imovie questions

kdd

Reaction score
I just bought my first mac because I have heard so much about the graphic advantages. In watching tutorials to learn how to use iMovie, there are many out there that talk about iMovie 11. I have iMovie 10.0.2, which is the most recent update. The apple site has no reference to iMovie 11. Yet the tutorials show features my iMovie doesn't have (and I really want). What's going on?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iMovie 11 = iMovie 2011 - when it was released and was version 9

iMove 10 - released in 2013 - they dropped the year moniker used with all the previous versions

C

chas_m

iMovie 10.x is a 64-bit rewrite, but has most of the features found in iMovie 9.x. What few were taken out will be put back in an update or two. Apple does this periodically -- tears down the old app and starts over. This process *ultimately* produced better products, but it can sometimes be inconvenient for users that got used to the "old system."

Those of us who already HAD iMovie 9.x still have it ... the update to iMovie 10.x just moved iMovie 9.x aside to its own folder, but it is still there and works fine. If you didn't previously have iMovie 9.x (aka iMovie 2011), then you can't get it unfortunately. Just be patient, the updates are likely to come in due course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.