external CD-drive for iMac (2011 model)

Reaction score
Has an iMac (late 2011) with dvd-slot-drive. Have had some issues with "stock cd`s" where different attempts (resetting Poersystem, resetting RAM etc....) eventually solved the problem - BUT, i feel this luck might leave me at some time, so i wan`t an external-Cd-drive, connecting to primarily Firewire/Thunderbolt, sec. USB 2.0....
I really only need the "read-capacity" because my job is, getting all my dvd`s to .m4v-format on my NAS....
Looked around, but where i live (Denmark) i have not found something actually "straight on".
Do not wan`t to doing the "hacks" getting Apples ext. DVD working on my Mac, and won`t have drives with non-Mac-compatible-software....
OWC from US would be THE choice, but tax importing it to the EuropeanCom would multiply the price....
ANY ideas...???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not knowing what you have available there in Denmark, it's difficult to make a recommendation. I purchased an inexpensive Samsung external USB 2.0 optical drive here in the US for $30 which works well. Any USB optical drive should work OK with your iMac. The one I purchased was used on my 2011 iMac and now being used with my newer model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Samsung SE-208 is cheap and good.

Just use the two USB port connectors as it is bus powered.

OP
S
Reaction score
ext cd drive

okay then, i`m kind of relieved to read your answers. Had the impression that OSX perhaps had some built-in restrictions against "foreign hardware", as they obviously has against there own Superdrive on older iMac....
I`ve read some reviews/tests on drives on Mac`s, they were not positive in there conclusions, but that might be against the software delivered with the hardware - software not being 100% OSX compatible....
Can i understand both your answers this way..... the external cd drive you mention, will work as PnP, and just popup in Finder as an extra drive, as if it was an externalHD ? What about drivers...? Or are you forced to use some software as Macgo or like....?
And remember..... my only aim is to read ! Not burn, not play....

thanx in advance, appreciate your help - Smallpoxxx.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Any drive should work. There are no drivers required.
Disregard any reviews related to software delivered with a drive.

While most optical drives read multiple types of discs nowadays...
If you want to read DVDs, you would want a DVD drive... not a CD drive.
A CD only drive will not be able to read a DVD.
(As cheap as they are, not even sure anyone makes a CD only drive any longer.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just hook her her up with both connectors, I use a cheap USB hub, and you will be in business. No other software required.

OP
S
Reaction score
bought Samsung SE-208

Ok made my buy - found Samsung SE-208, and you are wright, it`s cheap !

I do mean dvd-drive, just a bad habit calling any disc "a cd"....
I`m kind of new to Mac`s, anyway only Mac since 2011, but i`m happy with it, and my asking for drivers e.g. might be back from earlier days on the windows-machines.... You always
had to look up for drivers and other stuff when you got new hardware.
So being an "old guy" it has become a habit to investigate before trying -
Is`nt called a wize approach - yeah, why don`t we just say that :D

Looking forward as the post has promised to deliver tomorrow, and thanks for
all the input.

Smallpoxxx "bottled 1957"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol how old is your 'old'?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.