right reference.

dtravis7
02-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Very cool. The second you quoted that I remembered it! :D Grin

By the way, GREAT Video Cast tonight. Very interesting and very funny. Maybe someday I will be in a position where I can join. So many places I would have loved to comment especially on Music. Agreed with all the comments and can relate to it all.

Also great to see RadDave there. Very cool!

Slydude
02-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Glad you enjoyed it. I certainly enjoy them more when there is more than just me there. Dave and I had an interesting chat last week but that did not get posted due to numerous problems. He is planning to join me next week so that should make things interesting.

EDIT:

dtravis7 So many places I would have loved to comment especially on Music. Agreed with all the comments and can relate to it all.

This reminds me of an idea that I had a day or two ago that I want to throw out for consideration. I'll start another thread for that though. Probably in the moderator/staff forum since it needs to be fleshed out a bit before I spring it on the rest of the forum

RadDave
02-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Hi Guys - enjoyed last night's get together and plan to be there next Sunday - thanks all for the experience! Dave :)

Slydude
03-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Sorry folks looks like there won't be a chat this Sunday. Vansmith and RadDave are tied up this evening. I've had something come up at the last minute so it looks like lal three of us are out for this week.

Promise to be back next week.

Slydude
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Running a bit behind but the chat will be starting soon. Look for us about 7:30. I'll post the link here.

Try this link Sunday Chat (https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cgjd129th2ork1kg8ira26mbfrk)

dtravis7
03-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Did it ever happen? That url is to join the live chat, not to watch it.

Slydude
03-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Yes it did. Color that my fault. I must have posted the wrong link. One of these days I'll master this stuff. The link above should work now.

vansmith
03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Hey everyone,

We're having our live weekly chat now. Come and join us!

Link: https://plus.google.com/events/c60a7mvp9im837t5cuvt2dd044g

- van and Slydude

dtravis7
03-16-2014, 09:05 PM
URL please?

vansmith
03-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Check the original post. ;)

dtravis7
03-17-2014, 01:49 AM
VERY good show tonight. Enjoyed it a lot.

Slydude
03-17-2014, 02:37 AM
Thanks Dennis. One of these days we'll get things squared away for you to join us.

Slydude
03-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Sunday chat starts (https://plus.google.com/events/cp39albl8s1aqk69mvgvm6duv88)] n a few minutes. Starts about 7:40

RadDave
03-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Sunday chat starts (https://plus.google.com/events/cp39albl8s1aqk69mvgvm6duv88)] n a few minutes. Starts about 7:40

Hi Sly.... - well, I received your invite and tried multiple times over 45 minutes - could not seem to connect to you, so I'll give up for the night. Sorry - Dave. :)

Slydude
03-23-2014, 10:16 PM
No problem. I probably goofed up the initial link. I might have found a solution to that for future chats.

Slydude
03-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Looks like the Sunday Chat crew won't make it tonight. Things have gotten a little hectic for all of us. See you next week.

Slydude
04-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Sunday chat is running a bit late tonight.Look for me in about 15 minutes.

Will post the link as soon as i get things set up.

https://plus.google.com/events/cdot9jldmjoodddco80b6bom1p4

dtravis7
04-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Are there going to be any more shows? Have not been in 2 weeks and was curious.

Slydude
04-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes. There'll be more shows. Planning one for tomorrow unless things go nuts.

I was having a few connectivity issues last week. Thought I had posted a message. Van and RadDave were both tied up last weekend. Translation: They have a life outside the computer room I don't.

RavingMac
04-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Yes. There'll be more shows. Planning one for tomorrow unless things go nuts.

I was having a few connectivity issues last week. Thought I had posted a message. Van and RadDave were both tied up last weekend. Translation: They have a life outside the computer room I don't.

Hopefully the weather will be cooperative . . . supposed to have major fireworks in our area.

Slydude
04-26-2014, 11:01 PM
How right you are. Thought about that after making the post.

RavingMac
04-26-2014, 11:07 PM
How right you are. Thought about that after making the post.

NOAA issued an alert; they got my attention when they mentioned hail in excess of 2 inch diameter. :P

Slydude
04-26-2014, 11:43 PM
That definitely qualifies as an attention getter. lol

harryb2448
04-26-2014, 11:58 PM
Sorry don't get it ~ just a Hangouts page?

Slydude
04-27-2014, 12:27 AM
Should be working now Harry. Got rid of the first link which led to the Hangouts page. The remaining link should work.

I find the process of identifying the correct link to post is a PITA. Van seems to find the correct one every time. me, not so much.

chas_m
04-27-2014, 12:46 AM
Would like to participate, but never will use a Google+ Hangout. Is there any other option? And when are these chats exactly?

Slydude
04-27-2014, 12:57 AM
Van came up with the Google Hangouts option in part because of the number of people that can connect at tone time. I forget the exact number but it is higher than with FaceTime. With the current setup watching the chat does not require Google+ Hangout but participating does.

I'm certainly open for suggestions for alternatives.

The chats are currently set for 7:00 p.m. Central Time. If I did the tine check correctly you are in the Pacific Time Zone which places the start of the show at 5:00 p.m. Sunday your time.