Set up external hard drive as scratch disc

Reaction score
I am just trying to set up my external hard drive as my scratch disc but it's not coming up as an option when I open up plug-ins and scratch discs. I'm not sure how to add that. Is it a problem that I store most of my files there? Should I be adding another hard drive just for scratch disc purposes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am just trying to set up my external hard drive as my scratch disc but it's not coming up as an option when I open up plug-ins and scratch discs. I'm not sure how to add that. Is it a problem that I store most of my files there? Should I be adding another hard drive just for scratch disc purposes?

Hi Carlena - welcome to the forum! :) You really need to provide much more information AND you should start a new thread rather than posting in one that is rather 'ancient': 1) What are your computer specs & OS being used (assume you are on an Apple computer but not sure?); 2) By 'scratch' disc what program are you using that requires this label (assume something graphic by Adobe but not sure); and 3) What external drives are you now using?

'Scratch' space on a HD is meant to be temporary storage used by your computer as accessory RAM, i.e. not a location for permanent storage of files - I'll stop there since not completely sure what you want to do nor what hardware/software you are even using; BUT start a new thread in an appropriate forum here and give us a LOT more information and a clear description of what you want to achieve - Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.