Anyone know when they'll use new LCD?

Reaction score
Hi this is my first time to post here-
i just have two questions
wondering if anyone know-
I really like to buy a ibook but dislike their lcd because
sony vaio for example, is just so much brighter and crisp.
so I am waiting for them to upgrade lcd, but i've been waiting so long
and nothing happend.....
so I wonder how long i need to wait.

and anyone know which country are the ibooks made?

THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I doubt that you are going to see any major updates to the LCD type in the iBook anytime soon.
I find that they are fine personally. If it is that much of an issue, you may want to consider saving a little more and getting a MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Quashu said:
Hi this is my first time to post here-
i just have two questions
wondering if anyone know-
I really like to buy a ibook but dislike their lcd because
sony vaio for example, is just so much brighter and crisp.
so I am waiting for them to upgrade lcd, but i've been waiting so long
and nothing happend.....
so I wonder how long i need to wait.

and anyone know which country are the ibooks made?

THANKS!

I don't know anything about upcoming iBooks, but the new MacBook Pros are supposed to be as bright as Apple's Cinema displays for their desktop computers. I don't plan on getting a MacBook Pro until the Rev. B models are available, so there's no Apple laptops in my future for awhile. I know what you mean though; the LCDs on the Apple laptops are very disappointing. The LCD quality on the Apple laptops are the primary reason I haven't purchased one yet. I would have picked up a 12" PowerBook but I can't stand the display quality. I'm currently using a PC laptop with a 15.4" ultrabrite (glossy) widescreen LCD and it's absolutely gorgeous, I love it to death. The lack of a glossy screen wasn't enough to stop me from getting an Apple laptop with a matte screen, but the dimness of the screen was. All I can hope for is that the new MacBook Pro really does look as good as they say it will, otherwise it's G5 heaven for me :)

I

init6

The new iBooks are going to have similar LCDs to the MacBook Pros, I'd be willing to bet. They should be out within 6-8 months (nothing but a guess here, but it seems realistic to me) so wait and see. And as far as I know, Quashu, all Apple products are manufactured in China.

I have an iBook 14" and I will admit that the LCD is not the best. On the other hand, it is quite functional. Here in Russia it's not usually very bright outside (not in winter, at least), but I often leech Wi-Fi from a nearby shopping mall - under it's flourescent lights and because I always turn my LCD brightness down to halfway or less (battery conservation) when I'm running on battery it can be very difficult to see properly (dark wallpapers are right out in those situations). If I had decent internet at home it wouldn't be an issue, but I have to pay $0.10/MB (not a typo!) for internet here. So needless to say, for podcasts, movies, anything from iTMS, it's off to the mall. :rolleyes:

Kaidomac, I hear you on those Ultrabrite glossy LCDs! I got my Mom a Toshiba notebook with that 15.4" widescreen while I was home for Christmas and I jokingly said to her, "OK, I want to swap." That is one heck of a nice LCD! I haven't seen a MacBook Pro up close but if the new LCDs on them rival the Ultrabrite then Apple has a winner - otherwise, they still have some work to do. ;)

OP
Q
Reaction score
that's a dissappointment to me that their products are all made in china....
because everything I've bought that's made in china are not reliable.(eletronics stuff of course, not food)

Why don't apple team up with a good LCD company so they can make nice LCDs like toshiba and sony.

init6 said:
The new iBooks are going to have similar LCDs to the MacBook Pros, I'd be willing to bet. They should be out within 6-8 months (nothing but a guess here, but it seems realistic to me) so wait and see. And as far as I know, Quashu, all Apple products are manufactured in China.

I have an iBook 14" and I will admit that the LCD is not the best. On the other hand, it is quite functional. Here in Russia it's not usually very bright outside (not in winter, at least), but I often leech Wi-Fi from a nearby shopping mall - under it's flourescent lights and because I always turn my LCD brightness down to halfway or less (battery conservation) when I'm running on battery it can be very difficult to see properly (dark wallpapers are right out in those situations). If I had decent internet at home it wouldn't be an issue, but I have to pay $0.10/MB (not a typo!) for internet here. So needless to say, for podcasts, movies, anything from iTMS, it's off to the mall. :rolleyes:

Kaidomac, I hear you on those Ultrabrite glossy LCDs! I got my Mom a Toshiba notebook with that 15.4" widescreen while I was home for Christmas and I jokingly said to her, "OK, I want to swap." That is one heck of a nice LCD! I haven't seen a MacBook Pro up close but if the new LCDs on them rival the Ultrabrite then Apple has a winner - otherwise, they still have some work to do. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Quashu said:
that's a dissappointment to me that their products are all made in china....
because everything I've bought that's made in china are not reliable.(eletronics stuff of course, not food)

Why don't apple team up with a good LCD company so they can make nice LCDs like toshiba and sony.
The macBook Pros' LCDs are as bright as the Apple Cinema displays, and they don't use "truBrite" technology because it's less accurate in terms of displaying colors. And considering that a sizable part of Apple's target audience is the media editing crowd, that kind of thing is important to them. The macBook Pro LCD is without a doubt better than pretty much every other laptop LCD because I've yet to see one that even comes close to matching one of Apple's cinema displays. And place of manufacture does not really matter here since it is ultimately Apple that designs these things and gives exact instruction to the factories in terms of what to do.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I see,
actually I just went to worstbuy and looked at the label of all their laptops,
all of them, including sony, are made in china. So i have no problem with that.
I just have one question--
do anyone's eyes feel tired after using the apple's lcd for a while?
I uses eMac(got it 1 year ago for free, cpu is 1ghz with 512 ram) in my office and I noticed my eyes feel tired faster than
if I use this NEC laptop i bought in japan 3 years ago.
So that's why I am hesitant to get a laptop from apple. but if nobody has any problems with it then I'll probably get one.

Discerptor said:
The macBook Pros' LCDs are as bright as the Apple Cinema
displays, and they don't use "truBrite" technology because it's less accurate in terms of displaying colors. And considering that a sizable part of Apple's target audience is the media editing crowd, that kind of thing is important to them. The macBook Pro LCD is without a doubt better than pretty much every other laptop LCD because I've yet to see one that even comes close to matching one of Apple's cinema displays. And place of manufacture does not really matter here since it is ultimately Apple that designs these things and gives exact instruction to the factories in terms of what to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.