Time Capsule - help!

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to help a friend set-up her Time Capsule. I know there are other threads, but after reading for a few hours I haven't found a solution yet. I've got internet via Time Warner Cable, and the set-up runs via cable to a modem supplied by them. From there I've got an ethernet cable running to the iMac (which is how I'm posting this) and another ethernet cable to the Time Capsule. I've tried setting it up a few times, and I can connect to the network it creates, but the network includes no internet access via wifi (not for iMac, iPhone, or iPad).

Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe you need to put your Time Warner modem-router in bridge mode before the Time Capsule can be used to provide a WiFi signal for your home network. You might have to contact TW and ask for assistance if you don't know how to do that with their supplied equipment.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I believe it will also work if the Time Capsule is in bridge mode. I have the following setup at the moment. Modem is connected to a third party router (ISP provided modem did not have a built in router). The computers and Time Capsule are connected to the router via ethernet.

The time capsule is in bridge mode and provides wireless access as needed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In Airport Utility for your TC

Network tab - Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)
Internet tab - Connect Using: DHCP

Hit the renew DHCP button after that
The WIFI network you've created should work then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Being a Time Warner Customer, the biggest problem that I see is with IP addressing via the Time Warner Cable Modem. If you have the iMac plugged into the cable modem, it is using the IP address supplied by the cable modem. Unless you are paying for multiple IP addresses this will never work. My current Time Warner Cable modem is just that... not a router and it does not handle wifi either.

If the above is the case, plug the Time Capsule into the Cable modem. Plug the ethernet cable from the iMac into the Time Capsule. Ensure the Time Capsule is set up as a router. Restart everything and it should work.

While my network is rather extensive, here is a simple diagram on how it is wired.

Time Warner Cable Modem > Time Capsule > Switch > Multiple Computers (wired)
> Multiple WiFi devices

Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.