• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Using 60D or similar DSLR for shooting video?

Reaction score
I shoot my home movies with a 2008 Sony HDR-SR12.

My question is... how does the 60D compare to a higher end camcorder like the one I'm using? Does it work the same way, does the autofocus function the same?

I have seen samples of video that look fantastic but tripods were used. I would be recording videos of my kids and family events. etc.

Also, how is the quality of the photos if I were to take them while I'm recording the video?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Canon have replaced the 60D with the 70D with some improvements but it is a similar product.

Shooting with a DSLR impose some restrictions. You cannot focus automatically whilst filming without the autofocus hunting. So you'll see the image go in and out of focus until it locks onto the subject.

Yes you can take still whilst filming but you'll get a break in the video, where the still was taken. The image quality will be the cameras full resolution not the smaller down sampled video image.

Having shot video on both still and video cameras, the quality from both is very good, but hand holding a DSLR for video needs incredibly steady hands. The best option would be to use some form of camera stabiliser. IS lenses don't have enough play in them to compensate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.