Modem cable.

Reaction score
I use an Airport Express modem. My old installation was cable, and the socket on the end of the cable was the same as the socket on the modem. My new installation, involves me having to plug the modem into the telephone wall outlet. This outlet is smaller than the modem socket. I therefore need a cable with different size plugs on each end, which nobody seems to have!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You are confusing what you have here. The Airport Express is not a modem... it is a router. If you had cable internet service, that would have required a cable modem to take the incoming line (a coaxial cable). You would have then connected your router (the Airport Express) to the cable modem using an ethernet cable. The ethernet cable looks similar to a telephone line, but it is NOT the same thing (or size, as you have found).

What you need is a DSL modem (assuming your new service is DSL, which is what it sounds like), which uses a standard telephone jack to plug into your phone line. You'd then plug your router into that. Your ISP should have provided one, or offered to.

OP
S
Reaction score
Modem Cable

Hi. Thanks for your helpful response. Actually I'm not so much confused. I just got the name wrong! To most of us "silver surfers" out here, it's just the "thing" between the signal input, and out computers!:Blushing: I should have been more specific. It's not actually cable I had. I'm in the Philippines, and using "Smart Bro" wireless internet. I was referring to the cable from the roof antenna, which had, what I now believe to be, an ethernet socket(same as on the Airport Express) My new ISP has actually supplied me with what they call a WiFi Modem(Modem+Wireless Router in one) It seems to be made by Prolink Model H5204NK. It has lots of nice green flashing lights, as well as 4 ethernet sockets! Should I connect my Airport Express to this with an ethernet cable, or should I just use the Prolink? will there be any advantage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's probably no point to using the Airport Express. The ProLink doubles as a modem and router, meaning that it does the job of the Airport Express. The only reason to use the Airport Express would be to take advantage of a feature like AirPlay that it supports.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.