Cloning a windows drive for dual boot?

Reaction score
Hi, I currently just ordered a 15" Retina MBP with the 2.6 processor and 1tb ssd. I have a HP envy 15 laptop with a 400gb partition on the hard drive with misc files and other things on it and I want to dual boot it on the macbook.

1, What is the options for Dual Booting the OS, I dont want to do a virtual machine or parallels. I want a option on boot to choose OSX or Windows 7.

2, Can i Simply for the most part clone the drive from the HP with my OEM copy of windows 7 onto the mac say if I partiton the drives into 2 500gb ones instead of a whole TB for one. I think that would be easier to keep most of it not all of my programs and all of my files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What member "ferrarr" said is accurate. An OEM HP version of Windows 7 will not work in Boot Camp or a virtual machine. You need a full install version of Windows 7, either MS boxed or an OEM System Builder's version which you can buy from Amazon, NewEgg, and many other resellers.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok so what exactly is boot camp? I am used to normally just doing dual boot in the bios on a windows desktop. And is there a grey area on this forum where if I did try what i said you could help me or is it black and white no way, if so I think I can grab

If I do buy the OS, what honestly is better I dont like the design of windows 8.1 but ive had people tell me its better all around. Ive been using windows 7 for the past 6 years so ya im used to it and know it good. Both 7 and 8.1 are on amazon for about 95 bucks,

Also I didnt get a superdrive so how am i going to get the dvd with windows onto the retina pro. I dont want to buy a drive for $80 this will be the only time its ever touched.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A Mac has no BIOS, instead it uses EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) to store the boot information. You can read about Boot Camp here from the Apple Support knowledge base.

If you purchase a Mac without a DVD drive, you will be able to install Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 using a USB Flash Drive, SD card, or if you prefer, an external DVD drive. As for which version of Windows to purchase, that's up to you as long as it's a full install version not an upgrade. You can not install a version of Windows earlier than Windows 7. In other words, not XP or Vista.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.