New Mac Pro networking query

Reaction score
Hi there,
I work for a small video production company, and we currently have a handful of legacy Mac Pros.
Currently we dual bond our ethernet (CAT5e) cables into the Mac Pros, to up our bandwidth. This has worked fine up until recently, but with an increasing number of editors all working from the same NAS, we really need more bandwidth.

So we're looking at installing a CAT6 network in our studio, which should be perfect for our needs, we can add CAT6 cards to our old Mac Pros for 10GbE...
The only problem is that we're also on the cusp of buying 2 New Mac Pros, and they only appear to have CAT5e for some weird reason :/

So I wondered if anyone could advise a future solution to hook up these 2 New Mac Pros along with our other machines, to a local NAS. We really need something faster than CAT5e...

Huge thanks in advance for any advice, tips and thoughts :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only problem is that we're also on the cusp of buying 2 New Mac Pros, and they only appear to have CAT5e for some weird reason :/

Have you checked with Apple to see if this was true? I find it hard to believe that CAT6 can't be used with the new Mac Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.