Potential new malware for OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And what is GitHub and BitCoins?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
GitHub is a huge and reputable website that hosts a tremendous amount of open source code. BitCoins, well, the jury's out on the reputation of that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
GitHub is a huge and reputable website that hosts a tremendous amount of open source code. BitCoins, well, the jury's out on the reputation of that one.

BitCoins have been in the news lately (NPR radio, papers, etc.) - basically seem to be 'digital currency' (info HERE) - their value seems to change like in the stock market - don't really understand the process but appears that if you own them on your computer that now they can be stolen? WELL, I'll keep my current retirement plan - ;) Dave

C

chas_m

Reserving final judgement about Bitcoins, but I personally think its a shell game for the 21st century. Like a lot of things in the world, may have started off as a noble idea but seems to be rife for abuse and fraud.

Github explained above. The legit developer who's app was hijacked by the malware has since taken down his program in an effort to thwart the ne'er-do-wells.

OP
McBie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have updated the 1st post with some additional info ...

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's some more news about this malware from Mac Security News Software and Reviews for Macintosh Mac OS X Security Firewalls Desktop Network Security secure mac os x Virus Encryption PGP macosx

New Mac Security News
We just added the following news to our Site:

Wednesday evening, Apple updated XProtect to defend against the two known variants of OSX/CoinThief.

SecureMac has more information on how the CoinThief malware is initially installed on infected systems, with steps it takes to disguise its behavior. Read more information about CoinThief.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.