How do I remove myself from a shared network?

Reaction score
I live in a university dorm and use an ethernet cable with a data jack along with everyone else on my floor. When I open finder I can see their pcs or macs on the left side of the window. Is there a way to remove myself from the shared network and remove the names on the side?
I've been having internet issues for a while and my Internet provider suggested I try this since they don't detect any connectivity issues on their end

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention which version of OS X you're using. But for Mavericks, open System Preferences, Sharing. Go through the settings and make sure you turn all sharing off.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. I use osx 10.9.3. I've went to the sharing window, everything was already turned off (i've posted the screenshot)

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 7.22.03 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If all sharing has been turned off at your end, there's nothing more you can do. The network you're on is controlled by your university and apparently it's setup that way. However, no one that you can see on the network can access your machine without your consent. Just make sure you use strong passwords. I recommend using a Password manager or use your Keychain app to generate strong passwords.

Also, try this: Open your Finder, select preferences, General, and remove the check from the box that says "connected servers". They'll still be there but hidden from you.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks. i also went to finder>preferences>sidebar and deselected the all the shared options

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.