switch command/control key functionality in windows 8

Reaction score
hi there! I hate to sign up and just dump my problems on you, but here I am, doing just that.

I've been running Windows 8 via bootcamp on my late-2013 MacBook Pro for about one month now, and surprisingly, it's took me this long to finally get fed up with the fact that it's ctrl-c instead of cmd-c for simple things like copy and paste. (Worse, my command key is bound to the start menu, so every time I try to copy and paste something I end up back at the start menu.)

I googled around for a solution to this issue, and found various freeware programs such as AutoHotKey, SharpKeys, and KeyTweak, and ran into issues with all of them. (Actually, I did not try SharpKeys, which has not been updated for Win 8, although I don't think KeyTweak was either. I was a bit hesitant to let a program not specifically designed for my OS muck with system files, as I've managed to corrupt my Windows partition many many times already.)

AutoHotKey has you make a file stating what you want to switch, for example,
Code:
Ctrl::Cmd
Cmd:Ctrl
should, in theory, if I'm doing this correctly, switch the functionality of the two keys so that they each function as the other. Alas, AutoHotKey does not recognize the Cmd key as a thing, and I'm unsure as to what it thinks the Cmd key actually is. (Does the windows key still send you back to start? I haven't used a windows OS more recent than XP.)

KeyTweak gave me a layout of a keyboard to pick which keys I wanted to switch, but it was laid out in a traditional 104-key fashion that is not at all like my MacBook keyboard.

I absolutely hate asking for help but if I accidentally press the command key one more time and get back to start I will probably throw a fit, so I hope you smart people here can help me. If you need more information or something just ask, and I'm sorry if someone already asked this that my google-fu didn't find.

(The easiest solution would be to switch the functionality in OS X in System Preferences and get over myself, but I'm rather fond of my command key. If only Windows was flexible enough to allow that.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Most of these utils rely on a registry hack. One of the problems with this is that it all comes apart if you try and switch the functions of two keys as when windows comes to execute the second change it finds it impossible.
e.g.
A->B this works OK leaving both the A and B keys working as an A key
B->A There is no B key anymore - fail

I'd suggest using Sharpkeys. I works fine with Windows 8.

To start with map the CTRL function to the CMD key but not vice versa.

Once you have that working, if you still need a 'Windows' key I'd look for another key you don't use to allocate that function

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
AutoHotKey has you make a file stating what you want to switch, for example,
Code:
Ctrl::Cmd
Cmd:Ctrl
should, in theory, if I'm doing this correctly, switch the functionality of the two keys so that they each function as the other. Alas, AutoHotKey does not recognize the Cmd key as a thing, and I'm unsure as to what it thinks the Cmd key actually is. (Does the windows key still send you back to start? I haven't used a windows OS more recent than XP.)
Windows will recognise your Command key as the Windows key (as they are the "meta" or "super" key on both layouts & thus share the same value on a key map), so you'll have to use:

Code:
LWin::LCtrl
LCtrl::LWin
RWin::RCtrl
RCtrl::RWin

To make both Command keys function as Control keys (& make the Control key function as a Windows key, should you ever need it).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.