Upgrading to 27-inch External Display for early 2011 MBP - Recs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S iPod Nano 6th Gen MacBook Pro (2011) -OS: OS X v.10.6.8 -Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
I'd like to upgrade my external monitor for my early 2011 MBP. I've poured through thread after thread on this and other forums and the more relevant ones are either a couple of years old or the newer ones are for people with very different needs. Below are details...

Current Hardware
MBP early 2011 13"
16GB RAM
2.3Ghz Intel Core i5
Intel HD 3000 512MB graphics (is this my graphics card???)

Current External Display
Dell UltraSharp 2209WA
- I use the DVI to Thunderbolt adaptor (is Thunderbolt synonymous with DisplayPort?).

Why I'm upgrading
No problems with the Dell - I would just like a bigger monitor for occasionally watching movies, video clips, etc from a distance. I also use a standing desk and occasionally pace around with wireless trackpad and keyboard - would be nice to see better and not strain my eyes as much.

How I use the my MBP
I tinker in amateur video editing and it also serves as my work computer.
No gaming or professional video work at this point.

What features I'd like
- 27 inch display
- DVI compatible.
- Thunderbolt compatible.
- Matte-finish would be nice but not necessary.
- IPS would be nice, but I read so many different things about IPS v LED, etc. and still open to advice.
- Open to suggestions on resolution. I think 1920x1080 will work for now because the 2560x1440 are so spendy (except for the Monoprice). As I get better at video work and learn more about contrast ratio, color gamut, resolution, and other variables I'm currently unaware of, I will pay the premium for the best.

Summary
For now, I'd like a monitor that will spare my eyes, be compatible with my MBP, and serve amateur needs for 1-2 years. I paid $179 for the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 1 year ago and it has worked well for me. No dead pixels, etc. - I just want a bigger monitor. If I can resell it for $100 or so, I will consider that year worth it. I have the same mindset with the 27-inch upgrade.

Here is what I'm considering at this point:
1) Monoprice 27" 2560x1440: ($389)
Amazon.com : Monoprice 27" IPS-ZERO-G Slim Monitor WQHD 2560x1440 - Dual Link DVI, VGA : Computer Monitors : Computers & Accessories

2) ViewSonic VX2703MH-LED 27-Inch LED-Lit LCD Monitor: ($237)
Amazon.com: ViewSonic VX2703MH-LED 27-Inch LED-Lit LCD Monitor: Computers & Accessories

3) LG 27EA33V Black 27-Inch Widescreen LED Anti-Glare Monitor, 1080p Slim IPS-Panel:
($280)
Amazon.com: LG 27EA33V Black 27-Inch Widescreen LED Anti-Glare Monitor, 1080p Slim IPS-Panel, VGA, DVI, HDMI: Computers & Accessories

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S iPod Nano 6th Gen MacBook Pro (2011) -OS: OS X v.10.6.8 -Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Bump.

Anybody have any awesome experience with a mid-level 27 inch external display or recommendations per first or second-hand experience?

Cheers.

Reaction score
I don't have much experience with 27" displays but I will make a comment about the mono price display. If you want to be able to use that display at 2560x1440 you will need to get a display port to dual link dvi adapter which has mixed reviews. I have also heard that there is a lot of back light bleeding with that monitor as well. I was considering one of those because of the price and that it can do 2560x1440. But if you would still like to get the mono price monitor I would avoid getting the one you listed and get the one linked below as it has a display port input so you would just need a mini display port to display port cable.
27" IPS-Glass Panel Pro LED Monitor WQHD 2560x1440- 440cd/m2 - HDMI® 1.4 / DVI / VGA / DisplayPort 1.2 w/Built in Speakers - Monoprice.com

Considering you have an Dell ultrasharp I would definitely get an IPS display if you get an led or lcd display you may be a little disappointed with the viewing angles as you will be moving around.

The only 27" i have used is the Dell U2713H, Apple Cinema Displays and iMacs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the response, d-shade. What is your experience with the Dell Ultrasharp?

The more I research, the more I realize that if I'm going to go with a 27" monitor, I should just pay the premium for the 2560x1440 in a good brand or not get one at all. The 27" 1440p is on average about $250-275 more expensive than the 1080p.

Right now, my finalists are the Dell U2713H ($586 new/$530 Refurb) and the Asus PB278Q ($550 New/$446 Used). This way, I could just get myself a DisplayPort to MiniDisplay Port adaptor and connect an Apple TV to the monitor.
*Anyone have experience buying used monitors off Amazon or Ebay from a reputable seller?

Aside:
Also going to get an Apple TV and connecting it to monitor as well to double as a media center which would require HDMI connection. Curious why Apple Thunderbolt doesn't offer HDMI connection. They could have scored some double purchase folks like myself.

Reaction score
Thank you for the response, d-shade. What is your experience with the Dell Ultrasharp?
The Dell Ultrasharp(U2711 not the U2713H) I have is the one I purchased for my girlfriend so I only use it on occasion normally when she screws up her computer some how. The times I have used it, it is a great monitor the colors look good considering it was supposed to be calibrated by dell. The viewing angles are excellent as it is an ips display there are also a good collection of inputs on that monitor as well.
mr.cotton;1559129[B said:
*Anyone have experience buying used monitors off Amazon or Ebay from a reputable seller? [/B]
I personally have not bought any used monitors from ebay or amazon. I have purchased refurbished monitors from dell, but that is all the experience I have had with used monitors.

Curious why Apple Thunderbolt doesn't offer HDMI connection. They could have scored some double purchase folks like myself.
Third party manufactures are the only ones that make the minidisplay to hdmi. It is possible to go from minidisplay to dvi and get the dvi to hdmi cable or an adapter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.