iMac not letting me add printer

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to add a Canon ImageClass LBP6000. I already downloaded the drivers from the Canon website.

When I try to add the printer, it searches for new drivers but then does nothing. It has the correct printer name in the column but the Add button is shaded gray.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The driver software package appear in the Applications Folder after downloading, expanding and installing Andy?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of OS X are you running and did you download the correct drivers? If the "Add" button is grayed out, it means that either the driver(s) are not compatible or they're the wrong ones. Canon printers can be a real pain to setup even when the correct drivers are used. I had nothing but headaches with the one I had until finally the print head died and I got rid of it.

OP
A
Reaction score
What version of OS X are you running and did you download the correct drivers? If the "Add" button is grayed out, it means that either the driver(s) are not compatible or they're the wrong ones. Canon printers can be a real pain to setup even when the correct drivers are used. I had nothing but headaches with the one I had until finally the print head died and I got rid of it.

Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Yeah, I downloaded the correct drivers.

If this printer is going to be a pain I might just send it back. Another thing its doing is when I lift the lid and then close it the printer makes a noise for a few seconds(sounds like its about to print) and then it just stops making the noise but it makes a sound like someone has pulled the plug on it. The kind of sound electronics make when there is a power shut off.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just went to the Canon site and looked up that printer. This is what I found for drivers =

LINK

Is this the same driver you downloaded and installed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give it another try.... completely remove the printer and try reinstalling it to determine if it will "see" the installed driver. If it doesn't, return the printer if possible and buy an HP LaserJet instead. The HP LaserJet printers also use the combined toner and drum cartridge setup same as Canon. As a matter of fact, Canon copied that from HP.

Reaction score
I agree with @chscag :)
disconnect the printer to your mac then reinstall the driver, connect the printer again and maybe it will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.