Surely there must be a way to edit metadata of an mp3 in Finder

Reaction score
I have just changed to Mac after being with windows since windows came out and I love the Mac but I have a problem that is so simple in windows but seemingly impossible on a Mac. I don't want to use iTunes. I know that that is the answer, but these files are not songs and they are all held in Dropbox and shared with a team that is working on them. Trying to move one into iTunes to edit it is a nightmare and not a solution at all. IN fact the only solution I can come up with it to hang on to my windows PC just for this task. Which seems a bit silly.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. This looks promising. ID3 worked but felt very clumsy and it is only free for 30 days, so I tried Tagr but my Mac said“Tagr” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. I am not sure whether to risk looking into it? I am about to look into the third option. Thanks again.

OP
D
Reaction score
Tried Tagger but it too says“Tagger” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
I am completely new to Mac, so am not aware of whether this is something to worry about or not. I guess it is just changing a setting somewhere to allow it, but is this a wise course of action? I am wondering why these companies don't get Mac approved.

Thanks Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That message is from Gatekeeper, which is Apple's idea of keeping the user protected if they're installing an application downloaded from somewhere other than the Apple Store.

To overcome the problem, check out the procedure at:

How to Install Software from Unsigned Developers on a Mac

PS: Often, apps downloaded from a trusted source are often better and with extra features than the same app name from the App Store. And are often updated more frequently as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
That is a default setting in System Preferences>Security and Privacy. It will only allow you to open apps that are from the Apple Store. You can change this under the Security and Privacy General tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M

MacInWin

That is a default setting in System Preferences>Security and Privacy. It will only allow you to open apps that are from the Apple Store. You can change this under the Security and Privacy General tab.
If you do this, remember to put it back as it was. Gatekeeper is an important part of Apple's protection scheme. Another quick way to run installers from sources other than the Apple store is to right click on it and then choose "Open" and acknowledge that you intend it to run. You'll be prompted for your password and then it will run. You only get the warning and request for PW once per application.

OP
D
Reaction score
editing mp3 metadata

That message is from Gatekeeper, which is Apple's idea of keeping the user protected if they're installing an application downloaded from somewhere other than the Apple Store.

To overcome the problem, check out the procedure at:

How to Install Software from Unsigned Developers on a Mac

PS: Often, apps downloaded from a trusted source are often better and with extra features than the same app name from the App Store. And are often updated more frequently as well.

Thank you very much for this. It all seems very straightforward, but I don't know anything about these developers so I would be taking a risk to override Apples protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for this. It all seems very straightforward, but I don't know anything about these developers so I would be taking a risk to override Apples protection.

You can usually tell what developers are legit just by reading their webpages so you wouldn't be taking any risk, or Google for more info.

If you want to avoid that and keep yourself protected, use a site like Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate and search for the product you're looking for and download it directly from there or from the listed developers site. They are all legit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.