• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Got MacBook + iPhone: Why need an iPad?

Reaction score
Hi,

I see tablets everywhere and I have been tempted to buy an iPad. When thinking about it for the second time however, I feel no need for it since I have the combination of a Macbook Air and iPhone, making the ownership of an iPad meaningless.

For all those people who have a laptop and a smartphone, why would they buy a tablet? I have seen so many people who have. I understand why people would buy a tablet if they have a desktop + smart phone but not the other combination.

My logic is...

- In the home- You can carry a laptop to the couch and onto bed like a tablet. A laptop would be a better viewing device than a tablet because the 'screen angle' is highly adjustable. It's hand-free when lying in bed. Not to mention you can type much faster and the full potential (e.g. MS Office, video editing) of a laptop over a tablet

- When out and about- A phone does the same thing as a tablet. The only advantage of a tablet over a phone is bigger screen size. Then again, why not carry your Macbook if you're going to carry an iPad around. Portability? Once again, the smart phone in the pocket is portable!

So bottom line is 'Why do people buy a tablet if they have a smartphone and laptop'?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
- When out and about- A phone does the same thing as a tablet. The only advantage of a tablet over a phone is bigger screen size. Then again, why not carry your Macbook if you're going to carry an iPad around. Portability? Once again, the smart phone in the pocket is portable!

Have you ever tried to respond to these forums on your iPhone? Have you have tried to create a one or two page document on your iPhone using Pages or Word? Have you ever tried to create a worksheet of your monthly expenses on your iPhone with Numbers or Excel? Have you ever tried to edit a Keynote or Powerpoint presentation on your iPhone? How about editing photos on your iPhone using iPhoto?

After you've tried the above, then come back and give us your opinion based on your experience with your iPhone. ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
Why would you want to use your iPad to do those things in the house when you got your Macbook?

When you're out in a wifi cafe what's the likelihood you'll create a worksheet for your monthly expenses, do a powerpoint presentation or edit photos? In the office you would do those things. Then again, you're more likely to take your Macbook to office with you.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't try changing the subject..... ;) You're the one who brought up the question and I was pointing out to you how much easier it is to do those things on an iPad than an iPhone.

However, to answer... Some folks prefer carrying a smaller lighter more portable iPad than even an 11" MacBook Air. Also, an iPad with cellular capability has access to the internet from just about anywhere. Something that a MacBook Air can't do without an external dongle.

OP
S
Reaction score
LoL...I didn't change the subject. That was my entire concept of the Macbook + iPhone equals no need for iUselessPad. However, this is a good debate.

Me personally, I would not want to pay extra mobile internet for my iPad. I would simply use 'hotspot' to connect my Macbook with.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...no need for iUselessPad.

Obviously you are anti-iPad...so of course you would think that an iPad is "useless".:(

Me personally, I would not want to pay extra mobile internet for my iPad. I would simply use 'hotspot' to connect my Macbook with.

You don't need separate mobile internet for an iPad. You can use it with hotspots as well.:)

Apple and other tablet manufacturers have sold MILLIONS of tablets. And many of these buyers also own laptop computers. Obviously all of these folks can't be wrong. Few folks just drop $400-$500 bucks on a whim for a tablet. And many folks are on their 2nd or 3rd tablet (upgrades). So again...tablets/iPads can't be all bad (many of these folks own laptops & smartphones too).

It's a "no-brainer". Tablets have the touch interface...they're lighter...thinner...etc. They simply have advantages over laptop computers in some situations. Just like a smartphone has advantages over tablets & laptops in some situations.

Smartphones, tablets, and laptop computers all have advantages & disadvantages. If you feel that the combination of a smartphone & laptop works for you...great!:) But some folks like to have all three...and that's perfectly ok too!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@simonvee:

I moved this entire thread to the Lounge as It's not a rumor or report. Pay attention to the forum descriptions and what is on topic for the forum before posting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.