Mavericks on unsupported Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hi every one. I've never joined a forum, I usually find what I need from browsing, but I'm stuck.

I have an old Mac Pro, 2,1 late 2007 model running 2x quadcore 3.0 ghz Xeon processors. I'm using snowleopard and it has been my workstation for a long time.

Recently I had an issue with Python and couldn't get Django installed correctly for a course I'm taking, My advisor told me to upgrade to mavericks. So, I found that my machine wasn't supported because of 32bit efi. Not sure what that means. It runs 64 bit programs like Maya and Nuke like a champ, so apparently 64 bit and 64bit efi are different things. Anyways, I did some research and found the sfott 32 to 64 tool and used it to install mavericks on my machine. I found it at oemden.com

Because snowleopard was working fine, I decided to install mavericks In a brand new separate drive.

Mavericks works fine, other than some video card issues, I get some random, rgb pixels on my monitor now and my second display isn't detected at all. But I can do the python Django training so I'll live. I'm using a quadrofx 4500.

But now, when I boot into snowleopard on my other hd, it freezes almost every time. Most of the time it gets stuck on the white screen after the apple logo. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get it logged in but it freezes randomly. I always have to hard boot to get it back.
I tried using disk utility while in mavericks and after running repair permissions and repair disk it stated that the drive was in good shape. Because I can run things in mavericks I don't think it's a memory issue.

I thought because I installed mavericks on separate drive it wouldn't affect my snowleopard drive.

Any suggestions, thoughts?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any suggestions, thoughts?

When you install unsupported hacks like this...all sorts of strange things can happen.:(

Here is what my first thought would be. I agree...if you have Snow Leopard installed on one drive...and Mavericks on a 2nd drive...they should operate/boot independently of each other. But...if this "hack" (sfott 32 to 64 tool) does anything to the firmware of the Mac Pro...then this can really mess things up.

I don't know a whole lot about this tool/hack...but I would look into if it modify's anything in the firmware. And if it does...this could be the issue.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow, fast reply.

Thanks Nick, I'll look into that. That makes sense!

Any one know a good place to start for finding info on this?

Thanks again,

Clint

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.