External display for MBP 2012 / Macbook 2007

Reaction score
I'm just looking for advice on an external display for both my MBP late 2012 and my "old-but-still-around" Macbook 2007.

First, let me tell you why I'm looking for an external display. I had a 2008 24' iMac that died on me recently, I've already asked for tech review on the problem and basically the logic board burned so sending it to the Apple store is out of my mind, I don't want to spend money in a machine that in the near future will become obsolete software-wise. As I still have two mac laptops, I thought about the TBD but considering that my macbook has DVI and no TB port I think that investing $1k in the TBD to connect it to a single machine (the MBP) is also not the best option.

So, I'm on the market for third-party displays where I could connect both machines. The macbook will be "converted" to a desktop machine (still fine for surfing the web, streaming or light work on office) and whenever I need I'll plug my MBP for my work (software development on xcode, visual studio).

I'm currently considering two Asus displays: the 27-inch MX279H (at €320) versus the 29-inch MX299Q (at €470). The 27' has a 1920x1080 resolution, while the 29' has 2560x1080. I'm looking for a wide screen as while I'm working I really use more horizontal pixels than vertical.

Now, considering these options, what do you think suits me best? Resolution is not a big issue to me and I think I'd do fine with the 1920x1080 (although I never tried this resolution in a 27') as what I really miss for my work is real estate. Considering that I'll still use the macbook a lot (e.g., when I'm not at home my GF can use the macbook to surf the web), I'm just not sure whether the 29' will be a killer for a macbook that can only do 1920x1200 on an external display...

Any advice from people with similar needs/setups is welcome!

Thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.