"Image Deployment" in Mac

Reaction score
Hello!

I just got my first Mac, a Macbook Air. Love it..

On my Windows PC, I used to screen capture, then paste (Ctrl+V) the image into Paint, then make some modification or just crop the image, then save the image, and lastly upload it to imgur or something (so I could post in a forum board).

I have no idea how to do these equivalent steps in a Mac, and haven't seen a Paint-like application. Any hints or advice? ;)

Reaction score
OS X doesn't come with a Paint-like app. For that function you can use Paintbrush: Paintbrush | Home

As far as process, you can use "command"+"shift"+"4" to bring up a targetting pointer which you can use to drag out a section of screen. Upon release, it is saved as a PNG on your desktop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just to crop, double click on the saved image - it will open in Preview

Head for the Tools menu - there are other options there as well.

C

chas_m

Screen Capture -- either shift-command-3 (whole screen) shift-command-4 (selected area)

Double-click the image, Preview will open, you can crop and do some basic modifications. If you need more, take a look at Skitch or Monosnap (which I think are both free).

(just clarifying S.Subzero and Tom's suggestions)

Reaction score
And you need to make a selection in Preview before the crop tool is un-greyed out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.