New User - Networking Question

M

MJGUK

Hey All,

As a few of you may know, I am new to Mac and am currently having a few issues in setting up my desired networking situation.

Basically what I want to do is allow other computers to browse my folders from other PCs on my network. However, I only want the other computers to be able to Read the files and folders when viewing them and I am not sure how to set this up.
As if I engage the file sharing etc under my user name, I'm presuming when I log in from the other Windows machines, they can edit too?
I really just want them to be able to read my files.
What is the best way to achieve this?

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
As if I engage the file sharing etc under my user name, I'm presuming when I log in from the other Windows machines, they can edit too?

They sure can, I do it all the time.

I'm not sure how to fix your other problem just now but I'll look into it, I will need it as well.

OP
M

MJGUK

Ok thanks,

I'm actually on the phone to Applecare atm, I'll see if they know anything that might help.
Essentially I just want the other computers to be able to view, but not edit my files.
I thought creating another Account might fix that, but I'm not sure how to give them access to read my Account's files. If I knew that, I'm sure that would work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.