• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Upgraded to Mavericks, new iMovie is choppy!

Reaction score
I upgraded my late 2011 MBP to Mavericks and I was forced to upgrade to the new iMovie. It's very slow! I upgraded my memory to 8GB and it made it a little better but it's still choppy on playback.

Also, when iMovie is open, all my programs slow down.

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hmm.. Can you post the specs of your laptop.
Also check to see how much the CPU is getting used in the task manager before and after opening iMovie.
Also how much software do you have loading up at startup.

Cheers,
Joe

OP
T
Reaction score
OS X Version 10.9.1
Processor: 2.3Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8GB
Graphics: Intel HD graphics 3000 512MB
320GB hard drive, 176GB free space

I can download video and when I play the video from the video library, it's fine. When I select a video clip and drag it to the editor to create a movie, the audio is fine but the video is choppy and lags the audio. I've had to use another computer with an older version of iMovie to create videos.

Tony.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hmm.. Can you post the specs of your laptop.
Also check to see how much the CPU is getting used in the task manager before and after opening iMovie.
Also how much software do you have loading up at startup.

Cheers,
Joe

Need the rest of the info my friend or were driving blind here..

OP
T
Reaction score
Without iMovie running: 97% idle, 3% CPU usage.

iMovie reports CPU usage from 150% to over 200% when running video. When I run video from the video library, everything is good and CPU usage is about 120%. When running it from the clip I dragged to the editor to create a movie, it runs around 220%.

With iMovie open but not running clips or editing, CPU usage fluctuates from 80% to 170%.

Tony.

C

chas_m

I upgraded my late 2011 MBP to Mavericks and I was forced to upgrade to the new iMovie.

Um, no.

Your old iMovie is still on your hard drive (unless you deleted it, obviously). It's been moved to a folder called "iMovie 9.0.9" (or whatever version you had before you downloaded and installed iMovie 10).

None of the iLife and iWork upgrades overwrote the previous versions. If you had them, then you still have them.

(for the record, my copy of iMovie 10 is working fine with no choppiness, but my point is that if you don't want to investigate what's going on with your copy of the new one, you can just carry on using the old one -- it works fine in Mavericks.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.