PDA

View Full Version : how to access ipod?

mikehende
07-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Hey guys, I'm asking this for a friend of mine, he has 3 identical ipods, on one of them, the screen is cracked but he is only able to see it's internal contents [playlists] on his pc. On the ipod itself when the power button is pressed, one can only see an image of a USB jack and an itunes icon, any ideas please?

chscag
07-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Tell him to use iExplorer (http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/). With that he should be able to move everything off the iPod on to his Mac and recover it that way. They have a demo he can download to try first.

mikehende
07-17-2014, 05:39 PM
He does not require any backing up of files, what he wants to know is if he can access the files from the ipod itself in any way, is this possible?

chscag
07-17-2014, 05:43 PM
He should be able to do it with iExplorer if the iPod is operable. However, if the screen is cracked, it would make sense to backup everything on the iPod first and then replace the cracked screen. Unless of course if he wishes to use it that way?

mikehende
07-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Yes, since he has 2 other new ipods he just doesn't want to throw this one out if it can be used without having to replace the screen. So how does this work, he would need to install iexplore on his mac? If yes then I am not understanding how he would be able to view the contents on the ipod itself?

chscag
07-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Just have him go to the iExplorer web site (http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6J2eBRCpqaW0857k9p4BEiQAWarYbCiT5NI uyBlVKZqRRAciBtJnR1pLzFyhxH3gKSCBZ6caAjyd8P8HAQ) and read up on what the application can do. If he thinks he can use it for his iPod, then fine, he can purchase it.

What the app basically does is allow him to mount his iPod like a flash drive so that he can have access to the photos, music, and so on. If that's not what he needs, then never mind. I don't believe there is any way to use the iPod the way it is as an iPod without replacing the screen.

mikehende
07-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Ok, thank you very much for the info!