broken bezel of 17" MBP

Reaction score
I have a MBP A1151 (17 inch screen). Its screen bezel cracked on the left side while closing the lid . I have oiled the hinges with Machine oil and then with WD40 but still the bezel lifts up while closing the lid, and it does not allow the MBP to close fully as a result. I opened the screen fully and filled the hole where the screw goes in with instant glue and also applied it on the surrounding area inside the bezel. But the bezel broke off again the moment screen was assembled to the MPB and closed down only half way.
I repair PCs regularly and I am amazed at this stupid design of MBP with so many people complaining about too much strain on the bezel while closing the lid. Is there lasting solution without changing the bezel or buying new one? I find that even adding a millimeter of anything on the bezel make the bezel rub and scrape the screen against the body of MBP. I am sure the problem does not sit with hinges but with the basic design of the MBP. Even loose hinges would put enormous strain on the bezel when the lower bottom screw on either side is broken off. I am thinking of putting M-seal adhesive permanently if nothing else works.
I have lost 3 months scratching head but never had a clue to what should be done. Any successful ideas that save money and fix the problem? thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I repair PCs regularly and am amazed at this stupid design of MBP with so many people complaining about too much strain on the bezel while closing the lid. Is there lasting solution without changing the bezel or buying new one?

Not really a "stupid design" as long as some "stupid person" doesn't break the display bezel in the first place!;) Computer design engineers don't incorporate ways to "jerry-rig" a damaged part to work after it's broken.

If a broken part can be "jerry-rigged" to work after it's broken with an ingenious repair...great!:) But don't blame the design if the jerry-rigged repair idea fails. The proper thing to do then is replace the broken part with a good part.

Finally regarding the "so many people complaining about too much strain on the bezel while closing the lid." Sorry...but this is probably the first time that I can remember where someone mentioned the bezel breaking on a 17" MBP. So this is REALLY not that common of a problem...and if it's not that common of problem...there cannot possibly be "so many people complaining".;)

This is probably a situation where a user was being a bit repetitively abusive in the way they were handling or opening/closing the laptop's display. And if something like this is repeated over & over again...eventually something will break.

If the "jerry-rigged" repair ideas aren't working...then replace the darn part with a good part.:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Give solution dont doubt my words

Are you Apple Employee that instead of giving solution you are taking side of the designers? There are not infallible surely. I have the right to have my opinion and I stand by it because I never abuse my MBP nor have I mentioned anywhere to that effect. I have never dropped the MBP too. People are made to pay through their noses to replace a simple part like bezel. But there are geniuses out there who find solutions to over come this. I was appealing to these geniuses and not Apple watchdogs. I am repairing laptops for 20 years including MBPS. Please google about this to see this problem with the bezel. When the hinges are smooth and still there is a stress on the bezel lower part the obvious thing is to doubt the design. It does not happen to many other models.
Moreover, 17 inch ones are not god sent that they should not have this cracking bezel problem. It is a simple matter of stress on the bottom of the bezel that could happen to any MBP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you Apple Employee that instead of giving solution you are taking side of the designers? There are not infallible surely. I have the right to have my opinion and I stand by it because I never abuse my MBP nor have I mentioned anywhere to that effect. I have never dropped the MBP too. People are made to pay through their noses to replace a simple part like bezel. But there are geniuses out there who find solutions to over come this. I was appealing to these geniuses and not Apple watchdogs. I am repairing laptops for 20 years including MBPS. Please google about this to see this problem with the bezel. When the hinges are smooth and still there is a stress on the bezel lower part the obvious thing is to doubt the design. It does not happen to many other models.
Moreover, 17 inch ones are not god sent that they should not have this cracking bezel problem. It is a simple matter of stress on the bottom of the bezel that could happen to any MBP.

Have a good one. Good luck with the repair.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.