What do I need to get started? - Illustration

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I like to do illustrations as a hobby and I also would like to dabble in creating graphics/logos for my own company. I'd like to start doing this on my Mac, but I don't know what I would need to get started. Keep in mind, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to digital illustration.

Is Adobe illustrator the right program? What about a graphics/drawing tablet?

Any suggestions you have on software or hardware would be great. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Check out iDraw in the App Store if you do not want to get Adobe illustrator.
Wacom would be what i would look at if you do not have an iPad if you do have an iPad there are Apps for this I just can't recommend one since I have not personally used any.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hey everyone,

I like to do illustrations as a hobby
:Confused:
Keep in mind, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to digital illustration.

hmm.. So which is it? Are you a hobbyist or a beginner and would like to start getting into Digital Illustration. Being a hobbyist means you would already have experience in this field.

If your a beginner, then what is you experience level with graphics drawing and most importantly, what is your budget?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.