Student program

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out here. I am looking at the Powerbook and a friend of mine has offered to purchase for me on his student discount. He already bought an iMac earlier this year and he is allowed one laptop purchase for the year. My question is if I have him purchase at an Apple brick & mortar store will it be an issue if I am the owner? Could I just let apple know he "sold" it to me due to personal issues or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
as far as i know, when you purchase something using a student discount, you are atesting to the fact that only you, the purchaser, are using it for
Statement of Eligibility from apple.com
I represent that I am a member of one of the defined groups above eligible to purchase and that the products being purchased direct from Apple Computer, Inc. are for my own personal, education, and/or research use.

J

jn4jenny

Scooter, he's not saying that he'll be faking his eligibility for the Education Discount. He's saying that someone who does legitimately have the Education Discount will buy it and then give it to him.

I still think that's unethical, but technically you could make it legal. As you say, he could sell it to you and transfer ownership into your name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
so is applecare also transferable?

it might be a little fishy to apple if a mac is purchased then immediately tranferred to another owner as a "sale", but then again i don't know how diligent apple is about it's student discount program. (heck, i plan on using it to get me my Imac!)

OP
R
Reaction score
scooter said:
so is applecare also transferable?

it might be a little fishy to apple if a mac is purchased then immediately tranferred to another owner as a "sale", but then again i don't know how diligent apple is about it's student discount program. (heck, i plan on using it to get me my Imac!)

bump for anyone that can shed some light on this.

J

jn4jenny

reno55 said:
bump for anyone that can shed some light on this.

Yes, the AppleCare is transferrable if the old Apple owner agrees to it.

I don't know how diligently Apple watches their Student Discount program. But this seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through to save a measly $100. If you're so keen on saving cash, buy it at a similar discount from Amazon.com or another reseller and call it a day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I did this however i saved alot more money on my system then just 100$ I bought a fully loaded powermac quad with a teacher discount from my aunt as I had not yet recieved any acceptance letters from colleges although I knew I was going to be a student any way soon, so not really cheating the system, just buying my computer early.

Reaction score
Although I'm no legal expert (especially for the US since I'm from the UK), I don't think it's an issue. Yes Apple may find it fishy, but your friend has a legal right to sell the laptop to whoever he wants. I don't think there will be a clause in the Student discount saying you can't sell on the laptop, nor i it likely that there be one saying you can't sell the laptop the same day you bought it either.

The AppleCare is another thing however, I think it does get passed on to the new owner normally when you sell (because the Applecare is registered to the serial number of the computer from what I understand). I think you'll need someone to tell you for sure though, even better if they have first hand experience!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.